Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive Hedgeing

• 05-08-2014 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I want to put a small hedge along my drive. Something similar to buxus hedging. Want to keep it 12-18 inches high. i would go with buxus hedging but its very expensive. I would need about 60meters of hedging. any other cheaper suggestions out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Bare-root box will be available from November and should cost less than 1 euro per plant. (Shop around and try buy from a large Nursery if you decide to go with it as they might be able to sell it cheaper)

Lavander, I guess, could be an option. You could even grow them from seed (mine shot up like rockets until I forgot to water them) and they're evergreen and tough as boots.

Berberis...atropurpurea nana
    Rosmarinus
    Santolina

Happened across these 3 last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Hello soloeffort79

As lazybones said, the best way to buy box hedging is to buy as bareroot.

This can be bought in Late October.
    Box should be planted at 5 plants per metre. So you would need 300 plants.

An alternative to that would be cistus purpureus - this gives an informal, evergreen hedge which flowers over the summer months.
    You would plant these every 60cm - you would need 100 plants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lonicera nitida looks a lot like box and is very easy to grow and propagate. It is a lot more vigorous than box though and would have to be kept very closely trimmed.

I would go for the box, for preference.

Berberis would be good too, Berberis darwinii Compacta (Nana) is a dwarf evergreen with flowers and berries (and thorns).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

I'm planning on planting a substantial amount of box in November once the bare roots are available. The soil they are going in is currently grassed so I presume I should be spraying this off now, is there anything else I should do to prepare the soil? I'll be keeping the box to around 18" high when shaping it in the future, how wide a strip of the grass should I kill off, 12-18" or more? Or maybe a better question is how wide does the box usually get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Hello Clint

To prepare the area for box hedging you can cut the grass first, they spray with roundup or Rambo weed killer (100ml per 5l of water)

Spray now and the area will be ready for planting in November

Box would get about a foot wide and when planting it is best to dig a trench 1ft wide and 1ft deep

Ideally you should add fertiliser or rotted farm yard manure to the base of the trench when planting

Space plant at 5 per metre and water in well. If roots are dry the plants should be soaked for 10 minutes prior to planting

Within 2yrs you will have a well defined box hedge

For more advise See our product page and planting guides on our website: thegardenshop

Regards

John
    Thegardenshop

• Advertisement
Advertisement