Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending deck

Options
  • 05-08-2014 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi All,

I'm hoping to get some information on the possibility of extending the apartment decking. Its a ground floor apartment with a flower bed in front. We could extend the deck by 4 planks and not touch any shrubbery. It would not affect any other tenants. Would the management company allow us to extend or is it just not allowed?

No other tenant could extend as they all have paths infront of theirs.

I know that as it is a deck no planning permission would be needed etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

you will probably find that the deck is the property of the management company itself and you have a 'right of Access' to use it subject to payment of service fee.

Best bet is the check with the company directors. I doubt they would agree to it though as it constitutes an alteration to the building which will require approval by the block insurer and director authorisation and time to review.

There is probably a reasonable reason why the deck finishes where it does. Maybe its just not obvious to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Lantus wrote: »
    you will probably find that the deck is the property of the management company itself and you have a 'right of Access' to use it subject to payment of service fee.

Best bet is the check with the company directors. I doubt they would agree to it though as it constitutes an alteration to the building which will require approval by the block insurer and director authorisation and time to review.

There is probably a reasonable reason why the deck finishes where it does. Maybe its just not obvious to you?

Absolutely. By extending the deck you would in effect be taking over more of the common areas effectively annexing it for your apartment. The management company should not permit this as it's in the interest of a single unit only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 arronvz

Thanks. So I should approach the management company first and plead my case and let them decide.

Advertisement