Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England is better than France for caravan/camper holidays.

Options
  • 05-08-2014 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

I know I should put: "Discuss" or a question mark at the end of that but you often getting a better reaction with a bold statement!:D

It's my personal opinion, and while I dont necessarily want/have to change everyones mind, it strikes me that England seems to under represented by Irish 'campers' (to use a general phrase). While we'd meet loads of Irish in France, you hardly ever see another Irish reg once you get beyond the environs of the ferry.

I've holidayed in both over the last 6 years, 3 all at this stage. It went F/E/E/F/F/E. Just back from England and it was fantastic, v lucky with the weather I suppose.

Anyone else agree that Irish people aren't giving England enough of a chance? I'm sure at some stage I'll do a Summer camping holiday in Ireland (have done plenty of weekends), its just that the park facilities are so poor in Ireland (no swimming pools, no bar/entertainment) that wouldnt encourage you.

An undiscovered gem - Tenby in South West Wales (same general area as Pembroke Dock), beautiful lively seaside town with a lovely beach, a wonderful surprise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Uk sites dont come close on facilities though. Take for example the site we stayed at for our last few days in France - moulin de Cadillac had 5 indoors slides at the indoor pool (the relief of not havong to plaster the kids in factor 50!). and a long outdoor slide, at the outdoor pool. Pet farm, bouncy castle, mini golf, stocked fishing lake and really good evening entertainment for €45 per night for van plus 5.

Disagree. Cheap diesel (nearly £1.50 in UK), tobacco, alcohol, good food, real bread, public potable water, warm seas, civilised nightlife, part of the mainland (oh the novelty of border hopping on road). I spend 4+ month's a year in the UK. France all the way hands down.
    Uk'd be lucky to make it to my top 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

Uk is too much like home, same old stuff in the shops, driving on the same side of the road etc etc. France or further is a holiday not to mention the choice of campsites. Not the UK for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gerryt50

Travelled to England for 3 years before getting up the nerve to go to France. Sir Liamalot is right the diesel is dear especially on motorways and the higher you get in Scotland.

At the time (2009) as we were new to camping outside Ireland we joined the caravan club as their campsites looked good and as it turned out they were fine for us. Over those holidays we travelled around Scotland(Loch Ness) down to Cumbria (stars of cars and James Bond museums)We went to Holmfirth, home of "Last of the Summer Wine", London and LEGOLAND.

In 2012 kids were bigger and we were braver so we travelled to France. We loved it and went back the following year. Unfortunately we were unable to return this year due to a family wedding and other commitments using up my days off, but we are already making plans for next year.

We are heading for Devon for a week at the end of August just because we would like to see it, so I agree with Betsy, we don't give England enough of a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We did England and Wales this year. We did cheat on London, and stay with relations outside the low emission zone though. Stayed in Kiln Park in Tenby which is a Haven site - certainly no shortage of Irish there (although not everyone would be enhancing our reputation!).

We're kinda building up to going to France - at the moment we're a bit restricted to only 10 days or so trips, so don't feel we can justify the travel time and money to France. With the big caveat of not having been to France, my impression remains that while the campsites are (in general) better value in the Britain than here, they still wouldn't compare to France, so it's still on our list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Disagree. Cheap diesel (nearly £1.50 in UK), part of the mainland (oh the novelty of border hopping on road). I spend 4+ month's a year in the UK. France all the way hands down.
    Uk'd be lucky to make it to my top 5.

As against the cheaper diesel you have the extra cost & time of the ferry, distances tend to be longer in France so you're burning more, even if cheaper per litre, and if you use toll roads they are quite expensive - so from the perspective of someone starting out in Ireland (and only on a 2 to 3 week holiday) I dont think cost savings swings it for France, the opposite would be my experience.

I can see that if you can spend a good part of the year touring that the continent gives you more scope and better weather for longer, but that's a different 'market' if you like to what I'm talking about. Also, since you spend so long in the UK already I can see why you'd want a change.

I find the UK campsite facilities to be more or less on a par with France - we're talking about UK 'holiday parks' as opposed to regular campsites.

One thing I like about the UK, and I realise its more a personal interest thing, but I find I've much more interest in the historical/cultural attractions in the UK. I loved the Normandy beach landing sites, and would hope to do the WWI sites - and ok they would beat anything in the UK, but chateau this or Louis the XVIXXZZZZ does nothing for me. Whereas Portsmouth Dock with the Mary Rose, HMS Victory etc etc is a great day out. National Motor Museum in the New Forest, also an enjoyable day. I'd find myself more interested in seeing stuff associated with english authors, TV programmes, even soccer stadia etc as compared to France.

For kids I think Legoland is probably better than Disneyland Paris, you have Harry Potter as well in the Greater London area. We met a couple from the North with kids and they had a great time in Blackpool (apparently tidied up a bit recently - I wouldnt be a huge fan of the town myself).

So I suppose my overall sense is that England seems to be very underrated compared to France, & even if overall people prefer France is it necessarily worth the price premium every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Macy0161 wrote: »
    With the big caveat of not having been to France, my impression remains that while the campsites are (in general) better value in the Britain than here, they still wouldn't compare to France, so it's still on our list!

Of course its on your list, as it will remain on mine. This isnt an either/or scenario, I'll definitely be back in France many many times (if the Lord spares us the health & we have the few shillings!! :D). It would be boring if it was the same every year.

My sense was just that people think France wins hands down every time (and replies here confirm), wheras I'd say give England a closer look. I know I should say Britain. Seriously considered going to Scotland this year - might go when the kids are a little older (the parks are Irish-style, i.e. v basic, and its probably a trip that better suits a campervan) - love the scenery & the historical stuff. Have been before by car.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Ferry : Ireland - UK costs the same as Ireland - France. So France it is. For cheaper diesel, better weather, kids learn new language/meet people from so many other countries or practice what they learned so far in school. My 7 year old fella had a different girlfriend at each site this year :) and they were French, German, Dutch, English, and Belgian. I have travelled landbridge via UK to Netherlands and Germany - the motorways in France are far better. Never seen traffic jams/ delays like UK. Not everyone going to France travels a long distance. Some stay in Brittany or Normandy only. No tolls in Brittany. You can also travel south without using toll roads. Also a lot of the main attractions have their own aire de service e.g. Grand Parc Puy du Fou, Futuroscope.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

2 changes to the thread title "England" > "UK" and "is better than" > "is as good as" and I fully agree with Betsy!

Been to France (Vendee) and not long back from South Wales (Brecon/Gower/Tenby).

They are both very different and it depends in a given year what you are after:
    Alot of time/money to spend or not so much time/money to spend.
    Spend two days to get there and back or half a day to get there and back.
    Enthusiastic to experience different language/culture or not.
    Wall-to-wall 30+ degree heat that France can regularly offer or not.
    Aires or Campsites.
    Kids to entertain or not.
    Many many variables. Depending on circumstances sometimes the UK will win sometimes France. But they are as good as each other.

T650 wrote: »
    Ferry : Ireland - UK costs the same as Ireland - France.

From my experience this year not true at all (granted booked in May for early July).
    Rosslare - Pembroke €400
    Rosslare - Cherbourg €1600

No brainer!

• Advertisement

Example of return trip in September - 5 euro difference for my wife and I if we travel with our motorhome. And I agree there are many many variables.

Example of return trip in September - 5 euro difference for my wife and I if we travel with our motorhome. And I agree there are many many variables.

And add to those variables:
    Travel any time or travel at peak times (School Easter/Summer hols)!
    Try your dates for next week (second week of August) and you will find there is more of a difference than €5 - more like €350 :eek:

Well with such a short time to book I'd be fecked. :) No 2 person cabins left at this stage but if I do add on the price for a 2 person cabin the difference in price is only € 24. Anyway I always book too far in advance and torment myself with the long wait knowing I have dates confirmed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

Thats it. And when you use an ACSI card at campsites or use Aires in France there is a significant saving per night as against the UK and if you like a glass of wine it can be bought cheaply in France and brought home in whatever quantity you want.
    There is no doubt the UK has a lot to offer, but not a cash saving, for those who can travel outside of peak season.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

3 of us in camper heading off to France on monday, Rosslaire to Cherburg, for €520.
    I do agree that UK would be a great place to go and have wanted to travel there for many years but unfortunately my wife won't go due to the unreliable weather.
    Anywhere on the west coast of Britain from south to north would do for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

darkvalley wrote: »
    3 of us in camper heading off to France on monday, Rosslaire to Cherburg, for €520.
    I do agree that UK would be a great place to go and have wanted to travel there for many years but unfortunately my wife won't go due to the unreliable weather.
    Anywhere on the west coast of Britain from south to north would do for me!

You should check out the Climate stats for the South and southwest of England. I suspect you'll find the weather there a better prospect than in Ireland and sure if it's not working out you are always only some hours from Dover and a quick hop into France.

Betsy Og wrote: »
    ....distances tend to be longer in France

Nah, they have the metric system over there, they're smaller but there's more of them. :pac:
    Betsy Og wrote: »
    ... since you spend so long in the UK already I can see why you'd want a change.

Mute point, I've spent just as long in France as in UK, albeit different years.

wine_zps74e8176f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Heading to France 21 Aug for 2 weeks. Only booked about a month ago, but still got the round trip for about 500 Euro. Coming back in the month of September helps a lot, but remember the ferries cease the kids entertainment etc after the end of August. we plan to go to England next summer, want to visit Hereford and surrounds, and also Cornwall, Eden project etc. I suppose people get into a frame of mind that precludes travel to England. I mean, it's right there , isn't it? Just next door. and if you have 2 weeks holidays, would you rather go next door or abroad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Our friends and family are in Surrey and Hampshire, the weather is fantastic as good or better than northern france on average but its still too much like home. Its a bit like paying a fortune to go on a boat and driving for ages and ending up in Malahide :pac:, I'd rather skip the boat and the driving and go to barleycove or derrynane or fanore or mullaghmore.

Advertisement