Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Marking Scheme

• 05-08-2014 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

So, I've been reading about the maths marking scheme on the offcia papers and I still don't really follow it, I understand that it's in different scales and all this jazz where some scales are "Low partial credit" and some are high but can someone explain it to me in dumb ass terms? :pac: Like would "Low partial credit" be classed as attempt marks and how many would they be? :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

* Official

That maths mod would be great right now <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

It depends on the question. You'll notice the question might be called a 5A this means you can only get 0 or 5 marks. It might be 5B which has no credit, partial credit or full credit, and depending on the marking scheme it might be a 0, 2,5 mark or 0,3,5 mark. Etc. It specifies all of that at the start of the marking scheme.

If that doesn't make sense, show me a specific exam question and I'll try to explain it.

Moody_mona wrote: »
    It depends on the question. You'll notice the question might be called a 5A this means you can only get 0 or 5 marks. It might be 5B which has no credit, partial credit or full credit, and depending on the marking scheme it might be a 0, 2,5 mark or 0,3,5 mark. Etc. It specifies all of that at the start of the marking scheme.

If that doesn't make sense, show me a specific exam question and I'll try to explain it.

I understand that but lets say a question is a "10C" (0, 6, 8, 10) What would be the bare minimum I would have to write down to get the lowest of "6"?

Oh sorry ok, that should also be written in the marking scheme. It will be phrased as something like "Any correct relevant step", "Any work of merit with indices", "correctly substitutes for x and y" etc and then for high partial it might say "corr cut equation formed but failed to finish", "incorrect formula but worked till end", "failed to convert to hours" etc. Completely depends on the question but the marking scheme will have it.

The marking schemes are laid out so they have sample answers, then a break down of all marks, and then what constitutes how many marks for each question, it's a very long document!

• Advertisement

Oh sorry ok, that should also be written in the marking scheme. It will be phrased as something like "Any correct relevant step", "Any work of merit with indices", "correctly substitutes for x and y" etc and then for high partial it might say "corr cut equation formed but failed to finish", "incorrect formula but worked till end", "failed to convert to hours" etc. Completely depends on the question but the marking scheme will have it.

The marking schemes are laid out so they have sample answers, then a break down of all marks, and then what constitutes how many marks for each question, it's a very long document!

So for a 10C question you could get the minimum of 6/10 marks with just a very barebones attempt at the question?

I don't think I've ever seen a 10C be (0,6,8,10) open to correction, but it's more likely to be (0,4,7,10). The marks going can change from exam to exam, there's nothing saying 10C has to be split any way.

There was a statistic after you first LC Project Maths paper, that if you got low partial credit in every question you'd come out with something like 46%.

The examiners will determine what counts as a relevant step or work of merit.

There was a statistic after you first LC Project Maths paper, that if you got low partial credit in every question you'd come out with something like 46%.

The examiners will determine what counts as a relevant step or work of merit.

As in one part of each question? That really puts my worries to rest :O

Advertisement