Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Apple iPhone Event - September 9th

• 05-08-2014 6:58pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The source is John Paczkowski on Walt Mossberg’s Recode. They are both very friendly with Apple PR, who have used them in the past to leak info, meaning this is all but official.
    Apple has scheduled a big media event for Tuesday, Sept. 9 — a date to which Apple numerologists will strain to attribute significance. As with September events past, the focal point of this one is to be Apple’s next-generation iPhones, which are expected to feature larger displays of 4.7 and 5.5 inches and run speedy new A8 processors. Apple declined comment.

http://recode.net/2014/08/05/codered-apple-to-hold-iphone-event-on-sept-9/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

cant wait. First time in a while I'm looking forward to an Apple event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

A Galaxy Note 2 sized iPhone would get me interested!

I suppose a micro SD Card is out of the question? :)

Looking forward to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

symbolic wrote: »

Looking forward to this.

Definitely out of the question, but a 128gb version might not be...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sad we may be, but it's a fun time every year. :)

Looking forward to the announcements and a nervous wait after that to see if my local Vodafone shop can hook a brother up on launch day for the third time in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

symbolic wrote: »

Looking forward to this.

I don't understand the call for an SD card to be honest. Cloud services and iTunes match now mean I'll be dropping from 64b to 16gb on the next model. It's all very easy to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I do. SD cards are favourited by android folk because they're cheaper, you can buy the cheapest phone and then just buy a SD card to bump the storage. In return for a cheaper phone with expandable storage you get a terrible user experience and another hassle trying to manage where data lives (some people don't see this as a hassle but I want nothing to do with SD cards).

At least iCloud's ethos makes sense, all your data lives in the cloud and not sprawled across several sd cards and more importantly you don't have to care.

SD cards on iPhone will never happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Belfast here I come!

Who was up there with me last year? Damnit I can not remember :o

Depending on my trip to the States, I may be making the trip up North. Done it for the iPhone 4, really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Times like this I'm glad the Apple Store is only a ten minute drive from my house :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

At least iCloud's ethos makes sense, all your data lives in the cloud and not sprawled across several sd cards and more importantly you don't have to care.
    The thing is you only get 5GB of free storage. 20GB extra is €32 per year, the same price as a 64GB Micro SD card.

An extra 5GB is pretty useless, and you have to keep paying Apple to keep your stuff backed up if you want more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Dades wrote: »
    The thing is you only get 5GB of free storage. 20GB extra is €32 per year, the same price as a 64GB Micro SD card.

An extra 5GB is pretty useless, and you have to keep paying Apple to keep your stuff backed up if you want more.

They've reduced the price with the release of iOS 8. It's going to be 0.99c per month for 20GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Lots of other free cloud services with ios Apps can be used too. Dropbox, Google drive etc.

Bit messy but can be done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dades wrote: »

murpho999 wrote: »
    Lots of other free cloud services with ios Apps can be used too. Dropbox, Google drive etc.

Bit messy but can be done.

+1

I use Dropbox to back up my pictures and only use iCloud for all my documents and data on the phone, contacts etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Cloud storage is great until you go abroad, sorry I don't find looking for a way to slow wifi network enjoyable and if I roam more than 100mb/day (vodafone) it tends to get expensive.
    What I want to see -and I've said this for the last 2 phones- is that the entry level storage is 32Gb, 16gb is just a joke with the size of iOS alone. Also the pricing for the next step in storage was already reduced form €100 to €90 last time, but since this cost apple probably less than €5 I hope they review this pricing again.

I go 32 myself, then iCloud for everything else. If I'm in another country I pick up a local sim and get a data plan (this is where buying sim free pays off).

Also get yourself a Three UK sim free roaming in ireland and the states with data for like £10.

Advertisement