Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 graduate visa jobs- intern

Options
  • 05-08-2014 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

The visa is called an 'Intern' visa. A friend of mine is working with an American company here in Dublin and was hoping that they could keep their job and just work in the american office, the company ultimately said it wasnt possible because they would be doing the same job and would therefore not be an 'intern', and theyre a big enough company that couldn't really lie.

My question is can people only get internships on this visa?? or does anyone know of people who have gotten corporate jobs? not just internships? I figure, an actual job would require some training/induction therefore it wouldn't be too far off an 'internship'. This seems to be really limiting going to the states for a year and only being able to do an internship.

Any experience/thoughts would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Yes it's called an intern visa because it's ONLY for internships. Quite self explanatory. I read that a girl was deported recently for not fulfilling the terms of the visa. Any internship you take has to be approved with a training plan covering the time you plan to intern there. You are correct, there are strict limits on what you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pkh14

no its not self explanatory at all, hence why I posted this question. The visa company and a couple of people have told me that the world intern is used loosly and you can get actual jobs,I'v paid all the money and have my visa so I obviously know a bit about what the fact that its an internship visa but I'm hearing so much mixed information I wanted to get a few different opinions on it and peoples experiences. It's really frustrating being so limited going over and I'm going soon and am realising how limiting this visa really is.. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

it isn't for people in established careers...hence the internship.

For what your friend wants to do would involve the company sponsoring his visa in the L1 category, which would cost between 5k and 10k. This would allow them to work and live and give them leave to apply for residency

your friend could quit, apply for the visa and try their luck in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ewa24

Your friends best bet is the L1, so that they can get transferred over to the American company and you won't have to be an intern for that. However it is a very costly process and almost all applicants hire an attorney to do the work.
    The 12 month internship visa is far from 'self explanatory'. I'm currently on it and it is possibly the most awkward visa you could be on. You are getting so many mixed reviews because the verification of your 'internship'/job is heavily based on how sound your boss is. I know numerous applicants that got a real job, including myself and couldn't get the DS form signed off on because it was clearly not an internship I was on. I was 'filling a labour need'.
    But, I also know some people that had a sound enough boss to sign off on their papers saying they are doing so and so in relation to their degree.
    Luckily for me I had connections to get me a real job out here that is meant to be an 'internship'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Is that not breaking the rules though? It's self explanatory in that it's meant solely for internships? If people are going to find bosses willing to sign documentation that breaks the conditions of the visa and could be determined as being misleading then yes, perhaps it isn't self explanatory.

It's definitely an incredibly limited visa, however, it is what it is, if one choose to go on it then one should abide by the terms laid out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I just addressed this in the other thread actually, define an intern? Why would any company hire someone who didn't fulfill a need! Anyway as far as I'm aware it is a 'training visa' not an 'internship visa'. I did it for 2 years and my job title was 'Computer Engineer' but I had a detailed training plan for what I would be learning. If you're fresh out of college and you're not learning anything in your job then you need a different job!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ewa24

Exactly, why would a company hire a person who doesn't fulfill a labour need?!

Its ridiculous, you can't follow this visa by the rules even if one wanted to. For example on the DS Form part 3 clearly states 'That trainees and interns will not displace full- or part time, seasonal or permanent American workers, or serve to fill a labor need'. Your employer has to sign under all the conditions.

Advertisement