Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2014 Heatwave?

Options
  • 05-08-2014 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

I keep hearing media reports suggesting a heatwave in mid August to last until September. Is there any substance behind that forecast?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I keep hearing media reports suggesting a heatwave in mid August to last until September. Is there any substance behind that forecast?

Afraid not!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

......... looking about as likely as a white Christmas at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Why or where are the media getting this out of though?

Here. It took me about ten seconds to find the source of this nonsense.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/493781/SHOCK-WEATHER-FORECAST-Hottest-August-in-300-YEARS-on-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

The GFS and the ECM are hinting at a high pressure building towards Ireland at around 15th/16th of August. The problem is: weather forecasts for Ireland are only reliable for 4 or 5 days in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

MT Cranium even had this in a recent post: "Temperatures would be fairly warm despite a lot of cloud, and there's a growing chance of warm and sunny weather beyond that towards the second (and or third) weeks of August."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

sure it HAS to be true - its in an english rag in silly season.

Btw - its ALREADY totally wrong. Temps in England have been above normal in the past few days and similar to what they were for the past couple of weeks. Next week looks very similar to this week, basically fairly normal pattern slightly above normal temps.

Never ever believe sh1te weather headlines written by second rate journalists especially those who write for tabloid rags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hard to see where its coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

august will see a lot of warm sunny spells mixed with heavy showers for most of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭littlemouse22

"I believe there to be a heatwave, sure trust me I'm a weather man.."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

delahuntv wrote: »
    sure it HAS to be true - its in an english rag in silly season.

Btw - its ALREADY totally wrong. Temps in England have been above normal in the past few days and similar to what they were for the past couple of weeks. Next week looks very similar to this week, basically fairly normal pattern slightly above normal temps.

Never ever believe sh1te weather headlines written by second rate journalists especially those who write for tabloid rags.

I think in some cases we can go a little further and call these guys third rate....however, I think that is still being kind. I cannot believe how some of these actually gain employment and get paid for their 'skills'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Hold on, if MT Cranium picked it up, there must be some substance behind it somewhere? Or have the models changed since then?

ME were very pessimistic in their outlook up to and including weekend. Cool, showery weather especially for the midlands and east.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

ME were very pessimistic in their outlook up to and including weekend. Cool, showery weather especially for the midlands and east.

Was in the west for the weekend and despite rain forecast we have glorious sunshine and it was very warm. Today as well, driving in town and the gauge was ready 24C was glorious.

yes, I did hear temps "several degrees below normal" mentioned.
    I think we can write off August now as the Atlantic seems to be quite active.
    Nothing unusual I suppose as September has seen better weather than August in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

yes, I did hear temps "several degrees below normal" mentioned.
    I think we can write off August now as the Atlantic seems to be quite active.
    Nothing unusual I suppose as September has seen better weather than August in recent years.

Ya have to love the pessimists :)

I believe the weather will get better from mid August..

As someone pointed out already their is a hint of high pressure from the 15 / 16, and MT predicted mid August to be good...

Can we put this to bed? Brutal day here in south Tipp wet windy cool

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

There's a slight chance of a high buildup within a week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There's a slight chance of a high buildup within a week or so.

How slight? I need to get my driveway sealed and need a few days of sunshine to dry it out.

Met Eireann not holding out much hope of a heatwave this week. Forecast is for cool blustery weather...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Met Eireann not holding out much hope of a heatwave this week. Forecast is for cool blustery weather...

they are right, into next week looks very chilly for August, possible north-easterlys and central heating bills, seems like this month is payback for a decent June and July.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Gonzo wrote: »
    they are right, into next week looks very chilly for August, possible north-easterlys and central heating bills, seems like this month is payback for a decent June and July.

I dunno about very chilly. Its very much FI of course, but looking at the 12Z GFS for next week I see daytime highs of mid-high teens.

No sign of any "heatwave" though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

I doubt we'll get the heatwave now, and I have bought stuff for the BBQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Wore the fleece jacket in this morning to work, first time since mid May. Distinctly autumnal feel early on at least. I'd say September will throw a week or two of warm settled weather, it usually does after a bad August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Accuweather is showing a really nice September already.

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Accuweather is showing a really nice September already.

It's all Fantasy Island though so means nothing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Wore the fleece jacket in this morning to work, first time since mid May. Distinctly autumnal feel early on at least. I'd say September will throw a week or two of warm settled weather, it usually does after a bad August.

Ireland nearly always delivers a fantastic first half of September with temperatures into the low 20s, I even remember getting 21C a few times in early October. August has always been rubbish tho.

I think it was October 2010, I remember getting 21C with 22C in the Pheonix Park, then a few weeks later we all know what happened, we transformed from sitting in the grass eating Ice-Cream to building snowmen in a matter of 2 to 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

i also noticed an autumnal feel in the air the last 2 days in dublin. maybe it was the breeze when i was walking in the woods, lots of leaves falling and the intense showers.

Any updates on this? Its bloody cold tonight anyway. Wouldn't be at all confident of warm weather. It's 10 days now since this was 'reported'

• Advertisement

Any updates on this? Its bloody cold tonight anyway. Wouldn't be at all confident of warm weather. It's 10 days now since this was 'reported'

There is no August heatwave, there never was im afraid. There hopecasting of pressure building but was always FI unfortunately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement