Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strangest thing you've seen while out with your pet

• 05-08-2014 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

(Disclaimer: thread idea stolen from another forum:o)

Here's my strangest experience while walking my dogs.

I live on the edge of a seemingly sleepy little village. Our walk in the morning usually incorporates a loop of the local graveyard, just to get away from the road and because it's nice and eh... quiet! One morning, at about 7.30am we were on our loop when a saw a movement out the side of my eye. I looked over and a female figure rose up from a grave :eek::eek::eek:

"Oh Good morning" she said and we proceeded to have a nice chat for the next five minutes as if it were completely normal to be asleep on a grave at that time of the morning. we chatted about my dogs, the dog she used to have that her brother tried to drown but she saved but he was never the same again:mad: and her old cat called... something very clever that I can't remember now. She was very well spoken and intelligent but had the look of someone who drank a lot. Her nose was also injured :( While we chatted I could see a man sidle out from the church ruins and sort of slowly almost glide from headstone to headstone, occasionally glancing over at me until he reached the exit lane. Really tall, thin and pale he looked a bit spooky and I was suddenly glad one of my dogs tends to bark at men.
    I continued on my loop and neither were anywhere to be seen when I got to that point again. I went home wondering had that really just happened and also a bit sad for the woman :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Wow, that is strange!

Can't say much exciting happens on my walks, though I was really amazed to see a woman walking her two yorkies... and her ferret. She let me hold him, he was really sweet.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I guess it was the gunshots in the bushes yards from where we walked followed by pigeons trying to fly away in a local public park.

My dogs did not even flinch but me & the OH left promptly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Not while out with a pet, but sticking with the graveyard theme. We went for a walk in an old graveyard in England, I like to look at the old headstones. Anyways, there was a cat sitting on a grave and at the side of the graveyard was a gold ring, must've been a wedding ring. Strange and sad really, must've been the church cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Well I can't match the graveyard story (can anyone?!) but one morning a few weeks ago I was out first thing with the 2 mutts, there's a beautiful white cat I see I lot, I know the house she lives in and she's very well cared for, I usually see her sitting on the wall of the house or in their garden but this morning she was sitting on the window ledge. Of the 1st story of the house. I couldn't get close enough to take a picture unless I walked up their driveway but I stood there staring for ages trying to work out how she got up there, there was no porch front for her to have jumped from or any pipes or anything, I just could not work it out. And how was she going to get down?!!

Anyways I've seen her since and she's not remotely injured or limping so I guess she managed to get down perfectly fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Sadly most of the "strange" stuff I've seen is NSFW :eek: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

tk123 wrote: »
    Sadly most of the "strange" stuff I've seen is NSFW :eek: :pac:

I was expecting some such stories :pac: I

knine gunshots :eek:

I suppose in 4 years of dog walking that was my only really strange experience! One of my dogs would lose her mind if we met a ferret... cats are bad enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Tea Tree wrote: »
    I was expecting some such stories :pac: I

knine gunshots :eek:

Yep someone appeared to be shooting the wildlife for dinner in a public park. Another local park has signs asking people "Not to 'remove' the birds from the lake'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Well I can't match the graveyard story (can anyone?!) but one morning a few weeks ago I was out first thing with the 2 mutts, there's a beautiful white cat I see I lot, I know the house she lives in and she's very well cared for, I usually see her sitting on the wall of the house or in their garden but this morning she was sitting on the window ledge. Of the 1st story of the house. I couldn't get close enough to take a picture unless I walked up their driveway but I stood there staring for ages trying to work out how she got up there, there was no porch front for her to have jumped from or any pipes or anything, I just could not work it out. And how was she going to get down?!!

Anyways I've seen her since and she's not remotely injured or limping so I guess she managed to get down perfectly fine.

Could she not just have got out of the window? And then back in again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

muddypaws wrote: »
    Could she not just have got out of the window? And then back in again?

You know that never actually occurred to me....:o the windows were all closed but I suppose she could have got out there without them realising. Ha, can't believe I never thought of that :rolleyes:....although you have kind of ruined the mystery of the magic climbing cat for me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

A tad more on the 'funny' side of strange... We are just back from a few days camping with the dogs and on Monday (whole walking the campsite) we heard beeping from a parked campervan.

We both turned to see two dogs (one in the passenger seat, one in the drivers) with the Scotty in the drivers seat barking and jumping on the horn, beeping our dogs. The other (King Charles) was barking along.

We laughed our heads off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You know that never actually occurred to me....:o the windows were all closed but I suppose she could have got out there without them realising. Ha, can't believe I never thought of that :rolleyes:....although you have kind of ruined the mystery of the magic climbing cat for me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Sorry. :D I used to have a cat flap, but have recently got rid of it, and now leave a window open for the cat to come in and out, in the winter its going to be closed a lot, and I'm not sure how he's going to cope. lol Obviously I won't close it if he's outside, only when I know he's in the house.

I prefer Kylith's explanation though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hooked wrote: »
    A tad more on the 'funny' side of strange... We are just back from a few days camping with the dogs and on Monday (whole walking the campsite) we heard beeping from a parked campervan.

We both turned to see two dogs (one in the passenger seat, one in the drivers) with the Scotty in the drivers seat barking and jumping on the horn, beeping our dogs. The other (King Charles) was barking along.

We laughed our heads off...

I lol'd :pac:

Funniest thing I've seen lately is magpies dive bombing a squirrel - you could imagine the sound of plane engines in a war movie :pac:

Funniest/Dumbest of all time was just after xmas when a kid old enough to know better tried to cycle down the slide - ouch :pac:

One strange thing was a guy who came into the park (bare footed) and doing some mad martial arts so basically hissing thru his teeth and punching/kicking the air with every step. The dogs all went WTF?! and barked the place down at him... but he kept going on his way kicking and punching.

Another was a guy doing crossfit - jumps over the railing to the playground, jumps up and starts doing pull ups on the front of the fireman's pole with a queue of kids waiting to go down it, jumps down and jumps over the fence and runs off - everyone was :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭hollytrees

Was walking down a nice country lane past a house with my dogs and all I could hears as. neighbours at it! Luckily didn't see anything 😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Saw a leg on Dollymount Beach a few years ago. Guards/detectives we're already there and when I went to take photos of the leg, I was told to delete them as it was a crime scene (which I later learnt is rubbish).

Used to have this neighbour who was always fobbing her kids off on people and then disappearing for a few hours. They moved to Romania last year. Was near the top of Howth Head at Easter and in the distance I saw this family I sort of recognised. Lo and behold it was your woman with her kids. Within two minutes she'd made some excuse and left me with her kids!

Advertisement