Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I/O shield and motherboard help

• 05-08-2014 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Those little fins on the I/O shield around the ports are obstructing the motherboard from seating in and being able to screw the motherboard to the standoffs as they are all facing inwards, what should I do? Bend them back into the case? Push them out and obstruct the ports? I don't know. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Just an update, have finally just got it aligned with screws in, just had two hands when more would've made it so much easier. Magnetic screwdriver was bugging me off as as soon as I got the board aligned with the standoff, the screw just wouldn't screw in so had to do a lot of it by hand. A lot more work than I thought just to screw down the motherboard!

Anyway, does anybody know if leaving one screw off will matter? I assume it won't, it's not touching any of the case and the whole motherboard is well risen, just this last screw I can't get to as it's under the RAM and CPU cooler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The fins of the I/O should be inside the case and laying against the metal of the connector sockets, not bent back out of the way.

I would not let a motherboard in situ without all of the screws inserted and tightened.

If necessary remove the RAM and anything else obstructing you and screw the motherboard in properly.

By your description it is likely that the remaining screw is very important to support the weight of the CPU cooler dragging on the motherboard.

Advertisement