Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours dog barking as left out all day alone

• 05-08-2014 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Is there anything that can be done ? They walk the dog alright but the rest of the time he is left it in a tiny back garden and literally barks from morning to night. It's so distressing listening to him. is there anything u can do. The owner is odd as hell so be afraid to mention to her. I know there are alot worse cases of cruelty but surely this counts as cruelty too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

A dog should not be barking all day or left on its own all day.
    A complaint to the council re noise could also work, keep a track of dates and times of barking and report.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The official protocol is to approach the neighbour to see if you can get a resolution to the problem.
    Then, you make a complaint in writing to the council using a prescribed form that you can usually download from the local council website.
    This may (but not necessarily) prompt a visit by the warden to visit the owner to resolve the issue before it gets to court.
    If no resolution is gained by this stage, it goes to court and if your case is proven, a number of options are open to the Judge. Going to court will mean that there is an onus on you to provide evidence, such as keeping a contemporaneous diary of the barking, or recordings.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/sec0025.html#sec25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Has he got shelter from the weather? They are strict on that rule.
    I had years of arguing with a neighbour over 3 dogs in succession that howled and were left out in all weathers. Dog wardens etc involved, horrible atmosphere when I'd meet them outside as they knew it had to be me. Thank goodness they have not had one in a few years. All 3 sad disaster stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Well called around to try talk to her twice and tell her dogs need company.said I'd been onto animal rescue who offered to rehome for her if i could convince her to do so. She said she walks it for an hour and it's an outside dog and HER property so mind my own business. Ended with her shouting "stupid bitch" after me and ordering me off her property-yikes , I obviously handled that badly! will contact council and ispca but doubt anything will come of it- she said she has him licenced and claimed to bring him in at night - he's always outside at 7am so don't know if that's true! He does seem well fed and she does walk him , its just the lack of contact for at least 15 hours a day if not 22( which in my eyes is total cruelty but doubt the laws in this country will agree). Poor dog.

There is a shed in the back so maybe he has shelter.i can't tell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Start recording it if you can and keep a log of when it's happening.

filed out company form on ispca site today and was amazed to get a reply back looking for directions to the address. I thought they'd only investigate cases of physical cruelty. Best case scenario, she brings dog indoors following a warning (I can put up with dirty looks and abuse of makes a difference to his life).
    As an aside, I've been amazed at the amount of people I've spoken to recently who see nothing at all wrong in a dog being left alone outdoors most of the time- even people who claim to love dogs! Starting to think I'm being fanatical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Well done for persisting, hopefully something will change now for the poor dog. Youre not being fanatical at all, unfortunately way too many people have no understanding that dogs need and crave company and social interaction.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

seefin wrote: »
    filed out company form on ispca site today and was amazed to get a reply back looking for directions to the address. I thought they'd only investigate cases of physical cruelty. Best case scenario, she brings dog indoors following a warning (I can put up with dirty looks and abuse of makes a difference to his life).
    As an aside, I've been amazed at the amount of people I've spoken to recently who see nothing at all wrong in a dog being left alone outdoors most of the time- even people who claim to love dogs! Starting to think I'm being fanatical

Well done Seefin, great work :)
    I think dogs, and perhaps cats too, are seen in Ireland as being farm animals, and as such it's perfectly acceptable for them to live out of the house. Now, whilst I don't sign up to this ideology, neither do I worry too much for working farm dogs who are out doing "stuff" with their owner for much of the day, or just hanging out with the owner whilst they go about their business around the yard and fields, as long as they have a nice, cozy spot to nestle down in for the night.
    This is the traditional way of things in Ireland at least.
    But what seems to have happened is that this has engendered an idea in people's heads that it's acceptable to keep their dogs outside, without taking into account that (a) they don't live on a farm, and (b) they're at work and out of the house for hugely long hours, and the dog alone all alone for that duration. Every day.
    But it doesn't carry across... it's got less to do with living outside the house, and more to do with social contact. I really think that many people in Ireland have not the slightest concept of how utterly important social contact is for a dog... it really is as basic a need to them as food and water.
    And this, I suspect, is where the ISPCA is coming from in your case. Under the new legislation, whilst it has many weaknesses, they have written in the "5 freedoms" of animal welfare, which includes that an animal should be free to express natural behaviours, and that if it is a social animal, it must have social contact.
    This, of course, covers quite a multitude, and rightly so.
    I'd thinking they'll rattle your neighbour's cage and do what they can to affect a better outcome for the dog, and consequently you. I really hope so. Good luck, and well done again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

DBB wrote: »
    Well done Seefin, great work :)
    I think dogs, and perhaps cats too, are seen in Ireland as being farm animals, and as such it's perfectly acceptable for them to live out of the house. Now, whilst I don't sign up to this ideology, neither do I worry too much for working farm dogs who are out doing "stuff" with their owner for much of the day, or just hanging out with the owner whilst they go about their business around the yard and fields, as long as they have a nice, cozy spot to nestle down in for the night.
    This is the traditional way of things in Ireland at least.
    But what seems to have happened is that this has engendered an idea in people's heads that it's acceptable to keep their dogs outside, without taking into account that (a) they don't live on a farm, and (b) they're at work and out of the house for hugely long hours, and the dog alone all alone for that duration. Every day.
    But it doesn't carry across... it's got less to do with living outside the house, and more to do with social contact. I really think that many people in Ireland have not the slightest concept of how utterly important social contact is for a dog... it really is as basic a need to them as food and water.
    And this, I suspect, is where the ISPCA is coming from in your case. Under the new legislation, whilst it has many weaknesses, they have written in the "5 freedoms" of animal welfare, which includes that an animal should be free to express natural behaviours, and that if it is a social animal, it must have social contact.
    This, of course, covers quite a multitude, and rightly so.
    I'd thinking they'll rattle your neighbour's cage and do what they can to affect a better outcome for the dog, and consequently you. I really hope so. Good luck, and well done again!

Loving your interpretation of the new legislation, DBB! Really, really hope this does begin to bear out like that in the day-to-day enforcement!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Dogs get bored, my friend lives in a housing estate where he has to put up with this, boredom has to come in to play here. what kind of a life is a dog living in your average semi detached house back yard/garden where its owner is gone all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Dogs get bored, my friend lives in a housing estate where he has to put up with this, boredom has to come in to play here. what kind of a life is a dog living in your average semi detached house back yard/garden where its owner is gone all day.

Absolutely, that is the point really. So many of us here on this forum just cannot understand why people feel the need to keep dogs at all, when they do not have the time and dedication to devote to keeping them happy and entertained.

A dog is not some toy or status symbol, only to acknowledge when it suits your time-table. It's a family member, as much in need of interaction and relationship work as any other. Obviously you understand this, but sadly, lots of people decide to just get one who don't.

bad news I'm afraid. This is email i got back from ISPCA

"The ISPCA deal with welfare issues as set out in the Animal Health and Welfare Act 2013

In the above act it does not state that you have to spend time with your animal or take it for walks etc. If the animals basic needs are met and the animal is healthy then under the above legislation no law is being broken. "

I was disgusted. Dogs are proven to be extremely social animals so how can they ignore their mental state. I know the ISPCA must have so many cases but I thought they not just send a letter to let her know that it's cruel to keep the dog outside alone for at least 15 hours a day. She doesn't get that at all . I might email them back and quote the 5 basic needs which they espouse on their website! Pretty disappointed with ISPCA I must say

I just replied to ispca mentioning the 5 freedoms and my disappointment at the lack of concern for animals mental wellbeing etc. Thanks for the support here- everyone in the real world is telling me to butt out, not my problem, why draw her on me etc! If even the animal welfare organisation don't acknowledge that dogs need social interaction, then nothing is going to change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

seefin wrote: »
    I just replied to ispca mentioning the 5 freedoms and my disappointment at the lack of concern for animals mental wellbeing etc. Thanks for the support here- everyone in the real world is telling me to butt out, not my problem, why draw her on me etc! If even the animal welfare organisation don't acknowledge that dogs need social interaction, then nothing is going to change

I'd say all SPCA's are stretched to the limit financially and would love to look at all cases like yours. The reality is that they are stuck and need to prioritise which cases they need to attend to. The response you got is probably one they regularly send out to dark barking cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I'd say all SPCA's are stretched to the limit financially and would love to look at all cases like yours. The reality is that they are stuck and need to prioritise which cases they need to attend to. The response you got is probably one they regularly send out to dark barking cases.

Hmmm, perhaps if they weren't paying their CEO a ridiculous salary they'd be able to help these sort of cases out

I'll go the barking route. poor thing barked constantly from 6.30 till 9pm last night . Surely this is excessive! I've two dogs myself who run out the dog flap anytime anyone passes the back wall to bark but they wouldn't bark for more than a few minutes at a time

You're right about them being overstretched- wish they'd just send out a warning letter though and tell the neighbour that in effect she is breaking a law. The reply from that man implied she's doing nothing wrong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Hmmm, perhaps if they weren't paying their CEO a ridiculous salary they'd be able to help these sort of cases out
    I'd doubt it; basically it would come down to a simple question like this "If this goes to court do we have a 95% win chance?" If no then do nothing because the way the books are stacked when losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

AFAIK it can come under the 'unsociable hours' rules. If the dog is barking before 8am and after 8pm then you may be able to get the Gardaí involved as it could be called a noise pollution issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement