Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download speed slower while using VPN?

Options
  • 05-08-2014 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Apologies if this is in the wrong spot but I have recently started to work from home for an overseas company and it looks as though my download speeds vary depending on whether I am connected via vpn for work and at other times. Speed tests are showing 5MB without vpn and only 500kB when using vpn.

Is this to be expected and any tips on avoiding?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

what vpn?

Some are sh1t.

Do you have to use a certain one?

Try PIA

http://www.greycoder.com/best-vpns-2014/#2

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

if you use a company vpn then your internet traffic will be routed through their network when connected to vpn, which must be slower than what your isp are providing...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

ellesse wrote: »
    Apologies if this is in the wrong spot but I have recently started to work from home for an overseas company and it looks as though my download speeds vary depending on whether I am connected via vpn for work and at other times. Speed tests are showing 5MB without vpn and only 500kB when using vpn.

Is this to be expected and any tips on avoiding?

That is to be expected. Keep in mind that there are 8 bits in a byte, so a 8Mbps connection from your ISP would give you 1MB p/second. So getting 4Mbps from your work VPN is to be expected.

Some connections may be faster than others which might explain from where you connect. Of course your home broadband connection will be much faster because it's like pushing everything through a tiny hole. Every time you browse the internet, your PC connects to your work, your work download the webpage and upload it again to you, where you download it.

That is not unusual. Where a lott of people are online at any one time (frequent in the afternoon and evenings for US companies since they are a good few hours behind), it will obviously slow down.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

what vpn?

Some are sh1t.

Do you have to use a certain one?

Try PIA

http://www.greycoder.com/best-vpns-2014/#2

I doubt that is going to help the OP since one of the main objectives of a VPN for remote workers is to securely connect to servers internally, e.g. Shared folders, VOIP, while often using security tokens to ensure security. With any other VPN, that wouldn't be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I am guessing the OP is complaining about VPN making ALL their internet slow. Many of us have to use a vpn to company office which has limited bandwidth, this does not however have to impact all the rest of our internet traffic.

OP: if using windows go to vpn settings, edit tcp/ip v4 settings and uncheck the box "enable default gateway". This will make you a lot happier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ellesse

Thanks all for the help. Yes work dictate the vpn so looks like limited amount I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have work VPN too and it does limit speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

ellesse wrote: »
    Thanks all for the help. Yes work dictate the vpn so looks like limited amount I can do.

Ellesse,

As srsly78 posted above, if you uncheck the option to use the default gateway on the remote network, then any traffic that's not destined for the internal company network will not go over the VPN connection, and you should see normal internet browsing speeds.

VPN Properties - Networking Tab - Select TCP/IPv4 - Properties Button - Advanced Button - IP settings tab .... deselect "Use Default Gateway on the remote network"

This is independent of the VPN server type that your company use, but how you make the change may be different than described above - those describe the location of the settings for the windows 7 PPTP VPN client. If your company uses an add in VPN client, then you'll have to root around for the same setting - but it will be there somewhere.

Advertisement