Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stock extension and comb riser or replacement stock? Rem. 597

Options
  • 05-08-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a remington 597 TB with laminated stock.
    Shoots real good for me. Very pleased.

I find the stock is not long enough to get it into my shoulder.

Also the comb is not really high enough to get a consistent or comfortable cheek weld.

So I figure my options are replace the stock or extend the stock/put a comb riser on it.

I can't seem to find a replacement (drop in) stock.....

for the other option what and where should I be looking? (And no I don't want a cz or other :-) )

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

dc99 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a remington 597 TB with laminated stock.
    Shoots real good for me. Very pleased.

I find the stock is not long enough to get it into my shoulder.

Also the comb is not really high enough to get a consistent or comfortable cheek weld.

So I figure my options are replace the stock or extend the stock/put a comb riser on it.

I can't seem to find a replacement (drop in) stock.....

for the other option what and where should I be looking? (And no I don't want a cz or other :-) )

Thanks

If you don't intend to ever sell it mod it away I would start by taking off the butt plate and put in spacers till you find the sweet spot in all positions. I used a rubber cow mat to give me an extra half inch worked well

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

As this is my starter rifle, I may want to sell it on later.

So if I di I would like to be able to put it back to original if possible.
    But if I take off the but plate this could allow me to do it as long as I don't mess the modification.

By the way - I believe it is the "pull" of the rifle Im talking about, correct?
    If I'm right about how is this measured? from where? the trigger? or somewhere on the stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

As this is my starter rifle, I may want to sell it on later.

So if I di I would like to be able to put it back to original if possible.
    But if I take off the but plate this could allow me to do it as long as I don't mess the modification.

If I'm right about how is this measured? from where? the trigger? or somewhere on the stock?

There should be two screws in the back of the buttplate you can take off you can also get slips that go over them to extend it as well if your not confident in taking off stuff as well eBay has loads of things you can try

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

LOP - Length of Pull.
    My Father showed me this when i was a kid.

Make sure the gun is empty (obviously). With the barrel pointed directly up, place the butt of the gun into the inside of the elbow joint. The butt pad should sit just on the "end" of the bicep, and in the joint of your elbow. The pad of you your index finger should be perfectly on the trigger. No more, no less.

If the finger can go all the way around the trigger (1st, 2nd finger joint) then the LOP is too short. If you struggle to get the finger onto the trigger then the LOP is too long for you.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Thanks Cass.

So I should be able to work out how much of an butt stock extension I need to be able to have the correct pull on the rifle? I reckon its to short, so if I do as instructed and use something to fill the gap between the butt and my inside elbow - this is what I need to extend by?
    Like is this just a guide for getting the starting point of the correct length?
    Or is it still a case of seeing whats comfortable when sighting through the rifle?

• Advertisement

Yup.

If you can put your finger across the trigger to the 1st, 2nd or even 3rd finger joint then point the finger straight up (off the trigger). Use this as a rough guide as to the actual amount you are short by.

The distance you are short by may actually surprise you. What seems like a huge amount may only be a 1/2" or so. At worse it's an inch.

If you'd rather do it an exact way scrap holding the gun and use a bit of string in the the same manner above. So place the string on the bicep/elbow crease, and extend it out to the pad of the index finger. Hold the spot on the string that the touches the pad and then measure the length. This is your length of pull . Now measure the distance from the centre of the trigger to the butt pad and see what the difference is. This is the amount you need to add/reduce by.

What rifle have you? What butt pad? Is it a standard one that came with the rifle? Also what depth is the butt pad?

I ask all this as you can change out the butt pad for an after market one that could be 1" thick and this could make up the difference you need. I done this with mine with a €20 butt pad that allows for up and down adjustment too. You simply remove the old one, and screw the new into the butt stock.

Here is the one i use. Cheap and cheerful:

2264.jpg
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Hi,
    Its a remington 597 with laminated stock (looks well). with a target barrel. (I dropped a Volquartsen hammer into it and got 'proper magazines' (circle 10) - I am drilling 1" groups at 50m...very pleased :-) and I'm only just starting with rifles.)
    There is a remington 'plate' on the end of the butt, which I reckon I can get off with a coupe of screws..

Now to be picky, are the type of extenders available in widths? I don't think the thickness of the stock is that much.....or are they kinda standard? or would it look 'stupid' if the new plate is wider than the stock?

All this info is looking good for me as I want to get these issues resolved etc.
    I need to do this as I find the 'comfort level' not great. Its ok when bench rest shooting, but I tried prone last week and could not get a good eye relief cause of the low comb and short butt......

Thanks

Hi,
    Its a remington 597 with laminated stock (looks well).
    Don't know how i missed that in the title.
    Now to be picky, are the type of extenders available in widths? I don't think the thickness of the stock is that much.....or are they kinda standard? or would it look 'stupid' if the new plate is wider than the stock?
    I'd assume if you bought Remington, rather than aftermarket ones, they'd be the same, but if they are a little wider it's nothing hat cannot be solved with a little sanding/grinding.
    Its ok when bench rest shooting, but I tried prone last week and could not get a good eye relief cause of the low comb and short butt......
    s
    Your body position to the rifle is different when sitting, standing and prone. It's the reason why i never mount a scope for my target rifles when sitting and why my hunting rifle scopes are different to my target rifles. I know i'm going to be prone with the target rifle so i need the scope a little further away (about 1/4") than my hunting rifles which i use mainly standing so they need to be a little closer.

Now i know eye relief can be adjusted on most scopes, but if i can set thee scope almost perfectly without having to use the eye relief then it leaves me more room if/when i need to.

The LOP of most standard Remmy 597s is 14". I assume you are over 5'9" as i'm rounghly 5'11" and need 14.25" LOP. Usually taller lads need longer LOP as obvious as that sounds.

I still reckon you need to measure the LOP first then find out if one spacer will do or if you need 2-4 spacers consider a much wider single butt pad like the one i mentioned above. Doesn't even have to be adjustable. A Pachyderm recoil pad that is wider might suffice.

As for your cheek weld. That is wholee other ball of wax, but not dissimilar to the butt pad issue. IOW the smallest amount of movement can cause a noticeable difference in good cheek weld. The cheek pad on the Father's AICS stock is about 3-5 mm thick yet he is much more comfortable with it off when sitting.

You can use the usual suspects such as a "stick on" pad or something like the Karsten that requires a little drilling of the stock but is much more adjustable and goes down flat. I used these on two of my rifles and they worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

My stock on my shotgun was too short and i got a new thicker butt pad put on it and it was perfect. I got it done by custom stocks ireland but you can buy a pad on ebay and you can put it on, trace the outline of the stock and sand it to shape easily.

Hi,

All great info and an enormous help.

I haven't seen a Remmie stock extention as yet, but will have a look at ebay and amazon.

With this info - am I right in thinking that I need to get the LOP right before tackling the cheek weld?

Is this what ye would 'fix' first?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Hi,

All great info and an enormous help.

I haven't seen a Remmie stock extention as yet, but will have a look at ebay and amazon.

With this info - am I right in thinking that I need to get the LOP right before tackling the cheek weld?

Is this what ye would 'fix' first?

Thanks

Cheek weld is easy.. Theres plenty of comb risers available on ebay. Beartooth is one, it has lots of different inserts to adjust the size to fit you.

Brilliant.

I have seen some stuff like this on line, but always thought that they looked 'cheap'.

Now I have a couple of makes to look at. great thing about them is they are reasonable. so I'm gonna have a bit of a scan on the tinter'net for price, but gonna purchase one (I never seen the beartooth before and it was also an issue on inserts - having a selection of inserts!).

This info is brillient..thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

dc , buy an adjustable butt pad the same kind as Cass is using, I use one myself , I took some of the rubber pad off mine with a hack saw and lowered the butt plate for a perfect LOP and cheek weld .

Advertisement