Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaking Spokes

• 06-08-2014 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

About two weeks ago I got my back wheel trued at my LBS. The following week a spoke broke on the wheel so I brought it back and had the spoke repaired and the wheel re-trued (last week). This morning another spoke broke. Is my LBS doing something wrong or am I just having a little bad luck

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

What kind of wheels are they? Are you hitting any potholes that are causing the wheels to give in?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

logik wrote: »
    What kind of wheels are they? Are you hitting any potholes that are causing the wheels to give in?

The wheels are Mavic CXP22 rims on Felt hubs. The one this morning happened on poor surface but no potholes involved. The one last week was on good surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

The general consensus is that they are hardy enough wheels. Cheap but do the job. It is possible that the LBS are over-tightening a particular spoke but I dont want to say this is the case for sure. What weight are you OP?

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/rims/mavic/cxp-22/prd_367295_2488crx.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

logik wrote: »
    The general consensus is that they are hardy enough wheels. Cheap but do the job. It is possible that the LBS are over-tightening a particular spoke but I dont want to say this is the case for sure. What weight are you OP?

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/rims/mavic/cxp-22/prd_367295_2488crx.aspx

About 80Kg

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

Hi all. This has started happening to me also. I have Giant SR-2 wheels that came with the bike. Recently it seems like everytime I go out, I break a spoke. Always on the drive side, and the bend end seems to be popping out of the rim. Are the wheels shot? I was thinking of investing in a Mavic Wheelset. Would that be cheaper than getting it relaced with double butted spokes? (What weight am I? The clue is in the name.)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have Giant SR-2 wheels that came with the bike....

...What weight am I? The clue is in the name.
    Are you a giant?

Seriously though, I'm 90kg+ (currently +++!) and changed the stock wheels on my most recent purchase to something more sturdy (Fulcrum Racing 3s) as soon as I had a problem with a spoke. The sort of speeds I was doing and the crappy roads are such I simply don't trust "basic" wheels

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've had a couple of years out of a set of Fulcrum 7s (low cost, entry level fulcrum) with no issues at all, including plenty of distance dragging my 86kg over some truly crappy roads. They seem pretty bomb proof. Running 25mm tyres at 105/95psi, which could also possibly be easier on the wheels than higher pressures and narrower tyres (e.g. 120psi on 23mm).

Beasty wrote: »
    Are you a giant?

No, just bigger than the average cyclist in the up, across and wide directions (no singgering at the back!)
    Beasty wrote: »
    Seriously though, I'm 90kg+ (currently +++!) and changed the stock wheels on my most recent purchase to something more sturdy (Fulcrum Racing 3s) as soon as I had a problem with a spoke. The sort of speeds I was doing and the crappy roads are such I simply don't trust "basic" wheels

I have had them since I got the bike in 2012, and I do about 160k a week on them, with a few more k's at the weekend. Maybe I have gotten a good run on them? Should I be looking at spoke count also? The current wheels have a 32 spoke count. Should/could I risk going lower with non "basic" wheels???

Tired to edit the last post to thank you for the replies, but it is not working for me. :)

Advertisement