Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Un-manned service station Merlin Park

Options
  • 06-08-2014 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

I was at a diesel pump yesterday that you use your card in. I think it was a Texaco station but it is an unmanned pump. I had a look at the map and it seems to be based on Dublin Road near Merlin Gate.

There is a shop there but the guy inside told me they are completely separate (very deceiving to look at). You would think that it was a normal service station.

Anyway, I ended up getting charged twice for diesel. On my bank statement this morning it says Tara Oil, Merlin PA. I was wondering does anyone here know who I could contact or ever heard of these? I have googled and can't see contact details for Tara Oil in Galway. There is one in Limerick but their distribution area does not come to Galway.

I will try going back to the shop today but wanted to check here too.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Ring your bank as well to let them know that you have been charged twice. It may be an error on their side, rather than with Tara Oil. They should be able to advise you on what to do either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Similar thing happened to me after using an unmanned station - two charges appeared on my account, one for the amount of petrol I actually got, plus a second equal to the maximum amount I had selected at the pump before starting (€80).
    I called my bank to query and they said second charge would most likely disappear after a couple of days, which it did, but the episode was annoying all the same.
    This sort of thing does nothing to build consumer confidence in using the pay-at-pump facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Has that station reopened again?

Googled it and this is what shows up:

http://connachttribune.ie/cab-seizes-houses-of-fuel-smuggler-who-had-galway-operations/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

dilallio wrote: »
    Has that station reopened again?

Googled it and this is what shows up:

http://connachttribune.ie/cab-seizes-houses-of-fuel-smuggler-who-had-galway-operations/

It reopened a few years ago for both petrol and diesel but in the last 9mths or so has gone to just diesel. I don't know anything more, just know it because my Daughter lives in the area and I got petrol there a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Ring your bank as well to let them know that you have been charged twice. It may be an error on their side, rather than with Tara Oil. They should be able to advise you on what to do either way.

This may not be an error, what often happens with automated pumps is there is an authorization transaction put through when you chose the limit, which debit card processors often take as a proper transaction, then another (usually lower) one for the actual amount dispensed. The authorization transaction should be refunded when the actual transaction is processed by the merchant/card company (which can take 3 days).

I haven't used this particular station, but it is often stated on the pump that this might happen.

O.P. keep checking your statement, if you aren't refunded 3 business days after the transaction call the bank/card issuer.

Edit - Any time I've used an automatic pump, I've used a credit card and have not seen the two transactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Not much to add other than I've used this station a lot since it re-opened, so far no double payments or dodgy fills. I haven't used a debit card there though, so as mentioned above, perhaps the pre-auth element is a bit different.

On a separate note, they need to put a lock on the unused nozzles...seems when some people fill up they accidentally put the nozzle back into a disused holster rather than the active one. Next person drives up and can't get the thing to work as the pump thinks its still in use...doh

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭motley

This happened to me before. I know it might be a bit awkward now but if you go and print a receipt from the machine, there is a telephone number you can call.
    I called them before and the lady cancelled the second payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

When you select the amount on the pump you are authorizing that amount on your debit card. If what you purchase is a different amount, then you are charged what you pay for. In the mean time the authorized amount will show up but will be returned a few days later.
    It's a debit card problem rather than a un-manned pump problem. If you use a credit card this problem won't occur and if you fill your car up with amount you select at the pump this problem wont occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Living in the US. Every single petrol station is unmanned in this state. Have yet to be double charged. Not sure why that would happen there. Maybe an old system trying to support the new system.

For what it's worth. I love the unmanned setup, it's class! No piss arsin' around the shop and waiting to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Of course you have to sort out with your bank ..but otherwise, I'd be more concerned about the nature of the diesel in those tanks - and what damage it can do to your engine. Luckily I have never used either of them. I always thought that the prices on the headford rd. one were peculiarly low....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Of course you have to sort out with your bank ..but otherwise, I'd be more concerned about the nature of the diesel in those tanks - and what damage it can do to your engine. Luckily I have never used either of them. I always thought that the prices on the headford rd. one were peculiarly low....

What's your reason for saying that? Do you know something we dont?

brembo26 wrote: »
    What's your reason for saying that? Do you know something we dont?

The article linked to above.

The article linked to above.

That was published 6 years ago...

brembo26 wrote: »
    That was published 6 years ago...
    Missed that. There is another date right at the top => Tuesday, 21 May 2013 19:30

Not sure what thats about...perhaps that's the date they published it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the replies. I rang bank that evening and they mentioned the whole authorisation thing. But the thing is ..

When I went to pump the diesel the pump could not reach the gauge so I had to hang up pump and turn around the car. I did not use a cent of diesel at this stage. Then when I went to use pump it thought I was a new customer. Kinda guessed this might happen but as I was on my own I had no one to hold pump while I moved car.

I went into shop assuming it was theirs and the guy behind the counter told me not to worry and to go and use my card again and that one would not be charged. So in effect I entered my card and pin twice but only got diesel once.

It is still showing pending on my statement but one of the transactions has gone through. So fingers crossed this the guy in the shop was right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Ohh this one even makes the place on the headford rd look expensive.
    It's way cheaper than anywhere else, up to 5c a litre at times.
    I've never filled up there myself.

verywell wrote: »
    When I went to pump the diesel the pump could not reach the gauge so I had to hang up pump and turn around the car.

Right, im out...

Advertisement