Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Malware/Adware on Windows 8.1

Options
  • 06-08-2014 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

I downloaded a video editing program called VSDC Video Editor.

I thought I had unchecked all the various boxes for browser add-ons.

However, I now find that I have something called Settings Manager on my PC as well as Search Protect.

Oddly, when I went to Uninstall them via Programs and Features, or via the CCleaner uninstall utility, they wouldn't uninstall.

Now when I look in the list of programs in both these places, they are no longer listed! What's more, Firefox is no longer listed either, though it in my Taskbar and it does open. The programs are listed in Program Files (x86)

Is there a program that will find all the cr*p on my PC and allow me to uninstall it?

How can I restore Firefox to the list of programs in Programs and Features?

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Update:

I ran this fantastic little App> https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

...and it found and "quarantined" 118(!) problems.

Those items installed yesterday were amongst them.

I ran it on my other computer and it only found 4 problems. So, the big desktop was in serious need of a cleaning!

Super App.

D.

Ps. But, I'd still like to know how to restore the Mozilla Firefox icon to Programs and Features. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

Malwarebytes Antimalware is a fantastic app. I usually run it once a month.

Regarding ur firefox icon,
    When u tried to uninstall apps using CCleaner Uninstall utility, did you check firefox by mistake and select delete entry. That justs deletes entry from Programs and Features and does not uninstall anything (useful for removing already uninstalled apps).
    If Firefox opens, I would not be bothered about it not appearing in Programs and Features.
    If you still wish to see the icon, uninstall the application using shortcut from start menu and reinstall firefox. Else just reinstall and chose fresh install not update. That should bring back the icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

I remember seeing something similar on a computer recently. What ever was installed changed the browser name and icon.

Took me a while to figure out and some time to clean up. Is this the case with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

madfcuker wrote: »
    I remember seeing something similar on a computer recently. What ever was installed changed the browser name and icon.

Took me a while to figure out and some time to clean up. Is this the case with you?

Not sure to be honest, so did a fresh install.

Thanks for the help. ;)

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rickybobby501

download this sweet app its called ADW cleaner it will find all the junk ware that slows ur comp

• Advertisement
Advertisement