Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twofiftysquare Rathmines

• 06-08-2014 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭

Anyone tried here yet? Where are they getting their green from?
    We will only roast your coffee at the time you place your order so that you can enjoy your coffee at the peak of it's flavor.

Sounds like a nice idea but how small a batch are they roasting, surely they can't be getting it bang on the money each time on such a small quantity?

http://twofiftysquare.ie/

https://twitter.com/250SquareCoffee

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I thought coffee is best after about 7 days from roasting?

I'd heard it's not great to drink it straight away. That could be marketing spin from roasters who can't get it to you any faster though.

Also, typical that as soon as I move out of Rathmines a good coffee place opens up./

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

It's 'its flavour, not 'it's flavour'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

A few of us on here have roasted at home at times over the years.
    (I still have two roasting machines in storage but don't have the time these days).
    I know some years back when we all started there was much discussion over roast profiles and degassing.

The general consensus was that you're best to wait a minimum of 3 days to allow the gases created and trapped during roasting to naturally disperse. I remember keeping freshly roasted beans in killer jars and you'd really notice the gas escaping from the jar if you opened it in the first few day. Some people found certain beans and roast profiles required longer (around a week) to reach their peak. I remember roasting a batch and trying it every day post roast. Straight after roasting there are too many gases trapped in the beans. Grinding and roasting will release them and create false crema and influence taste. I found around days 3-7 worked for me with various beans.

Nice find on the place in Rathmines. As its off the main street it is not one I'd have stumbled across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭James_R

So this sounds like it's a bit of a gimmick to get some attention and get punters in the door. Fair play though, I hope they do well. Need more speciality coffee not just in the city centre. I'll definitely pop in and try an espresso next time in that neck of the woods.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sounds to me more like a roasters than a retail place. "A whole new blend of wholesale coffee"

Not sure what their setup is like though.

• Advertisement

Yeah you're probably right Adrian, we need more roasters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Picked up a bag from Kaph today, roasted on August 17th.
    it was €9 for a 250g bag.

I'll report back after giving it a try.

PPC wrote: »
    Picked up a bag from Kaph today, roasted on August 17th.
    it was €9 for a 250g bag.

I'll report back after giving it a try.

Verdict? That's interesting they are in Kaph now. Are they also stocking 3fe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

James_R wrote: »
    Verdict? That's interesting they are in Kaph now. Are they also stocking 3fe?

I've only tried it as filter and it wasn't to my taste, I still need to try it as an espresso.
    I think there was a bag or two of 3fe still there, but it was mostly Twofiftysquare bags in there.

Popped into Kaph to have a look and they had loads of 3fe and only a few bags of Twofiftysquare. Spoke to the main barista guy and he told me they roast a little darker than 3fe but lighter than the likes of Bewleys – I should hope so!! Sounded to dark for me so picked up a bag of 3fE, Nicaragua finca Limoncillo - Natural Longberry. Tastes like strawberries :-D

• Advertisement

How are you brewing the Finca Limoncillo? I think I've lost my Aeropress technique/recipe. While starting off well, my 3FE bag of Sidamo ended up being very bitter by the time I finished the bag, and I think it was my recipe that changed somehow.

sarkozy wrote: »
    How are you brewing the Finca Limoncillo? I think I've lost my Aeropress technique/recipe. While starting off well, my 3FE bag of Sidamo ended up being very bitter by the time I finished the bag, and I think it was my recipe that changed somehow.

Brewing it V60 at the moment. 24grams, 390ml of water at 88c over 3mins. So essentially a 60g/1000ml ratio. You would be looking at about 14g/240ml and about 1:30min?

Hmm, on advice for different coffees (e.g. Coffee Angel), I grind at home to what they grind to - 17g/250g, and here's the thing ... first they told me 30sec pour, 30sec plunge, but I've gradually extended that out for some reason (maybe using different coffees needing different brew times). I've tried lighter (e.g. 14g/15g and found that too watery and over-extracted, without the floral notes. I just am not sure what I'm doing wrong.

So basically, right now, I'm doing 17g/250g, 2:00mins. And I have all this Barn and Bonanza and Five Elephant coffee to use up in the next couple of months ...

I go with 15g, 240-250ml of water, stir, 60 secs, plunge.

Works pretty well for most coffees.

You know what I get confused about with the Aeropress recipes ... how long the pour should be for. I've an Aeropress app which times the pour (I don't use it), but otherwise, I often don't know how much the pour is of the total time.

Update: I tried the 14g/240g for 1:30mins and things seem to taste better alright. It's just I've had a bad cold the last week or two and I can't taste/smell much.

sarkozy wrote: »
    You know what I get confused about with the Aeropress recipes ... how long the pour should be for. I've an Aeropress app which times the pour (I don't use it), but otherwise, I often don't know how much the pour is of the total time.

Update: I tried the 14g/240g for 1:30mins and things seem to taste better alright. It's just I've had a bad cold the last week or two and I can't taste/smell much.

Nothing worse than losing your sense of taste. You just end up wasting good coffee (although you do get the caffeine kicks so not all is lost). :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

adrian522 wrote: »
    I go with 15g, 240-250ml of water, stir, 60 secs, plunge.

Works pretty well for most coffees.

Is that leave sit for 60 seconds, or 60 seconds from start of pour, to end of plunge? Cheers

After I stir, I wait 60 seconds then plunge.

Strange. One of the coffees I picked up in Berlin, Five Elephant Sidamo, seems quite a bit lighter than coffees I usually brew (Coffee Angel, 3FE), so having been very happy with the 1:30mins brew time for those coffees, the Five Elephant seems to need 2:00mins. The other variable is grind size. I've now tended to go slightly bigger with Coffee Angel/3FE, but more flavour tends to be released with the smaller grounds with the Five Elephant.

So there ya go. Every coffee, and every coffee drinker's preferences, is different.

Advertisement