Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas hob connected to switch?

Options
  • 06-08-2014 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just bought a house recently and the gas hob can be ignited without having to press the (big red!) switch that also usually turns on the oven. Is there a requirement for this to be connected for safety?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you had a gas instead of electric oven, that big switch wouldn't be there so to my (unqualified) knowledge there is no 'requirement' that the ignition switch be connect to an isolator switch. For safety you might consider putting an inline fuse between the mains feed and the hob.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭Tow

I would be more worried if they were connected

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Hi,

Just bought a house recently and the gas hob can be ignited without having to press the (big red!) switch that also usually turns on the oven. Is there a requirement for this to be connected for safety?

Thanks
    The cooker switch is for the oven as the hob is gas the igniter doesn't have to go through the cooker switch.
    It's not a safety issue as it is it would be a bigger issue if it was through the cooker switch

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Robbie.G wrote: »
    It's not a safety issue as it is it would be a bigger issue if it was through the cooker switch
    Tow wrote: »

Why the concern? Surely as long as there is a fuse of some kind on the ignition, it doesn't matter where the feed is coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭Tow

No RCD protection and how many cowboy builders are going to add a fuse.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Tow wrote: »

Cheers. Every other gas hob i've ever used could not be ignited unless the switch was flicked.

It seems safer to have the hob connected to some sort of switch..?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

It seems safer to have the hob connected to some sort of switch..?

correct.. there should be a switch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

correct.. there should be a switch

It's very hard to tell how it's connected it could be plugged in or it could be through a spur.

Advertisement