Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Scheme ends 25th August 2014

Options
  • 06-08-2014 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭

Got a letter from Three.ie today telling me this scheme is ending. Also announced here

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/communications/communications+development/national+broadband+scheme.htm

They will continue to provide their (rubbish speeds) service at a slightly increased rate of €21.99, but with a massive reduction in allowance down from 40GB to 15GB. If I use anymore than this allowance I can pay their extortionate rate of 5.08c per MB or €50.08c per 1GB. If I want to use more than 15GB I can of course pay €34.99 for their PRO service with an allowance of 60GB, a 70% price increase.

Meanwhile as my area is listed in the below document....

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/4DE5D693-92D1-4FE1-915E-26D57C72305B/0/NBPdestinations.pdf

"It remains the case that there is no commercial case for investment in high speed networks and services in some parts of Ireland. The Government intends to intervene in these areas."

I have to wait for the outcome of a mapping exercise:

"It is expected that this mapping exercise will be concluded in Autumn 2014."

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Communications/Communications+Development/National+Broadband+Scheme/NBS+Expiry+-+Frequently+Asked+Questions.htm#11

to see if there will be any improvement planned for the future.

"EU State aid clearance will be required for the intervention once the strategy is finalised. This will be followed by a detailed procurement process with a view to commencing the roll out of high speed broadband services as quickly as possible."

Guess that's in 2020 then :rolleyes:

Check your usage or you will get an enormous bill.

I checked mine today and I have just gone over 15GB and I do not consider my usage heavy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

I haven't received any letter yet.

This might seem like a stupid question to a lot but my total MB usage for last month was 7,197.3232 mb, how many GB is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

What they don't tell you is that if you sign up now they have to honour it

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    I haven't received any letter yet.

This might seem like a stupid question to a lot but my total MB usage for last month was 7,197.3232 mb, how many GB is that?

7.197GB

7.197GB

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

This soooo frustrating. Like you Oldtree, I live in a more rural area. I do some work online with a UK company and I have to download reports and documents. Last night I was getting 650kbs, admittedly at 6pm. I have tried all the recommended fixes to increase speed, including regular 'chats' with Eircom to no avail. Although I can and often do sign up for Superfast', when it becomes available it will likely never arrive!

I had received reminders on a number of occasions that I had exceeded or reached my download limit and when I checked it last night Eircom had applied an unlimited useage allowance to my account. I am now waiting for the news that my billl has increased commensurately.

How about the Government apply a slow speed penalty on the ISP's? A bit like the non-drinkable water I often have. Anything under say 8Mbs, I pay half the cost?

That might concentrate their minds on supplying an adequate service.

TT

• Advertisement

TopTec wrote: »
    This soooo frustrating. Like you Oldtree, I live in a more rural area. I do some work online with a UK company and I have to download reports and documents. Last night I was getting 650kbs, admittedly at 6pm. I have tried all the recommended fixes to increase speed, including regular 'chats' with Eircom to no avail. Although I can and often do sign up for Superfast', when it becomes available it will likely never arrive!

I had received reminders on a number of occasions that I had exceeded or reached my download limit and when I checked it last night Eircom had applied an unlimited useage allowance to my account. I am now waiting for the news that my billl has increased commensurately.

How about the Government apply a slow speed penalty on the ISP's? A bit like the non-drinkable water I often have. Anything under say 8Mbs, I pay half the cost?

That might concentrate their minds on supplying an adequate service.

TT

Hold on, you have Eircom, nothing to do with this thread about Three and the National Broadband Scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Hold on, you have Eircom, nothing to do with this thread about Three and the National Broadband Scheme

The thread doesn't exclusively concern the Three and the National Broadband Scheme.

It also concerns the National Broadband Plan and the lack of urgency for a commitment to high speed facilities.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I improved my signal from dead slow to very slow by getting an 5m active usb cable so I could stick the 3 dongle (wrapped in a ziplock bag to protect it) out the window in the direction of the nearest pole. Although I was told I "had very good speeds" by the man on the phone on the other side of the world, he also told me that my speeds can be affected depending on how many people are using that pole at the same time. I then noticed I get much better speeds in the morning, as against the afternoon and aful in the evening. I could not rely on this service commercially.

We only have the copper phone wires and are too far from the exchange to have any other option than 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Oldtree wrote: »

Hopefully, the ESB/Vodafone scheme will have reached most really rural parts long before then:).

Oldtree wrote: »

Hopefully, the ESB/Vodafone scheme will have reached most really rural parts long before then:).

Not too sure about that:

"initially reaching 500,000 premises in 50 towns

The initial phase of the project is expected to be fully rolled-out by the end of 2018, with scope for a second phase under the joint venture.

Locations included in the first phase

Ballina, Mayo
    Castlebar, Mayo
    Westport, Mayo"

http://www.vodafone.com/content/index/media/vodafone-group-releases/2014/esb-vodafone-ireland.html

no where near me then :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

I'm not affected by this personally but my parents are, and in my opinion it is a poor show by three ireland. 40GB was already a low enough usage allowance but to lower it further and increase the price is a joke altogether. Was just reading an article in todays indo that states :

"The service level agreement including minimum service standards, orders and installation standards, fault restoration times, engineer visits and service rebates no longer apply," said the customer letter from 3 Ireland.

"Minimum speeds will no longer be guaranteed under your new plan. But rest assured that we'll always work to resolve any issue you have as quickly as possible… you shouldn't experience any change to your service."

So, if all those standards, agreements and minimum speeds no longer apply i dread to think what sort of service rural customers can expect. They make a big deal about rolling out 4G, much the same as they did with 3G, yet i can honestly say that when i have travelled around the country i very rarely pick up 3G unless i visit Dublin, when i visit my parents house i struggle to get a signal of any kind, let alone 3G.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/rural-broadband-customers-are-facing-180-price-hikes-30491963.html

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Can anyone recommend any good satellite broadband companies? Looks like I will be canceling my contract with Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

1. I wonder is it a coincidence that this is being announced in August.

2. I see many of the islands are affected. I thought a special deal had been negotiated for them due to remoteness and access difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

nuac wrote: »
    2. I see many of the islands are affected. I thought a special deal had been negotiated for them due to remoteness and access difficulties.

Clare Island and Inisbofin both seam to have full 4G coverage from Meteor according to the Meteor coverage map. No idea if this is related to what you are on about or just a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭tony2phones

I notice no one from 3 has had the neck to come on and comment..

Our general usage might average at the 15Gig that 3 claim suits most customers but when we reach up to 20gb like last month (for some unknown reason) then we could technically face a bill for over €200.. 3's answer is for us to sign up and pay for the 60 gig allowance monthly or keep an eye on our use and get a pay as you go sim card for when we need more than our normal 11 or 12 gig.. They refuse to "Cap" the amount of data supplied and I had to request our maximum credit be set to their €35 minimum.. that means the maximum bill we can get is for €51.99..

I did try a Tesco Mifi who give 15gig for €15/month but would have to stand outside to get a decent signal.. speaking to Tesco customer service they admitted that whilst I can see the transmitter from the gate the signal from that transmitter might not be brilliant... stark contrast to the years of 3's customer service giving bull and blaming us for their slow intermittent coverage..

We are "Blackmailed" into accepting 3 as our provider if we want to keep the booster (repeater) which is needed in our location.

I found the booster useless. The best speed result I got was to get the dongle just outside hanging from the window (in a ziplock bag) at the end of a 5m "active" usb cable. I take the dongle inside at the end of every session. I also found out where the nearest pole was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Is there anybody else on this who should have but still hasn't received a letter? We've just moved house so the chance to cancel penalty free is ideal.

Is there anybody else on this who should have but still hasn't received a letter? We've just moved house so the chance to cancel penalty free is ideal.

I've still gotten nothing. No clue what's happening.

you can ring them or "talk to" them on boards

I upgraded my modem today with 3. This signs me up for another year at the current package 40gb for €20.32. My contract was out since March so I was entitled to an upgrade.

• Advertisement

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    I upgraded my modem today with 3. This signs me up for another year at the current package 40gb for €20.32. My contract was out since March so I was entitled to an upgrade.

Yes have to do that myself.. and buy a new modem €40 that's worse than the one I already have to do that and keep the repeater box!!

Modem soon to be listed on ebay as I have 3 in the draw already!

Yes have to do that myself.. and buy a new modem €40 that's worse than the one I already have to do that and keep the repeater box!!

Modem soon to be listed on ebay as I have 3 in the draw already!
    The modem I got costs 30 but she took 10 quid off for being a good customer, so cost to me is €20.

The clock is ticking so I'd get onto it straight away. Expect to get cut off a few times and a long wait to get to speak to someone.

Quote sent to me

Thanks for your interest in Three. At Three, we like to keep our customers (and potential ones!) well informed. We are happy to share the information requested with you.
    Your quote:

Huawei E5220 Black - €0.00 €59.00
    NBS Broadband 12 months €20.32 €0.00
    Total €20.32 €59.00
    One Off Costs
    Administration Charges €0.00
    Product Charges €59.00
    Total To Pay €59.00

====================

Huawei E3131 Black - €0.00 €39.00
    Total €20.32 €39.00
    One Off Costs
    Product Charges €39.00
    Total To Pay €39.00

Of course reading the 1st sentence as a long standing customer you know how honest they are!!??

6 years stuck with 3 and no hint of a loyalty discount!!

Quote sent to me

Thanks for your interest in Three. At Three, we like to keep our customers (and potential ones!) well informed. We are happy to share the information requested with you.
    Your quote:

Huawei E5220 Black - €0.00 €59.00
    Total €20.32 €59.00
    One Off Costs
    Product Charges €59.00
    Total To Pay €59.00

====================

Huawei E3131 Black - €0.00 €39.00
    Total €20.32 €39.00
    One Off Costs
    Product Charges €39.00
    Total To Pay €39.00

Of course reading the 1st sentence as a long standing customer you know how honest they are!!??

6 years stuck with 3 and no hint of a loyalty discount!!
    You should get on better if you phone and speak to someone.

"You should get on better if you phone and speak to someone."

Been doing that for the past week up to line manager level.. will just get it done then email the CEO for their take on the situation.. might get a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

Has anyone good alternatives other than 3?

My Contract ended the 24th July 2014, so does that mean if I go and get a new Wifi Modem I could get the 20.32 for 40gb for a year out of them??

My average usage was approx 12- 14 GB so under the new package it is pretty crap to pay more for less allowance especially when I am close to the 15gb proposed by them. 3'speed was never amazing but did the job for me.

I got this bit of a comparison on Call Costs,
    Might be of use to someone.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You might get more useful answers in the Kerry forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

oscarBravo wrote: »
    You might get more useful answers in the Kerry forum. :)
    Off topic but...........

We'll know the answers Sunday if Mayo whip us off the pitch!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Booyah! Mind you, it's a long walk to Dublin for all of us... (feckin unions)

• Advertisement

If you upgrade a contract that has run its course then Yes you can still get a National Broadband 12 month contract until the 25th

Advertisement