Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in San Francisco

• 06-08-2014 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

Doing 2 weeks in September in San Francisco, wanted to do a bit of cycling

Anyone any route suggestions?

Will prob give the SF Cycling Club a shout but just wondering if any Boardies have any nice routes for a solo spin? :)

Am thinking of doing Golden Gate Park to Hawk Hill (north of the GGB) - is cycling across the Golden Gate Bridge fairly safe? Would like to take in Berkeley and Oakland and loop back around to Golden Gate Park after... are these areas in any way scenic?

Also - from what I've seen San Fran is pretty hilly - I'll be bringing a bike with a compact double 11-25 - guy in my LBS suggested a new cassette, would I need it? Fitness level would be pretty good, but how would the climbs over there compare to the likes of Sally Gap etc

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm going in October. Will hope to rent a bike for a day or two and do one really long day.

I think the Rapha team do weekly mid week rides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Doing 2 weeks in September in San Francisco, wanted to do a bit of cycling

Anyone any route suggestions?

Will prob give the SF Cycling Club a shout but just wondering if any Boardies have any nice routes for a solo spin? :)

Am thinking of doing Golden Gate Park to Hawk Hill (north of the GGB) - is cycling across the Golden Gate Bridge fairly safe? Would like to take in Berkeley and Oakland and loop back around to Golden Gate Park after... are these areas in any way scenic?

Also - from what I've seen San Fran is pretty hilly - I'll be bringing a bike with a compact double 11-25 - guy in my LBS suggested a new cassette, would I need it? Fitness level would be pretty good, but how would the climbs over there compare to the likes of Sally Gap etc

Can't suggest any routes really as I just commuted across the city when I was there.

The golden gate bridge is very safe to cycle across, you cycle on an off road cycle path. Only problem is it will be full of tourists walking, and tourists on rented bikes cycling across the bridge to Sarasota, so don't expect to go fast. Some nice hills just north of the bridge though.

Map available here is very handy: https://www.sfbike.org/resources/maps-routes/ Very large file so might be easier to download than view in browser.

It has the streets graded by steepness, so handy to find routes between hills, like 'The Wiggle', a bike route that alternates left and right turns at almost every corner. You could also use it to find steep hills if that's your aim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cycling across the bridge is safe, but a bit mental. There's one path shared between pedestrians, joggers and cyclists. Most of the peds are tourists, so they're doddering along pretty slowly, not paying a blind bit of attention to what's going on around them.

The cyclists vary from people who've just rented a bike for the first time in ten years, right up to fully-geared-up people trying to get across the bridge as quickly as possible. There is an etiquette which I'm sure a Google will bring up, but ultimately cycling on the bridge involves plenty of being shouted at to get out of the way, ringing bells, being an asshole, etc.

You can't cycle in the traffic lanes. They're narrow and the traffic moves quickly. And I'm pretty sure it's illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I found cycling the bridge fine in february a year or so ago. September wouldn't be as quiet probably but not high toursist season either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I cycled it in September on a rented bike and it was pretty busy.

Depending on time of day, a different pedestrian/bike lane is open. The view is nicer if you're on the city side as you cross from SF. Provided it's not foggy, which it will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

seamus wrote: »
    Cycling across the bridge is safe, but a bit mental. There's one path shared between pedestrians, joggers and cyclists. Most of the peds are tourists, so they're doddering along pretty slowly, not paying a blind bit of attention to what's going on around them.

The cyclists vary from people who've just rented a bike for the first time in ten years, right up to fully-geared-up people trying to get across the bridge as quickly as possible. There is an etiquette which I'm sure a Google will bring up, but ultimately cycling on the bridge involves plenty of being shouted at to get out of the way, ringing bells, being an asshole, etc.

You can't cycle in the traffic lanes. They're narrow and the traffic moves quickly. And I'm pretty sure it's illegal.

They tried (and failed AFAIK) to bring in a 10mph limit for bikes a few years ago and they do monitor speeds.
    bikespeed_005.JPG

When I crossed the maintenance mini-vans cleared a path for me - everytime I got behind one I was waved forward so had a clear run for almost all of the bridge - flat out with a tail wind - it was a hoot!

Comng back from Marin into the wind, not so nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭YeahOK

Golden Gate across to Marin Headlands is a must. Turn left when you get across the bridge to Marin and head up Conzelman Road for spectacular views back across the bridge and the city scape. (Big hill; gets up to 20% in places, but perfectly manageable) Conzelman Road leads to Bunker Road (careful of the tunnel). Take a left at the end of Bunker Road onto Alexander Ave and down into Sausalito for ice cream or coffee before heading back into the city.

You can cycle or take the Ferry back to the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Thanks guys, seems to be cycle friendly enough city so!

Thanks for the map, loads of detail for me to get stuck into

Looking at doing this route so will have to do a bit of research on the other bridges and what they're like to cycle across, seems to be a new cycle path on the Oakland Bay bridge at least!

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/495830548

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭YeahOK

Also check out this link

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm gona do it in my name

Millar Time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

godtabh wrote: »

Millar Time

Haha, my inner narcissist wants me to give that a lash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

godtabh wrote: »

Millar Time

When in San francisco…

Runner uses Nike+ app to draw penises

(pretty SFW but the clue is is the name) .

Advertisement