Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second learners permit expiry

Options
  • 06-08-2014 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I currently have my second provisional licence and it is due to expire in April.

I will be out of the country to study for the next year and am not currently ready to take the driving test and the application for a third permit would need proof of taking the driving test.

Does anyone know if there is a way to suspend my current licence until I am back or is there any other way of avoiding having to retake the theory test?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You have five years from the date of expiry of that learner permit to renew it without having to sit a theory test. Also, you can provide evidence of a forthcoming driving test appointment if you like, and you will be issued a one-year permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Chexmoir23

Thanks for your reply. So if my second licence expires in 2015 id have to apply for a third one by 2020 without having to do the theory?

And then when I apply for a third one I'd need to provide evidence of an appointment for a driving test but would I actually need to do the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yes, if your current one expires in 2015, you have until 2020 to get it renewed, without having to start at the beginning of the process again.

If you are applying for a third learner permit, you have to apply for the driving test to get a another learner permit. You don't have to sit the test, you just have to apply to do it. When you apply for your test, you are given a confirmation number. You quote that number when you are applying for your new learner permit. If you decide not to do the test, you can cancel it altogether, or defer it until you feel that you are ready to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Chexmoir23

Alright that should do thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Chexmoir23 wrote: »
    Alright that should do thanks for the help!

You're welcome. I'll just add, in case it isn't clear, that if you provide evidence of having taken (and presumably failed!) a driving test in the two years preceding the application, you will get a two-year permit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement