Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

potty training 3 year old!

Options
  • 06-08-2014 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi all! I'm sure this has been asked before but any quick tips.

My daughter is 3 and still not trained I'm embarrassed when people ask if she's still in nappies . I have to admit it's me holding us back more than her! She enjoys the process of going wiping flushing washing hands and all that and goes in loads of times a day usually messing but most times doesn't actually go just pretends she has. I know shes not afraid of the toilet or anything like that she has gone wee a fair few times and even poo twice but just won't get the hang of full time. She starts playschool on Sept 1st and they won't take her even in pull ups I just don't know how to get her to understand she needs to do it all the time like it's not just a game. She's not really into sweets and bribing her doesn't work at all she's not interested

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Put the potty in a very convenient place. I put it next to her toys.

I'd say go cold turkey on the nappies and pull ups during the day. She may forget a couple of times, but she should figure it out quickly enough when she gets wet! Just stay home for that day or two.

If it doesn't work after two days, break out the reward chart. Sticker for using the toilet, some sort of prize for doing it right all day. Like bubbles or a new colouring book.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

When I toilet trained my daughter, I started by spending a full weekend at home with her and just dressed her in knickers and a t-shirt. I told her she had to keep her knickers dry, and carried her off to the toilet each time she started peeing herself. I didn't chastize her for wetting herself, but told her she had to keep her knickers dry. I didn't have to bribe her, but did buy her a new toy at the end of the 1st week for having done so well. Having Hello Kitty knickers helped too as she didn't want to have to take them off :)

The first 2 days I'd say I had to change her at least 10 times each day, but by day 3 she had gotten the idea. We still had a few accidents but it improved.

Good luck with it. She will get it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Go cold turkey with the nappies. get her "big Girl Pants" she'll have a few accidents but they learn fast.

clap, applause and praise here each time she goes to the toilet, tell her how happy you are with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SarahC11

Yeah she's in big girl pants all day (4th pair so far!!) she hasn't gone to toilet once. She's telling me she has wet the floor or a couple of times right before she went but I wasn't quick enough!! I think she's being stubborn today because I'm pushing it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

No Puddles is what we used to say every morning, and a few times a day. And then a big fuss made when she got it right.

Are you using a potty?

They get so engrossed in what they are doing that that age, they forget about everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Found the advice from this thread I started brilliant ;
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057202589/1/#post90209875

It's been two weeks since we took my daughters nappies off and she's no longer having pee accidents - maybe once every couple days just, she only getting hang of poos now but managed today.
    Also we are leaving night training for a short while as we tried it at same time and were too exhausted as have a younger child also to look after and she was waking her.
    Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Also - in our house a pee gets u a star sticker on ur chart... And 5 stickers gets u a marshmallow.... At the moment a poo gets u a toy like bubbles etc from the pound shop - just until she gets it!
    It's great she finds it fun and a game - it's all about keeping it positive and remembering there will be accidents - plain and simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

At the start you have to keep asking her if she needs to go to the toilet rather than waiting for her to realise it. After a few days she'll start to recognise the feeling of needing to go to the toilet herself.

We used to dance around like eejits and sing silly songs every time my son used the potty. He loved all the positive attention. If he had an accident we just cleaned it/him up and said nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

We're on day 2 of our fourth attempt. Every one told me this lad would be so easy to train because his communication skills are so good, but he's too clever for his own good. He keeps pulling the flusher handle...or making wiiiissshhh sounds trying to fool me into thinking they're his wees so he'll get a star!

Anyhow every other attempt up until now has been a disaster. ..two seconds after getting off the toilet he would pee everywhere.

But he's had 2 accidents and that's only because I didn't twig the signs.so I hope we're coming through it!!!. We're on 30 min toilet breaks at the moment and im completely expecting a poop accident any moment, but thems are the beautiful breaks lol

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Great idea 're the stickers and chart. Starting it tomorrow with a boy. He's adivil, you put him sitting on the toilet for about 5 minutes, nothing happens. Put on the nappy, and it's dirty in seconds. That's just been the build up the past 2 weeks. Dinosaur pants go on tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

When we trained our little girl I used to set an alarm on my phone I think it was every 20/25 minutes the first day and brought her to the toilet regardless, let her try and then once she tried she got a sticker. About 10 stickers got a reward-mainly little books. Then slowly day by day we increased the time in between bringing her, until after about a week she would realise it herself. She had two accidents the first day and none really after that. We just battoned down and didn't leave the house the first 2/3 days.

Didn't use pull ups, just straight into pants.

We never used a potty or special toilet attachment. She was happy enough to use the toilet once we held her so she wouldn't fall. That was great because if we were out or visiting there was no issue with not having the potty/seat with us.

Hardest 2 days so far. Waited till he was in bed last night to do a poo. And we list sight of him fir a minute today, he was up on the couch starting a poo. He couldnt get the pants down, phew. But made it for 8 pee's already. The sticker chart is a success. Might try stretch it out tomorrow, his head must be wrecked with us asking him every 20 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

We only had one wee accident yesterday but two poop ones. Im not counting the poop ones as accidents because I know from the first they can take longer to click. What a post first thing in the morning! Lol.

He's not quite at the stage of telling me that he needs to go...he's still relying on my toilet requests, but we've far more progress than any previous attempts so I think we're on the road people! !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Oh I remember now that my son did poos in his sleep for a long time after being day trained. I used to hate changing that nappy.

Not working. Going to try again in another month.

Advertisement