Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IM Austria

Options
  • 06-08-2014 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi

Doing this next yr & am just wondering from people who have done it before, logistically where is the best place to fly into? Was thinking Vienna or Hamburg & drive down? Any ideas welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I flew to Munich this year. Bout 3hr drive, 4 hour train.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jonnymercier

Sorry I meant Munich

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭delboyfagan

Fly to Frankfurt and cheap flight with Air Austria to Klagenfurt

The problem isn't the flying but good hotels near location which are nearly always booked in advance or taken up by NIrvana.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Alright Johnny,

We can talk more about this, but last year we flew to Vienna, hired a car and drove down ( 2 or 3 hours) to Klagenfurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Did IM Austria this year. Flew into Vienna and drove down, approx 3 hours.

Know plenty who travelled to Munich also, so both good options.

Would highly recommend hiring a car rather than taking a flight to Klagenfurt.

Accommodation can be hard to get in the city so worth staying out a few km so you would need a car.

We stayed in Hotel Sonnenhof, which was 10km but ideal for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Sorry for bumping up an old thread.

So IM Austria 2016 went on sale yesterday.
    My plan was to book accommodation before entering with one of booking.com's free cancellation options.
    But I never got around to it & I went in yesterday afternoon & already all the hotels were full in Klagenfurt. I couldn't understand this as the race had only just gone on sale & it hasn't sold out yet.
    I've read here before that there's a shortage because Nirvana have a lot of the rooms reserved. Do they really have that many rooms.

So I'm just wondering is there any possibility that some might come free as the year goes on?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Stayed here for race this year. 20 min drive from and good clean hotel. Good 3 star is how I would rate it. Did early breakfast on race day.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1164723-d1777730-Reviews-Kunsthotel_Fuchspalast-St_Veit_an_der_Glan_Carinthia_Austrian_Alps.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I had an accommodation disaster when I arrived. I ended up in Park Apartments Lach in Krumpendorf, which was about 5 minutes by train from Klagenfurt West where the race is hosted. About a 5 min walk to the train station from the apartments and about 10 to Ironman Expo from Klagenfurt West train station. Taxi only cost 15 euro on race morning.
    Air B'n'B is a good option too, there was still stuff up on there on race week (thats where I got my replacement accommodation)

They may be already booked out though!
    Krumpendorf is a great option, loads of hotels and apartments. Run goes through it as well so if you have anyone travelling with you it's easy for them to catch you. 5 min drive if you've got a car into race area.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

Group of us stayed in the Hotel Porcia Palais. Its right on the Neuerplatz opposite the Lindwurm statue/fountain which is the turnaround point at the Klagenfurt end of the run. Its a tad dated in terms of decor but beds were grand and it has airconditioning. Not something to be scoffed at. Some hotels didnt have it in 2012 when it was rasping hot. I stayed in the Sandwirth that year and despite it being one of the official race hotels some rooms didnt have aircon. Its hard enough to sleep the night before an Ironman without having to sleep in a stupidly warm room.
    The staff in the Porcia Palais were extremely accommodating and in terms of location it was pretty good. A 4 minute walk in one direction to the number 10 bus which brings you the 4.3k down to the Strandbad (expo area) and in the centre of town so you had plenty of restaurants nearby. Also the official bike shop, Mountainbiker.at is only 3 or 4 minutes walk in the other direction and should you require nutrition/rehydration during that 4 minutes theres an ice cream parlour only 3 doors from the hotel! Their coffee flavour ice cream is the business!!
    As regards flights, we flew this year into vienna and drove down (3 hours 10 minutes) but in 2011 and 2012 i travelled with Ryanair via Stansted to Klagenfurt. While it was 2 flights that werent connecting flights i think theres a lot to be said for just having to get a taxi 20 minutes out the road to the airport on the way home rather than driving 3 hours up the motorway to Vienna. If you planned to stay in Vienna for a few nights then that would be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Thanks for the tips.

Unfortunately everything in Krumpendorf is fully booked also.
    The closest hotel I could find to Klagenfurt was in pörtschach am wörthersee.
    It says 11.km to Klagenfurt on bookings.com but on Google Maps says 15.5 km. I've provisionally booked a room there but will keep looking.

Sankt Veit an der Glan has rooms also & that takes about the same time to drive to to Klagenfurt.

I'm planing on flying to Munich & staying with a friend for one night & then renting a car & drive to Klagenfurt. So it wouldn't be too much of a big deal if I was staying 15km away.

There is one hotel left in Klagenfurt, Hotel Atrigon but its only available for Friday until Monday & there is no refund for cancelling.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Since I was watching this years event - my coach made a great (well, he isn't all that satisfied :) short comments: http://goranmarkus.com/en/8-8-8-en/) 8th place - I really liked the course and I was thinking about signing for next year (if it won't be too close to Ironman Pula which should happen in 2016). What are the thoughts of you who were there - how was organization, did you like the course, other than problems with hotels/accommodation did you have any other? This seems like a good race for PB, although after last years Ironman France everything does :P

Keep an eye on Air B'n'B too as you go along, stuff will pop up all the time. There was place in Krumpendorf and in Klagenfurt when I was checking for somewhere closer than I had booked with about two months to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

gilleek2 wrote: »
    Group of us stayed in the Hotel Porcia Palais. Its right on the Neuerplatz opposite the Lindwurm statue/fountain which is the turnaround point at the Klagenfurt end of the run. Its a tad dated in terms of decor but beds were grand and it has airconditioning. Not something to be scoffed at. Some hotels didnt have it in 2012 when it was rasping hot. I stayed in the Sandwirth that year and despite it being one of the official race hotels some rooms didnt have aircon. Its hard enough to sleep the night before an Ironman without having to sleep in a stupidly warm room.
    The staff in the Porcia Palais were extremely accommodating and in terms of location it was pretty good. A 4 minute walk in one direction to the number 10 bus which brings you the 4.3k down to the Strandbad (expo area) and in the centre of town so you had plenty of restaurants nearby. Also the official bike shop, Mountainbiker.at is only 3 or 4 minutes walk in the other direction and should you require nutrition/rehydration during that 4 minutes theres an ice cream parlour only 3 doors from the hotel! Their coffee flavour ice cream is the business!!
    As regards flights, we flew this year into vienna and drove down (3 hours 10 minutes) but in 2011 and 2012 i travelled with Ryanair via Stansted to Klagenfurt. While it was 2 flights that werent connecting flights i think theres a lot to be said for just having to get a taxi 20 minutes out the road to the airport on the way home rather than driving 3 hours up the motorway to Vienna. If you planned to stay in Vienna for a few nights then that would be a different story.

Cracking performance. Congrats. Awesome run :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »

Gotta respect a sub 3 run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Anyone care to share their Garmin files for the bike and run. Thinking of giving this a crack next year. If not comfortable sharing online feel free to pm me. I cant retire from triathlon until i have had a go in Austria

Cheers. Was delighted with it. Knew from my last few long runs that if i got off the bike without cramping issues i could do something good on the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

tunney wrote: »
    Gotta respect a sub 3 run
    Cheers. Was delighted with it. Knew from my last few long runs that if i got off the bike without cramping issues i could do something good on the run.

Don't mind him, it's from trying to keep up with me for the last couple of months.

Great result. Congrats. You must have got or been very close to a Kona slot with that time ?

zico10 wrote: »
    Don't mind him, it's from trying to keep up with me for the last couple of months.

Maybe some of the work ethic rubbed off.

Great result. Congrats. You must have got or been very close to a Kona slot with that time ?

Yeah, got a rolldown so credit card aint lookin so good!!

• Advertisement

Fair play the field is deep in Austria so well deserved!

Could 3D possibly have 2 sub 3hr runs in a week in Ironmans with AK doing frankfurt this week....its possible!

Could 3D possibly have 2 sub 3hr runs in a week in Ironmans with AK doing frankfurt this week....its possible!

Well he's got a better standalone marathon than me so the only thing that will stand in his way is the predicted heat this weekend in Frankfurt.

Anyone care to share their Garmin files for the bike and run. Thinking of giving this a crack next year. If not comfortable sharing online feel free to pm me. I cant retire from triathlon until i have had a go in Austria

Sent you an email there, got an out of office back :)

Advertisement