Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler has blackheads :(

Options
  • 06-08-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

My daughter has 2 big blackheads on her nose. I obviously am not going to squeeze them, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could use on her skin to help clear them? Her skin is perfect other than these 2 persistent blackheads.
    I bath her every night, and wash her face every morning.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Xdancer wrote: »
    My daughter has 2 big blackheads on her nose. I obviously am not going to squeeze them, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could use on her skin to help clear them? Her skin is perfect other than these 2 persistent blackheads.

Any ideas?

I'm not being provocative when I ask this but why wouldn't you squeeze them? You can do it gently after her bath using a piece of tissue so your nails aren't sticking into her skin directly. Rub a little Savlon or Tea Tree onto the area afterwards and it should solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I'm not being provocative when I ask this but why wouldn't you squeeze them? You can do it gently after her bath using a piece of tissue so your nails aren't sticking into her skin directly. Rub a little Savlon or Tea Tree onto the area afterwards and it should solve the problem.

She has very delicate skin and I would be afraid that I'd damage it really.
    Plus you always read that you shouldn't squeeze blackheads....not that that stops me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

She has very delicate skin and I would be afraid that I'd damage it really.
    Plus you always read that you shouldn't squeeze blackheads....not that that stops me

I know the idea of squeezing a little child's skin seems all wrong especially if the child has more delicate skin than the average small one. :)
    I was thinking that the blackheads are obviously a blocked pore and other than getting rid of whats in the pore I don't know how else you'd get rid of them. :confused:

After a bath the pores on your daughter's face will be more open and so the blackhead would be easier to squeeze out. If they are big then it shouldn't take much pressure to help them pop.
    If you use the tissue as I described it will also protect her skin from direct intense pressure. Then the Savlon or similar after will disinfect the unblocked open pore and so hopefully stop the blackhead recurring.

My niece has quite oily skin and has had blackheads from a young enough age too. It was a surprise to her mother as we had always had very good skin when teenagers and young adults. Her Dad though had had problems with acne and spots when he was a teenager and it would seem that my niece inherited this from him in the gene pool.
    My sister always had to make sure she kept a close eye on the face washing and the like so my niece didn't experience any significant breakouts. Now she is 12 / 13 and so conscious of this herself she is forever in the bathroom!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MamaBee92

Any ideas?

Try tea tree oil or rub some pineapple on it. Also keep an eye on her diet. It is unusual for a toddler to have blackheads. It is caused by excess oil. This could possibly be from having too much oil in her diet or another possibility is that by over cleaning her skin it has gone in to over drive and is producing excessive amounts of oil.

Children do not need to bathe as much as we do. I learnt this the hard way too with my daughter so trust me I am not lecturing, just passing on what I have learnt. And I'm a nurse, I should know better lol. Although they do sweat, children's sweat is different to adults. They definitely don't need to bathe every night. They really just need face cleaned, teeth cleaned, bum cleaned and just with a cloth with warm water, not soap. Their skin has different pH levels to ours and over washing can disrupt the balance.

Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd say pop it as well. I left 3 little millia on my eldest daughter for.. Gosh... I think two years, before I finally got fed up of them. I sterilised a needle, broke the skin slightly with the needle after a bath and they popped right out. No scar, no blood, nothing.

My second daughter had one tiny one a few days after she was born and I did the same as soon as I saw it.

I don't know how a blackhead is going to go away on its own. Get a needle or very clean hands and get rid.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input. She has 2, one bigger than the other. After her bath tonight, I'll see if I can get rid of them.
    MamaBee92 wrote: »
    Children do not need to bathe as much as we do. I learnt this the hard way too with my daughter so trust me I am not lecturing, just passing on what I have learnt. And I'm a nurse, I should know better lol. Although they do sweat, children's sweat is different to adults. They definitely don't need to bathe every night. They really just need face cleaned, teeth cleaned, bum cleaned and just with a cloth with warm water, not soap. Their skin has different pH levels to ours and over washing can disrupt the balance.

I don't usually bath her every night, just during the summer. It's very hot here, and she plays outside a lot and gets very dirty and sweats a lot! The bath also helps cool her down a bit before bed. Thanks for the info though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I have 2 teenagers and I've found the gentlest way to pop the blackheads is with 2 cotton buds instead of your fingers.. popping themstops them scarring, the longer they're there the bigger the pore stays.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

My little guy had a septic pimple on his nose at 3 months.. a week before his Christening.. the PHN told me to completely ignore it.. do not pop it or mess with it in any way.. so that's what I did..

It went away by itself but even at that, he was left with a little mark on his nose for a while after it.. and if I look really closely now I can still see a very tiny mark..

I'd say speak to your GP or PHN before you go squeezing anything tbh.. their skin can scar so easily..

That's my personal advice anyway.

xzanti wrote: »
    My little guy had a septic pimple on his nose at 3 months.. a week before his Christening.. the PHN told me to completely ignore it.. do not pop it or mess with it in any way.. so that's what I did..

It went away by itself but even at that, he was left with a little mark on his nose for a while after it.. and if I look really closely now I can still see a very tiny mark..

I'd say speak to your GP or PHN before you go squeezing anything tbh.. their skin can scar so easily..

That's my personal advice anyway.

That's what I'm afraid of, scarring her.
    She was in fierce humour last night so I didn't dare go near them.

I might actually take her to the paediatrician and see what she says. Thanks to the system here it won't cost me anything but time.

Thanks for all the input

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Op I've no experience with black heads on children but don't pop them at all. You may cause permanent scaring and hyper pigmentation or broken capillaries. All of which can only be removed by expensive laser treatments. You could try oil cleansing to get rid of the blackheads this would be the gentlest and safest way with out damaging her skin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement