Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pending completion of customs inspection

Options
  • 06-08-2014 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Does anybody know how long this will take.
    My product has been here since last week and they asked me to supply proof of purchase which I sent on the day.

Today it says it's pending customs inspection :(.. like I personally feel its a ridiculous situation and a total waste of people's time and money.

I could understand if it was a highly dubious looking shipment, but this is a single pair of women's shoes... Value 200 euro.. Not an expensive brand name or knock off. Simply women's shoes

aaanyway sorry for little rant but I would appreciate if somebody in the know could answer my question and also advise if there will be any additional charges.. And how they will be payable

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭Tow

Probably, the fact customs are looking at it would mean it came from outside the EU and €200 is well over the threshold. You would be looking at least another €50+.

What type of shoes?
    There this the package originate from?
    By which service was it sent?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭paddypowder

they are from china but from a very reputable company.

they are heels made from leather and suede ( I think)

sent via dhl.

I understand vat of 23% applies but is it possible I could avoid paying that because they are size 5.5 uk which is just on the threshold of childrens sizes ??

50 euro is such a massive expense but I have a feeling I am gonna have to take it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/footwear.html
    3. Meaning of children's personal footwear

VAT law provides that the zero rate applies to articles of children's personal footwear of sizes which do not exceed the average foot size appropriate to children under 11 years of age, which are described, labelled, marked or marketed on the basis of age or size.

It is therefore important to note that the legal basis for the relief of VAT of certain children's footwear requires that the footwear in question is both:-

designed specifically for the use of children and
    of a size no larger than the average size applicable to children under 11 years of age.
    In the practical administration of the tax, the supply of baby and infant footwear, and footwear which has been specifically designed for children in sizes up to and including size 5½ (38 continental or other equivalent) qualifies for the zero rate.

Children's footwear, the sizes of which exceed 5½ (38 continental or other equivalent) and adult's footwear, irrespective of size is taxable at the standard rate.

4. Certain styles common to children and adults

It is accepted that there may be a difficulty in respect of a small number of styles of shoes and boots which are not designed as either adults' or children's footwear, and which are manufactured in the full range of sizes from the smallest children's size* to large adult sizes. Revenue are prepared, concessionally, to accept that the zero rate may apply to sizes up to and including size 5½ for these specific styles.

Footwear ranges not starting at the smallest children's size*, e.g. ranges starting at large size 1 or 2, are taxable at the standard rate in all sizes unless it can be shown that they were designed for the use of children, in which case the size 5½ cut-off will apply.

As they are heels I expect they will be 23%

rubadub wrote: »
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/footwear.html

As they are heels I expect they will be 23%

Well spotted my good sir, and I certainly won't be attempting to avoid any government taxes as stated in forum rules

just an update on this, paid no additional charges, tax was already paid on the items(so said the stamp on the box)?

apart from delay on arrival of item
    I cannot complain

• Advertisement
Advertisement