Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Shampoo that is not bad for the environment

• 06-08-2014 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, Harley loves to swim, but hates his baths. I was wondering if there is anything on the market that you can safely and ethically use when out at the river?

I've seen a few eco products and natural products, products that claim to not harm the environment etc but nothing I've noticed says it can be used outside.

I wouldn't just use one without being sure it won't do damage, so I'm hoping someone here could help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

My friend uses Dr Bronners Soap on his Labrador. He has sensitive skin and although it is not a dog shampoo it is meant to be great and gentle enough for dogs. He actually suggested it to me when I was trying to find a soothing shampoo for my wheaten. He takes the lab wild camping with him and prefers to get the washing done in lakes / rivers before heading home as he often is filthy!. You can get it in health shops here in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

kaza2710 wrote: »
    as he often is filthy!.

Edit: the dog that is!!!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh you weren't spying on me the other day were you?:p To my shame (because it was Johnsons and not the natural one below) I rubbed a tiny bit of shampoo into Bailey when he was swimming in the flooded park. He was covered in sticky backs and got very annoyed/upset about it trying to pluck them off pulling his hair with them - I'd washed him the week before with the one below and they just fell off!

I got this one last month to try - when you leave it in for the 5-10 mins no bubbles come off because it's soap free - http://tropiclean.com/products/grooming/tropiclean/details/oatmeal It also smells lovely and the ingredients are all natural according to the site :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Haha tk I can't believe you didn't spot me :p

Thanks! And they're ok to be used in the river or lake? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Isn't Tropiclean supposed to be eco-friendly?

Alternatively - PM me. I just remembered a friend of my husband's family is selling eco-friendly dog products. I bought some ear wash for my boy from her and did see some of the products on her stand, but can't comment on the quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The less you shampoo your dog(s), the easier they self-clean.

Our dogs haven't been shampood in years and they're perfectly clean and not a bit smelly (no smellier than any dog normally is).

Really bad dirt gets wiped off or even rinsed off, the rest disappears after a brushing once they're dry. And ours have really long and profuse coats.

Also, the less you shampoo them, the less they are inclined to roll in something disgusting.

peasant wrote: »
    Also, the less you shampoo them, the less they are inclined to roll in something disgusting.

I used to think that until Lucy came along!! >_<

I only wash them if they've been in water that's a bit stagnant - more for their skin than their coats because the fur looks after itself. They're in the water mosts days = free grooming! :pac:

So if it's eco-friendly does that mean it's ok to use in a river/lake? Tropiclean is eco friendly and I have a bottle of their spray here, and really like it, but I just want to be sure.

Peasent, thanks for the info, however I would prefer to continue with my regime of bathing them when they need it.

tk123 wrote: »
    I only wash them if they've been in water that's a bit stagnant - more for their skin than their coats because the fur looks after itself. They're in the water mosts days = free grooming! :pac:

This is my main problem, they've been swimming loads and Harley has been molting as a result. A good brush twice a day isn't helping, but a bath and a nice bubbly massage seemed to get most of it off. Plus, they come home from the river covered in smelly wet sand and occasionally smelling stale, like a fishy river smell, depending on the state of the water at the time.

I can't stomach smells at the moment. Even the lovely homely dog paw smell. bleugh.

I use one of these double row rakes for Bailey and find it brilliant. My friend got one for her retriever too - http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-grooming-dog-grooming-rakes-c-1124_1131/jw-gripsoft-double-row-undercoat-grooming-rake-for-dogs-p-4185

• Advertisement

I'm trying to find a suitable brush for harleys coat. It's shorter than an average lab coat and I think the wire brushes are too harsh for him. The rubber brush I have is fantastic for shining him up and he loves it, big happy wiggle when I get it out. It's not great for pulling loose hair out though.

Do you think that one would be suitable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

tk123 wrote: »
    Oh you weren't spying on me the other day were you?:p To my shame (because it was Johnsons and not the natural one below) I rubbed a tiny bit of shampoo into Bailey when he was swimming in the flooded park. He was covered in sticky backs and got very annoyed/upset about it trying to pluck them off pulling his hair with them - I'd washed him the week before with the one below and they just fell off!

I got this one last month to try - when you leave it in for the 5-10 mins no bubbles come off because it's soap free - http://tropiclean.com/products/grooming/tropiclean/details/oatmeal It also smells lovely and the ingredients are all natural according to the site :)

Hi Tk, had a look at the link, could you tell me where you bought it? would love to try it for my little man, as he swims every day but can get a bit fishy smell at times :)
    seems US sites on the page.
    Thank you

sdp wrote: »
    Hi Tk, had a look at the link, could you tell me where you bought it? would love to try it for my little man, as he swims every day but can get a bit fishy smell at times :)
    seems US sites on the page.
    Thank you

I got it in my vets but I've seen in it PetStop. It was around €10.

@Whispered - I've used that double rake on a lab (who stood beside me asking to be brushed) and it worked but it doesn't lift that much on Lucy because her coat hasn't come in yet. The Mikki rakes on vetuk are spring loaded so might be better for him if you're worried about them digging in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Great, thanks a mill Tk, I'll have a look see

Advertisement