Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypotethical Scenario - Subcontractor on the dole

Options
  • 06-08-2014 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

This is a hypothetical scenario and not something that has happened to me but something I have given a lot of thought to recently.

What would happen if you were engaged with a subcontractor on a project, you received invoices form them, no vat included and paid them accordingly.

What would happen if that contractor was found out to be on the dole while invoicing and essentially, working for you?

would you have any liability towards them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Buttercake wrote: »
    would you have any liability towards them?

But he's not working for you. He is working on behalf of his own company, as a sole trader or otherwise, and they would be held liable. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

If it's in the building industry, a contractor is supposed to deduct tax unless the subbie shows him the necessary tax clearance. I think it's a C2. So it should never be an issue.

In other businesses, as long as he's providing invoices, his status has nothing to do with you.

Advertisement