Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creatine Supplementation??

Options
  • 06-08-2014 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wanted to see what was the best way to take creatine? I have read that best to take before and after workouts but wondering what to mix with before workout? After my workout I plan to take it with my PWO protein shake, but not sure what is best to take it with before.

A friend recommended to take it with cranberry juice as it is consumed quicker. Is this the normal way or should it be taking with something else?

If you have any experience taking creatine hopefully you can help me out.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hubba_bubba

Hi Deco,

I always tend to take it after my workout and mix it in the shaker with my whey. It mixes just fine and you can barely notice any difference to just taking the flavoured whey on its own.

I have taken it before once or twice. I just mixed it in with a glass of Mi Wadi dilutable and water. I did have to stir it for a good while though as it does not dissolve as easily as say sugar in tea. Still worked a charm and then I just drink it down the hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It doesn't matter when you take it.
    The effect of creatine is cumulative, it works by building up in your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Hi Deco,

I always tend to take it after my workout and mix it in the shaker with my whey. It mixes just fine and you can barely notice any difference to just taking the flavoured whey on its own.

I have taken it before once or twice. I just mixed it in with a glass of Mi Wadi dilutable and water. I did have to stir it for a good while though as it does not dissolve as easily as say sugar in tea. Still worked a charm and then I just drink it down the hatch.

Thanks for the info. I will be doing the same after my workout but been reading that more beneficial to take before and after so going to give that a try.

How much water/dilute would you mix with the creatine or is it just personal preference? How much creatine do you take per training day/per shake/per non-training day etc?? On the tub it says take 5g before and after workout.

I've been researching for awhile now and some people say to load at the start with 20g per day for 5-7 days then take 10g per day during maintenance phase for 6-8 weeks. What you have any recommendations? Speaking with a friend he said no need to Load and just take the 5g before and after and that should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hubba_bubba

deco72 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I will be doing the same after my workout but been reading that more beneficial to take before and after so going to give that a try.

How much water/dilute would you mix with the creatine or is it just personal preference? How much creatine do you take per training day/per shake/per non-training day etc?? On the tub it says take 5g before and after workout.

I've been researching for awhile now and some people say to load at the start with 20g per day for 5-7 days then take 10g per day during maintenance phase for 6-8 weeks. What you have any recommendations? Speaking with a friend he said no need to Load and just take the 5g before and after and that should be enough.

Its personal preference i guess. i just made it up as if i was having a normal drink of dilute and then added in a heaped teaspoon of creatine monohydrate.

I usually go for a big heaped teaspoon. I'd say it is around 10-12 grams at a guess. To be honest im not too particular about it i just lob in a good heaped teaspoon with every shake after the gym 3/4 times a week. I usually dont take it on rest days but that's not to say maybe I should be taking it then too?

Just how I do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

5 grams a day, every day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Zero benefit to taking it pre workout, blood levels of creatine rise shortly after ingestion but this has no effect, only muscle creatine levels will improve performance. No need to load either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

5g per day every day.
    No need to load.

CP is already in the meat, eggs and fish you eat already.

Drink more water when supplementing with creatine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

.33grams per kg of lean mass, whenever you feel like taking it - 5g is such an arbitrary amount. No need to cycle, no need to load.

So 100kg guy @ 20%bf should consume 26.4g creatine per day?

.33grams per kg of lean mass, whenever you feel like taking it - 5g is such an arbitrary amount. No need to cycle, no need to load.

It is arbitrary, I think I read that 3.2g every second day will do once saturation has been reached, but it's so cheap and easy just to take a teaspoon a day and also it has some very interesting health benefits which means there's no harm in it. Lots of stuff with the brain, especially cognition when tired.

• Advertisement

So 100kg guy @ 20%bf should consume 26.4g creatine per day?

Well, there is a more precise formula based on maintenance+leanmass* something but it works out roughly to be bodyweightinkg/3 if i remember right.
    It is arbitrary, I think I read that 3.2g every second day will do once saturation has been reached, but it's so cheap and easy just to take a teaspoon a day and also it has some very interesting health benefits which means there's no harm in it. Lots of stuff with the brain, especially cognition when tired.

The old numbers were 20-25 grams loading to saturate and then maintenance of 2-5 grams, this was based on a 70kg untrained male i believe. You'd burn off about 2 grams a day just by existing though. After like a month on the maintenance dose creatine levels return to what they were previously. I would always be suspicious of recommendations like 5g per day that are not tied to bodyweight/leanmass/exericise.

The old numbers were 20-25 grams loading to saturate and then maintenance of 2-5 grams, this was based on a 70kg untrained male i believe. You'd burn off about 2 grams a day just by existing though. After like a month on the maintenance dose creatine levels return to what they were previously. I would always be suspicious of recommendations like 5g per day that are not tied to bodyweight/leanmass/exericise.

I think the formula is (bodyweight x 5)/ bodyweight = dose in grams

:confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

not-sure-if-fry-685x325.jpg

So 5 grams? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

It's all so clear now

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

I train in the morning and sometimes find that I'm not totally switched on during my workout. Apparently pre-workout creatine helps with performance, especially if you're sleep deprived. They tested it on rugby skills but I'd imagine it would benefit in certain lifts as well, where you need to focus.

Study

I started taking it a few days ago and yesterday I took 10g an hour before my workout and set some PR's, which I was delighted with because I'm cutting at the moment. I felt like I had a bit of extra intensity. Don't think it was placebo either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

All it's ever done for me is give me wind...never noticed any other real difference in taking it or not taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

I'm convinced that it accelerates the balding process also. I still take it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

ffs this is a car crash

just go flippin read this already -

the best darn supp review you should have read before forking out money on sh1t that doesnt do jack

it really should be considered in the same area as fish oils when you consider the amount of research that has come out in the past 5-10years on its benefits outside of the sports performance field

however, most people look for the solution in supplements like creatine when they are not -

1. sleeping 7-8hrs per night regularly
    2. drink some darn water
    3. follow a properly structured program
    4. getting stronger and more mobilie
    5. they want to get bigger/stronger yet eat bugger all and food quality overall is a disaster

creatine aint going to fix any of the above

• Advertisement

Transform wrote: »
    ffs this is a car crash

the best darn supp review you should have read before forking out money on sh1t that doesnt do jack

it really should be considered in the same area as fish oils when you consider the amount of research that has come out in the past 5-10years on its benefits outside of the sports performance field

however, most people look for the solution in supplements like creatine when they are not -

2. drink some darn water
    5. they want to get bigger/stronger yet eat bugger all and food quality overall is a disaster

Agreed.

There's no sense "loading" and "stacking" with creatine if all you're going to do is a few bicep curls with light weights in front of the mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

ffs this is a car crash

2. drink some darn water

but the guy on the tv said I'd get huge

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    but the guy on the tv said I'd get huge

he said swole

It'll all turn to fat when you stop taking it.

For it to work you must take the entire tub to the gym and make a big flippin song and dance about it, spill half the tub all over the place and talk about a random muscle and fitness program you are following

the tub of creatine, bcaa, whey protein and dextrose.
    Say the word "GAINZ" really loud and if you don't drink the shake within 47.24 seconds you lose all your gainz

For it to work you must take the entire tub to the gym and make a big flippin song and dance about it, spill half the tub all over the place and talk about a random muscle and fitness program you are following

Can you still get Big Whey?

That was a great container for swaggering around the gym with.

chopper6 wrote: »
    Can you still get Big Whey?

That was a great container for swaggering around the gym with.
    Just bring in the whole feckin 10lb bag of whey!

Advertisement