Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever put a cat flap in Wall?

• 06-08-2014 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

Anyone here ever put a cat flap in a wall?
    I have PVC doors and windows, doors have struts or something in them so I can't put flap in them (so I've been told)
    It was suggested I put it in a wall by a friend, but not sure how that would work, anyone done it?
    Or any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Yep we have ours in the wall, my dad cut out a big circular chunk of the wall, one half of the flap fitted inside and the other outside so they have a smell bit of a tunnel to go through, just slightly less than the length of the cats. If it's rainy they often just sit inside the flap tunnel to stay dry without bothering coming inside! I'll see if I can put up pictures when I'm home. Only thing is there is a bit of a draught when it's cold out at night but we put a blanket up over it cos they never go out at night anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My brother did, but he made an absolute balls of it, then again he has a very half-assed approach to DIY :D But it was a breeze block wall and it worked. We have ours built in to a side panel of the back door, it's a bit of a short space between it and the cooker but it's not a problem for our 4.

My parents have a catflap in the glass side panel at the front door. It was expensive, they had to buy a flap, get the glazier to measure up the existing pane and build the catflap into the new pane before it was installed. I've seen a lot of catflaps in back doors though. Although, tbh, it'd be a nightmare in the door if you get a lot of wind on it, unless it was a microchip flap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

This is a microchip flap, and both front and back doors are PVC, I was told by a builder doing work here on something else that after looking at the doors they had struts in.
    I've double glazed French doors but it's very expensive getting it put in those, so looking at putting it in a wall.
    Double block cavity walls, with insulation, in back porch, everywhere else is 2.5ft thick stone walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Sounds like you'd need the extension thinggy that you can buy for the flaps. Are you good at DIY? If not you're probably best seeing which is cheaper getting someone to install it in the wall or what it would cost to have it put in the glass door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Normal DIY yes, knocking a hole in the wall not so much.

Right, better think some more and see if there's any other solutions!

• Advertisement
Advertisement