Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Rugby Championship MMXIV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

matthew8 wrote: »
    SH teams have been on a different level to NH teams recently so SA should still be favourites against Ireland. This week's selection is uninspiring though. Matfield is past it, and there are very few top class nations for whom Pollard would start. The SA pack will struggle to even get on top, let alone dominate, which seems to be necessary against NZ these days.

I think SA still puts too much emphasis on size. Like I would select Juan de Jongh in midfield, and maybe give Siya Kolisi a run. That would also help keep the administrators happy. And it's funny how Pienaar is much loved of Ulster fans but fairly universally disliked on SA rugby forums, much like Kirchner was. I just think SA haven't been able to bash teams up in recent times (and their scrum was destroyed in Argentina), and they're not quite sure what to do next.

Matfield is one of the greatest locks of the professional game, probably the best defensive lineout forward I've ever seen, but he's too old now.

I might be wrong, but I could easily see the ABs winning by 15 to 20 points, especially if the weather is good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

In fairness to England they did put it up to the Kiwi's in June in the first two tests, or they could have snook a win in both anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Swiwi. wrote: »

TBH Ardillaun my enthusiasm for this site, and in particular games involving NZ has completely waned. The appeal of this site has always been that more outlandish comments are moderated (and I've been pulled up on this myself), so that there is some sort of balance. In reality this is applied in the main to the neverending Munster v Leinster spats, and less so in other areas. .ak even thought your post was so spot on, he gave it an acknowledgment.

I probably should have copped on earlier, and it's a self-evident truth, and not necessarily a criticism, but this site is an Irish rugby site for followers of all things Irish rugby. Through a combination of limited interest in rugby south of the equator, and limited ability to comment through the simple fact of not having watched much of the players concerned, there is minimal discussion of the rugby championship. Some people will probably just think good riddance, F.O. Kiwis, you're not wanted here, but this forum could be more than it currently is IMO.

Christ

Without derailing this thread, if something like this was posted by a new reg on a match thread it would be instantly slaughtered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

[RANT]...[/END OF RANT]

TBH I think you're being far too sensitive there Swiwi. All the OP said was the commentators were fairly partisan, which I agree with. But people say that about BBC, BBC NI, and RTE commentators all the time, so I really don't see how you translate that into a 'F.O Kiwis' rant. You're seeing something you want to see there.

The very fact there's a busy thread on SH rugby on an Irish forum with posters waking up at dawn to watch these matches certainly suggests otherwise.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Christ

Without derailing this thread, if something like this was posted by a new reg on a match thread it would be instantly slaughtered

Just a MOD view on this - any poster is allowed to air their opinions so long as it's on topic and the poster takes the time to articulate their views in a proper way.

.ak wrote: »
    Just a MOD view on this - any poster is allowed to air their opinions so long as it's on topic and the poster takes the time to articulate their views in a proper way.

Absolutely

However the main gist of that post was that we are not enlightened enough on here to properly discuss SH rugby, which is a load of rubbish. He is entitled to say it if course, just surprised the post wasn't challenged.

Absolutely

However the main gist of that post was that we are not enlightened enough on here to properly discuss SH rugby, which is a load of rubbish. He is entitled to say it if course, just surprised the post wasn't challenged.

Well, please post on the rugby championship P.Walnuts. However, I notice these are your first posts in this thread, even though the RC is about half way done.

However, as you yourself said previously, you don't waste your time watching the ABs
    Now I know why its a waste of time watching the AB's

nor do you like discussing them
    I just realised we talk about the AB's waaay too much on this forum

so I'm kind of surprised you were browsing the RC thread in the first place. Anyway, if you have some comments on the other teams, maybe whether Quade would get back in if he was fit, will Genia make a return etc, is Pollard the right choice for SA, have Argentina impressed you I'd be interested.

As mentioned by others already, the first round is the only round of the RC that I caught live due to the time difference. I almost always sleep through my alarm since its after a Friday night! The exact same thing happened during the 2011 RWC, even for Ireland matches.

In other news, who the feck is Pollard:

15 Willie le Roux - 18 Tests, 35 points
    14 Cornal Hendricks - 6 Tests, 20 points
    13 Jan Serfontein - 13 Tests, 5 points
    12 Jean de Villiers (captain) - 99 Tests, 125 points
    11 Bryan Habana - 100 Tests, 280 points
    10 Handre Pollard - 3 Tests, 29 points
    9 Ruan Pienaar - 79 Tests, 135 points
    8 Duane Vermeulen - 22 Tests, 10 points
    7 Marcell Coetzee - 19 Tests, 20 points
    6 Francois Louw - 33 Tests, 25 points
    5 Victor Matfield (vice-captain) - 114 Tests, 35 points
    4 Eben Etzebeth - 26 Tests, 0 points
    3 Jannie du Plessis - 57 Tests, 5 points
    2 Adriaan Strauss - 37 Tests, 25 points
    1 Tendai Mtawarira - 58 Tests, 10 points

Replacements:

16 Bismarck du Plessis - 63 Tests, 45 points
    17 Trevor Nyakane - 6 Tests, 5 points
    18 Marcel van der Merwe - 2 Tests, 0 points
    19 Lood de Jager - 6 Tests, 10 points
    20 Warren Whiteley - 1 Test, 0 points
    21 Francois Hougaard - 29 Tests, 20 points
    22 Pat Lambie - 33 Tests, 68 points
    23 Damian de Allende - 2 Tests, 0 points

Well, please post on the rugby championship P.Walnuts. However, I notice these are your first posts in this thread, even though the RC is about half way done.

However, as you yourself said previously, you don't waste your time watching the ABs.

Well for a start, you could of included my full post which was
    This is ridiculous

Ruins a good game. Now I know why its a waste of time watching the AB's

Posted directly after a terrible call ruined one of the best games of the year, ok I was a bit dramatic but plenty of people were disappointed byt having such a great game effectively ruined.

nor do you like discussing them .

Again another very disingenious post, If you looked really closely you could see that it was posted on the Ireland Team Talk thread, so ye the previous few pages were all about NZ and PI's and all that malarky....a topic not really suited to the Irish team thread you might agree? Also it was posted fairly light heartedly...so much so that you liked the post and didn't repsond in any negative way....until now, bit odd no?

You on one hand castigate the forum for it's partisan views on all things Leinster/Munster, yet drag up year old posts (which are also posted out of context) to paint a pictue of bias agaisnt NZ. You are so sensitive about everything NZ that an innocuous post about NZ commentators no less resulted in a lenghly tirade against the board as a whole. I am fairly happy with my posting style despite you dragging up old posts, I think you should have a close look at your own.

• Advertisement

Okay guys, enough. Take it to PMs if you want to discuss each other's posting habits.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

In other news, who the feck is Pollard:

their u20 junior world cup out half and captain...
    also shares the 10 shirt with jack louis potgeither in the blue bulls squad...

if he keeps his tragectory, he'll be the main man for the boks for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

As mentioned by others already, the first round is the only round of the RC that I caught live due to the time difference. I almost always sleep through my alarm since its after a Friday night! The exact same thing happened during the 2011 RWC, even for Ireland matches.

In other news, who the feck is Pollard

Under 20 player of the year. Captain and outhalf for the 20s this year and played in the previous 2 world cups as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

100th cap for JDV, kudos. 80th for Pienaar, not bad either.

100th cap for JDV, kudos. 80th for Pienaar, not bad either.

Yeah it's a great effort from JDV. What I had forgotten but was pointed out by Hansen no less is that he suffered 2 serious injuries early in his international career but came back from those. One of the true gentlemen of international rugby, never a bad word about anyone or anything when he is interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Some random thoughts on the AB vSA game.
    Happy to see Luatua get a start. As long as he keeps working hard and improving, he is a definite for the RWC squad next year as he covers lock and blindside.

Not too happy seeing Thrush in the starting line-up. Never been a fan. No specific reason though. Maybe its his surname. I knew a guy at school who's nickname was Thrush because he was an irritating cnut.

Shame that Whitelock is out. Him and Retallick vs. Matfield (even if he is past his prime) and Etzebeth would have been worth the price of admission on its own.

Probably a smart move putting Jane on the bench due to his skills in the air and the SA's likely tactics. He covers FB and wing but I'd be worried if we got an injury to the midfield early.

If Barrett had nailed his kicks last week he might have held the 10 jersey.

Can't believe that Bismark isn't starting. He's been the best hooker in world rugby the past few years.

Well done JvD on hitting the century but I hope we ruin the party the way the Aussies ruined Habana's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Etzebeth the only Bok not to score yet. I'l pick him to score the first try so.
    Going to miss yet another big match this weekend. Probably my own fault for signing the kids up for rugby training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Going to miss yet another big match this weekend. Probably my own fault for signing the kids up for rugby training.

Know that feeling. Training course Sat & Sun.

Will try to avoid results and watch later. Leinster game too.

Dang you minis, why can't you teach yourselves!

Vermulen is having a stellar season. He's absolutely great value to watch as spectator.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Wonderful try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Lovely try, first real chance that SA had to attack as well.

• Advertisement

Absolutely cracking Leinster-esque set piece there.

What was that from SA there!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

SA score a try at 15 mins under the posts. It was there first bit of territory and a lovely worked play off the lineout. This makes the game much more interesting!

Developing into an exciting contest. If only WLR had held that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Great game so far. Hope the pace keeps up.

It still always surprised me how far away from the pitch the fans are in some of these stadiums.

Forward surely?

And were NZ not preventing the tackle there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Both sides attacking really well.

I really like Retallick. He's one of those guys who is just everywhere all the time. His workrate is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Officials missing a lot, high tackle by Cruden, knock on by mccaw (following a SA knock) and not rolling away by Retallick all within the space of two minutes.

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    Officials missing a lot, high tackle by Cruden, knock on by mccaw (following a SA knock) and not rolling away by Retallick all within the space of two minutes.

SA line-out not straight there either.

Missing stuff in open play in a game like this is to be expected though in fairness.

Peinaar in serious pain there. Doesn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Looks a bad one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

molloyjh wrote: »
    SA line-out not straight there either.

Missing stuff in open play in a game like this is to be expected though in fairness.

True, but those three (four with the lineout) were back to back.

Have to say I'm not a huge fan of Luatua never really impressed me in any of the games I've seen him.

My thoughts on the game so far
    • It's nice to have a world class ref in charge who not only knows the laws of the game, but also has a feel for rugby.
    • If South Africa bring in quotas, there will inevitably be token selections, but Cornal Hednricks is not one of those. He has a good strike-rate, and that was a a pearler of a try. .ak said Leinster-esque, I'd go one level lower and say AB-esque ;)
    • This is the first game I've seen where Pollard looks the business at 10.
    • I agree with razorblunt, that Luatua has been missing in action. Not in the same class yet as Kaino and Messam.
    • Is it just me or is Nonu running sideways a lot these days? The kind of thing you see at U5 level.
    • Le Roux not having his greatest day at the office.
    • Is Matfield the greatest lineout forward of all time? He is for me. NZ defensive lineout looks blunt without Whitelock.
    • I'd be tempted to bring on Cane, and move McCaw to 6. Beauden Barret has to get a run too.
    • Oh, and I've listened hard, and I genuinely think the commentators are being impartial, but maybe I'm biased :pac:

That's phenomenal by NZ.

Kieran fcuking Read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Unbelievable by Reid.

Great try. Read, brilliant as always

• Advertisement

Narrow escape for SA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Gotta love the crowd reaction to the drop goal but 3 points is 3 points when your going no where

Vermualen has been outstanding tonight.

Great silence from the crowd for that kick!!

Why kick there?

BDuP throwing poorly.

matthew8 wrote: »
    BDuP throwing poorly.

Disaster in the sa line out since he has came on.

• Advertisement

Great SA scrum.

Stupidity by Hougaard, he has been rubbish since he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Stupidity by Hougaard, he has been rubbish since he came on.

Stupid to go wide there, with the scrum going forward.

SA fluffed it in the end, no need to go wide.

Great game

SA reminiscent of Ireland at their frustrating best, get into great areas of the pitch and then contrive to make wrong decision after wrong decision. Ben Smith must be the must elusive runner in world rugby, don't think he got the ball without making someone miss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement