Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you pass repeats by compensation?

Options
  • 06-08-2014 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭

Have a bastard of an exam to repeat, studying away for it but trying to get to 40% could be a tough ask :pac:. If you get 35% for a repeat can you still pass?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭RB100

I passed an exam last year with a 37P. It says on the page where you get your results you can get a 35P-39P. I dunno how it works but apparently you can pass without getting 40

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

siblers wrote: »
    Have a bastard of an exam to repeat, studying away for it but trying to get to 40% could be a tough ask :pac:. If you get 35% for a repeat can you still pass?

I'm 90% certain pass by compensation does not apply to repeats.
    Will not matter though 40% not a bother to you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭siblers

RB100 wrote: »
    I passed an exam last year with a 37P. It says on the page where you get your results you can get a 35P-39P. I dunno how it works but apparently you can pass without getting 40

It's a pass by compensation, if you get over 45% in one subject and between 35 and 39% in another, they just balance it out.

JFlah wrote: »
    I'm 90% certain pass by compensation does not apply to repeats.
    Will not matter though 40% not a bother to you :D

Haha, hopefully anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lawsonova

I have one "WH" witheld exam, of which apart from "contact your lecturer/ head of department i cant get any more cohesive answers on the subject, also my result is "7%" below a pass I have filled in the review/ recheck form and filled out "significant variance" ie 20 % difference between my grades for example 66% highest exam, 52.81 avg, lowest passed exam 43%, the failed/witheld 33%, i also filled in the section with compassionate circumstances with a genuine docs note as my family situation was not great over the last year, 23 nurse visits recorded over a 2 year span and things like "he shouldnt have sat exams but did anyway wrote by doc" how are my chances of going through honestly and when do these results surface? or should i give up and look for a job? PLEASE HELP!

• Advertisement

Get onto the exams department i'd say. If you got 33% I don't think there's anyway for them to allow you to pass though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Lawsonova wrote: »
    I have one "WH" witheld exam, of which apart from "contact your lecturer/ head of department i cant get any more cohesive answers on the subject, also my result is "7%" below a pass I have filled in the review/ recheck form and filled out "significant variance" ie 20 % difference between my grades for example 66% highest exam, 52.81 avg, lowest passed exam 43%, the failed/witheld 33%, i also filled in the section with compassionate circumstances with a genuine docs note as my family situation was not great over the last year, 23 nurse visits recorded over a 2 year span and things like "he shouldnt have sat exams but did anyway wrote by doc" how are my chances of going through honestly and when do these results surface? or should i give up and look for a job? PLEASE HELP!

The trick is to not quit. Wait until you get until they tell you that s it, keep at it and trying, that's my two cents anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lawsonova

@siblers, I have been onto the department there not giving much away tbh and 33% i didnt think it was going to pass me I have gone through every avenue i can think of im not giving up @shanered but thanks for the press on!, thanks both of you for the swift replies :)

Advertisement