Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

green diesel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Just speaking to a delivery driver, he was saying 1000l of green was about €1350.

mad stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Are they legally obliged to have the camera there?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

There's something weird going on. Top oil have their website up again but only have kerosene,no gas oil. EMO have a limit of 500 litres of gas oil on their deliveries.

Corrib Oil are at 1.45. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Good job we're in March you'd be hoping we wouldn't need much heating oil anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Must've been a big run of people trying to get in before the price rises. Their infrastructure can only cope with so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Big contractor rang supplier. 1.15 for green diesel. Rang another place, 1.43. Said it's going to 1.80 next week. And in a couple of weeks it won't be got at all.

Make of that what you will!

I find it hard to believe supply will dry up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Read somewhere a few years back that experts estimate that crude oil supplies will get scare in 45-50 years. Then you'll have a crisis of major proportions.

They've been saying that for a long long time. They keep finding more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

At least he got a quote, no one knows what next week's price is going to be. I ordered a barrel of lubricating oil, €600, told me not to dump the stuff I'm draining out......

Cooking oil will be next.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Jesus lads this is getting frightening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

The thing to remember is price either rises until supply increases enough or else price rises until demand is killed.

There isn't much scope for total supply to increase in the short term. So the only option is to keep rising until demand is killed off sufficiently.

Something has to give and we will soon find out what.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ginger22

Thing is with all this green bullshit they have cut back on exploring for the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

willfull waste makes for woeful want.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Ukraine is one of the world's leading producer sunflower 🌻

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I paid 1.699/l on Tuesday, the next day the same garage had it up to 1.759, today it is 1.859 and it is going up again tonight by 10c. The owner told me that he will be out of diesel over the weekend and will not be getting anymore until Wednesday. He didn't know what price it was going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Daughter said you have to give your name, area you're from, car reg , litres bought and phone number. This is for green and Kero, even drums. She said someone came in a few years ago looking to see the records of who was buying green etc and they had none

I'd stockpile goods now if I could. If there's a shortage of diesel there'll be a shortage of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Ireland keeps several months fuel supply, we are in a better position than many other countries that tend to run just in time systems and have little buffer. The shortage of Green is more down to panic buying. I do see Oil spiking much higher this year, but it'll come crashing down again over the coming years. The barrel of Oil may see $300 but it we also return to $30. The end of the European dependence on Oil and Gas has just now been totally accelerated. The amount of investments in renewable tech will be mind boggling. And that doesn't mean insulation and solar panels, it'll be much more, it'll be a switch to more organic farming methods less reliant on fossil fuels.

It was said on RTE that some members of the Irish Road Haulage association are not getting the supplies they're supposed to get. We may have supply backed up but if supply stops coming in then they'll start to ration it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

And more food shortages, poor organic crops won't feed the world

• Advertisement

idk, I'm going to keep an open mind. Half of my farm might as well be organic as it will not get any bag fertilizer this year. If anything it's a challenge I'm now looking forward to. A new challenge in farming for me rather than the same old ding dong

The problem s with organic farming doen't show themselves properly for 3 or 4 years as the fertility drops and weeds multiply. One year on its own won't be any different

The present organic conditions where you can take in slurry and straw from conventional farmers makes them non organic as far as I'm concerned.

We'll rue the day we've let public servants tell us how to farm, They live in an economically insulated world

Well that's been the rhetoric I've been hearing about farming without fertilizer form every joe going the road, idk if any of them are talking from experience or are just stuck in there ways and cannot change. I have photos of my uncles place from the 1960s, he was able to grow Barley, spuds, and fattened sheep with no Bag fertilizer. Since I've been farming it all I could do is block stone drains from big machinery. Make the top skin of the soil soft and wet from all the fertilizer and there's rushers in fields that never had them before. So for me I'm going to try and get out of this "modern" way of farming

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

And on yer uncles farm, what was the yield like of that barley and the spuds? How many sheep had he? And could you make a living from that now?

(we're gone way off topic here talking about organic farming on a green diesel thread)

Yea, you'd grow the middling crops if you ploughed land that was grass, you'd use a lot of farmyard manure on the tillage. grass Land would be stocked lightly and sheep would fatten because worms wouldn't be a problem at a ewe to the acre. Worldpopulation has trebled since the sixties, work it out, Organic farming cannot feed the world, the good organic subsidies means that farmers needn't produce,

Well I'm not campaigning for Organic, I'm just saying that there are other ways that are less dependent on fossil fuels and I'm willing to give them a try. Anyways as your man said, we are off topic now. (not that there's an awful lot to say about green diesel other than the price)

It's the free market that has driven it to this not public servants.

Food production has been the vulgar relation in Europe for decades now, along with energy and defense.

Could you make a Living from it recently either way?

Many farms 25 year's ago reared families, now they could hardly maintain a single man.

Long term where is that going?

Every business has to expand to stay viable, the problem is tha farming is too expensive to expand and not sustainable for the immediate future either.

A man thet used to work for my father tells the story of my father selling cull ewes to a dealer for £6 when his wages were £3/wk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

What is the most diesel efficient way of feeding cattle next winter-pit silage,bales, hay,cereals,forage crops.that is from the ground to mouth and maybe deal with slurry as well

Advertisement