Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Swing

Options
  • 06-08-2014 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭

Another silly question here.

As I said before I'm going to start working on a small project for myself in Java.

Its been mentioned to me that swing is outdated and not necessarily worth the effort. My question is, what would be the best (if any) alternative platform to create a UI to run a java program on?

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Another silly question here.

As I said before I'm going to start working on a small project for myself in Java.

Its been mentioned to me that swing is outdated and not necessarily worth the effort. My question is, what would be the best (if any) alternative platform to create a UI to run a java program on?

Ta

The web.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

ChRoMe wrote: »
    The web.

Can you be a bit more specific please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dsrckiyisvddht

JavaFX

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

What Chrome is suggesting is that rather than creating a desktop application, look at developing a web application.

To do this you'll need to learn about servlets and http communication, there are loads of tutorials out there. You can then move on to wonderful things like the Spring framework etc.

Search for something like "java web application introduction" and you'll be on the right road.

Advertisement