Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship, Division 1 and 2 and Conference 2014-15

• 06-08-2014 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭

Well this was quite successful last year and I developed a strange soft spot for Northampton Town following some heartfelt posts from 'Dozen Wicked Words in particular.
    Who do you think will win the three lower divisions fancy Fulham myself for the Championship, with maybe Sheffield United and Bury for Divisions 1 and 2, maybe Grimsby for the conference. Anyone any inside information as to whether teams have spent big down in the lower leagues?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The world needs more Cobblers fans!

Cobblers have realistic chance of play-offs this year (think I may have said that at start of last season too), virtually whole new team again this season, half finished ground renovation for first few months of the season.

In League 2, I reckon Southend will get up this year, Portsmouth should go close again after years of struggle and maybe Luton will be on a roll from last year, Wimbledon have the beast Akinfenwa up front so they might finish higher than last year.

League 1 Sheffield United have to get up this year, and if Coventry could maintain any kind of stability off the pitch (admittedly doesn't look likely) they would be challenging. Peterborough to get relegated (not going to happen but bit of wishful thinking)

Championship, very evenly matched league this season, the teams that came down aren't anything special. Not convinced at all by Norwich's manager or Cardiff's, maybe Fulham have the edge there out of the three but still none are scary for the rest of the Championship. The teams that came up are of similar quality. Derby and Forest my vague tips for promotion.

Barnet and Torquay to escape the conference, shame not to see Hereford there, maybe we will see them there again one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There will be huge expectation on Derby Co to get promoted I think, some fine players, top coach (really), so close last time. Wolves could do well, though have been very quiet in the market. Obviously Fulham, Norwich and Cardiff with quite few expensive players on the books will be under pressure.

It'll be interesting to see how Luton do in League Two, they ran away with the Conference.

It'll be interesting to see how Luton do in League Two, they ran away with the Conference.

I think John Still is lumbered with the tag some managers have about "his level". With him, Conference and League Two seems to be it. Seems like such a nice man though, hope he does OK, well supported club and along with Pompey will put some money in the coffers of other teams in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Read yesterday that Darius Henderson (who turns 33 in a month's time) is on £12,000 a week at Leyton Orient. Mental scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Championship: Bloody hard to call. Obvious favourites seem to be Wigan, Fulham, Cardiff, Norwich and Reading but I'm going to take a punt on a club that seems to be sorting itself out after a few years of mayhem and tip Blackburn. If they can hang on to Jordan Rhodes I think they've a fantastic chance.

League 1: Sheffield United. Improved remarkably under Nigel Clough and the pieces seem to be in place for them to finally escape the third tier.

League 2: They just missed out last year and I think they'll finish the job this time around - Burton Albion.

Conference: Torn between Grimsby and Barnet, I'll plump for the former.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Any tv stations showing the Watford Bolton game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I'm a Blackburn fan. Not sure why people are tipping us to win it. I don't think we have the defence or midfield to do it.

With Rhodes I hope we get top 6. Without him we'd be mid table at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

how it looks for me.

championship: forrest will compete with the teams who came down, think Fulham may actually struggle. Think bournemouth may run well this year as a dark horse

league one: sheff united will be very good this year, Orient will be competitive and barnsley will be good.

League two: all the hype about big spending Bury. Pompey there are there abouts and dark horse tranmere.

As for me im a Coventry city fan. Very hard for me to be optimistic about the state of the club in general. Have lost our two top scorers last year in Clarke and Wilson. have lost frank moussa who got 10+ from midefield last year and lost our keeper Joe Murphy.

However feel we have recurited well Reda Johnson is a good center back in from Wednesday, Danny Pugh has a lot of experince. Marcus Tudgay, shaun miller and Josh McQuoid give us plenty of options up front.

have a lot of faith in Steven Pressley but think the squad is far to small. Couple of injuries and we are relying on the academy players.

Expect us to be 8-16 wont be under threat to go down, dont think we will push for play offs.

Great start to the season, Cobblers register opening day win for first time in six years. Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Great start to the season for Watford. The 2012-2013 strike force has been reunited and already today they got one each. Really feel they can push for automatic promotion this season. Solid squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Mancienne was MOTM today in Forest's first game of the season. Delighted for him. I must have said 10 times in the bundesliga thread and on the HSV forum that he never got a fair shake in Germany. I hope he goes on to prove me right. He's more than capable of playing in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Very good wins for Sheffield Wednesday, Bournemouth, Watford and Ipswich today in the Championship.
    Oat23 wrote: »
    Mancienne was MOTM today in Forest's first game of the season. Delighted for him. I must have said 10 times in the bundesliga thread and on the HSV forum that he never got a fair shake in Germany. I hope he goes on to prove me right. He's more than capable of playing in the PL.

Sunderland were linked to him a lot so it would seem quite a coup for Forest to have signed him if there was genuine Premier League interest, though it might have been a lazy link due to Lee Congerton.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭BarcodeMuncher

Great to see a Legend back home, would like to see Forest make the leap this year.

Ah now!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28730678

Is this a record? Who got binned after the opening game a few years back? The score was about 7-1 and he went to on do very well elsewhere..annoying, I can't recall who it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mark Robins has left Huddersfield by "mutual consent."
    'Following yesterday's first day defeat, Mark met with the board of directors. At the conclusion of the meeting, Mark and the directors all agreed it would be in the interests of all parties to part company.

'Accordingly, Mark's contract has ended amicably and by mutual consent.

'Huddersfield Town would like to place on record its thanks to Mark and wish him all the best for the future.'

I'm not sure about the ins-and-outs of his relationship with Huddersfield, but a manager gone 1 day into the season. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Derby to get promoted would be my prediction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

Ah now!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28730678

Is this a record? Who got binned after the opening game a few years back? The score was about 7-1 and he went to on do very well elsewhere..annoying, I can't recall who it was.

Bryan Gunn was manager of Norwich when they lost to Colchester 7-1 on the opening day. Paul Lambert was Colchester's manager and took over Norwich the following game.

Cheers, I knew it was 7-1 and someone did well out of it! the rest was hazy

Big win tonight for the Cobblers in Capital One Cup knocking out Wolves from the Championship, good confidence boost for York next game hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Big win tonight for the Cobblers in Capital One Cup knocking out Wolves from the Championship, good confidence boost for York next game hopefully.

Cracking win for Burton as well beating Wigan 2-1!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Oat23 wrote: »

Sent off tonight :o

Johner wrote: »
    Cracking win for Burton as well beating Wigan 2-1!

And Shrewsbury beat Blackpool, good night for League 2 clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Barnet followed up a 5 - 0 away win at Chester with a 2 - 0 home win over Bristol Rovers. Promising signs !

Was just about to post the Cobblers had lost but Marc Richards has scored in his second coming for Northampton and got a late equaliser away to York, 10 years since his last goal for us! York the better team by the sounds of it and the Cobblers quite lucky to nick a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Birmingham won a league game at home for the first time in months. Wes Thomas returns with a goal as well. Hopefully we can have a bit of form at home this season, will make it easier to stay up.

Shrimpers in the promotion places so lets end the season there, yeah? Cheers.

massive win for coventry at weekend against sheff utd who now have lost thier first two which is a very poor start for them.

Was worried for Cov haing lost last week and then mid week lost to Cardiff although that was expected. Another home game this mid week and if we can get a win i think it will go down as a good start for us. PUSB

I've backed Shaun Miller to be top goalscorer in League One so pretty disappointed to see McQuoid up front instead of him for Coventry so far this season.

Gone for Nakhi Wells to top score in the Championship. Would have backed Assombalonga now though.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I've backed Shaun Miller to be top goalscorer in League One so pretty disappointed to see McQuoid up front instead of him for Coventry so far this season.

Gone for Nakhi Wells to top score in the Championship. Would have backed Assombalonga now though.

Not sure about Miller just yet. Hope he catches fire but seems to be Tudgay plus one at the minute.

• Advertisement

Cobblers very short unbeaten run over, beaten really easily by Portsmouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭boccy23

Happy out. Last minute equaliser for Berra for Ipswich. 2-2 away tonight. Pity about Saturday. But would be hopeful of a top 6 place this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Nice win against Blackburn tonight and 2 in a row coming in to the derby on Saturday. Loving the way Neil Adams had been written off before a ball was kicked this season. Wes is playing some unbelievable football again and Lafferty seems to be sticking himself about and winning over the fans.

So a Norwich supporter here eh. Maybe we need a thread for the derby on Saturday. Thankfully we're at home which might help. Norwich should be the stronger side and we have struggled at reading and were a bit lucky last night by the sounds of it. 2-0 might be enough in this one!

dissapointed with a point against barnsley last night. had the lead twice and by all accounts would have been good value for the win. Nice to see plenty of differnt signings hitting the ground running.

Conor Sammon is an interesting signing for Ipswich. We rested David McGoldrick for last nights game with an eye on Saturdays game.
    Very Irish feel up front for Ipswich now with Daryll Murphy as well.

• Advertisement

boccy23 wrote: »
    So a Norwich supporter here eh. Maybe we need a thread for the derby on Saturday. Thankfully we're at home which might help. Norwich should be the stronger side and we have struggled at reading and were a bit lucky last night by the sounds of it. 2-0 might be enough in this one!

A repeat of the score lines last time round would be very nice indeed. I'll be at the game and what makes it worse is 2 mates of mine play for that lot. I guess Ipswich won't be used to playing in full stadiums to an increased attendance might frighten them on Saturday :D

I'm guessing Adams will start with almost the same lineup with Garrido the only absentee.

kensutz wrote: »
    A repeat of the score lines last time round would be very nice indeed. I'll be at the game and what makes it worse is 2 mates of mine play for that lot. I guess Ipswich won't be used to playing in full stadiums to an increased attendance might frighten them on Saturday :D

I'm guessing Adams will start with almost the same lineup with Garrido the only absentee.

Too true!! Too long out of the top flight.
    Adams is a good manager and there is talent there.
    I would see Norwich as favourites to bounce back.
    Mind you Grabban made hard work of the last goal last night. Nearly fluffed his lines.

He almost fluffed his 2 goals, hopefully Adams will tell him to put his laces through the ball and just smash it into the net. Early days in the season, couldn't believe SSN were discussing promotion with Bournemouth yesterday after 2 games.

Its Sky. Over reaction theater to everything.
    Now its SSNHQ, it'll be even worse.
    What's the story with Fer?

He was in the squad last night and then down in QPR for a medical. Now rumours are floating about that they are worried about his medical. If we get 7-8 million for him I'd be happy. He's a handy player but not consistent in his performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

How long before Felix Magath comes under pressure? 3 defeats from 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

He doesn't seem to have a clue about the Championship, treating it like an academy league. He obviously thought it would be a perfect chance to blood a whole squad to prepare them for a return to the PL. They are not short on money so should concentrate on building a squad to get them up, not a squad for the future.

Nice to get 10m for Fer yesterday and the incoming signings of Cameron Jerome and Carlos Cuellar. Seems Adams is doing a clear out of Hughtons signings and making the team fit his style of play. Expecting Bassong, Hooper and Becchio to go pretty soon.

Coventry back in the Ricoh. get in!

going home going home going home going home...

aodea wrote: »
    Coventry back in the Ricoh. get in!

going home going home going home going home...

Was a handy revenue source for Northampton but glad for Coventry fans they are going home, just don't forget to pay the rent.

Steven Pressley (who I rated before this anyway) has been very kind about Northampton
    Steven Pressley is relishing the prospect of returning to the Ricoh Arena but, asked what he would miss about the Sky Blues’ temporary home at Sixfields he said: “The people!

“They were terrific with us, made us feel extremely welcome, tried their utmost to make it feel like home. We’re extremely grateful to them for that – they’re a really lovely club with lovely people. In terms of the playing environment you’re talking about the Ricoh Arena which is a Premier League stadium, but we’ve got nothing but positive thoughts about the way Northampton treated us.”

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/coventry-city-boss-thanks-northampton-7659775

Very diplomatic, and really appreciated by Cobblers fans.

He has two games I reckon, fail to win either (Derby away, Cardiff at home) and the international break will be used to make the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Another good result for Norwich today, I've developed a soft spot for them over the last 2 years due to fantasy football and a true hero of the boards in Mickey Turner :)

He has two games I reckon, fail to win either (Derby away, Cardiff at home) and the international break will be used to make the change.

Massive defeat for Fulham 5-1, may not make it to next weekend now.

Forest looking like Champions elect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Great start by forest, delighted for SP

• Advertisement
Advertisement