Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship, Division 1 and 2 and Conference 2014-15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Blackpool, Leeds and Millwall all winning today.
    The Championship is so unpredictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Bees unlucky today very good going forward as usual but once Boro converted the pen their defence was so formidable if they keep it up they will be promoted for sure.

Forest horrible again they shouldn't persist with Pearce much longer.

Ipswich took a serious stumble against second bottom Wigan shocked at that (let me down in an accum too :mad:)

MK Dons now top of L1 now destroyed Crewe at their stadium although Bristol City have 2 games in hand.

Dozen is that the most impressive win for Northampton this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Dozen is that the most impressive win for Northampton this season?

It's the most impressive run, and probably their best win. I had doubts about Wilder after how poor we were before Christmas. He's had a huge shake up, shown a lot the door (including the club captain and last year's player of the year) and got a couple of really good new players in.

Think mid table is probably what we'll achieve, some talking about the play offs but I want more than one good month to go on. Real worry for me now is off the pitch, where we have a chairman saying nothing about a half built stand that was supposed to be finished before this season even started. And huge loan from the council that I'd imagine they'd want us to start paying back at some point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Bolton unlucky to leave without all 3 points against Wolves, but in fairness that equalizer was special. Wolves first goal shouldve been stopped though. Might look back in a couple of weeks and feel stupid, but I genuinely feel we can push for playoffs! Just hopefully yesterdays draw and last Tuesdays loss haven't robbed us of our momentum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

It was coming even with the fans continuing to back him. It shows how well they did at the start of the season that even after their dreadful run they are still well placed for the playoffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

the ever lengthening trail of destruction from Psycho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Surprised Pearce lasted that long. The Derby win only prolonged the inevitable.

Dougie Freedman new Forest boss then. Not a fan of his really but maybe he'll do a job for Forest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    It was coming even with the fans continuing to back him. It shows how well they did at the start of the season that even after their dreadful run they are still well placed for the playoffs.

13pts off 6th spot, not impossible in a league like the Championship. I suppose by the same stretch they are just 7pts above the relegation zone and maybe the chairman moved with that in mind.

Dougie Freedman new Forest boss then. Not a fan of his really but maybe he'll do a job for Forest.

Seems to be able to give his teams a bit of a bounce when he takes over, but doesn't seem to be able to push on from that. Forest have one of the best squads in the league so if he can get them playing well they will start moving up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Sad that it didn't work out for Psycho, but it's turned out pretty much as I envisaged it would last July. Pearce had good intentions and is a decent sort, but he really didn't know what he was doing. His plans for the youth set up were admirable. But the first team had no defined style - other than give it wide to Antonio or just hit it long to Awesomebolonga. The players in the middle, Lansbury and Tesche in particular, have been totally by-passed by the "system" Pearce has used. The ones who actually warrant a place in the team - Osborn, Paterson and Fryatt (when fit) have been ignored for large parts of the season. Its been a long time since I've seen a group of Forest players this devoid of confidence.

This change should have happened before Christmas, but I'm glad Fawaz has acted swiftly to replace Pearce with a very capable manager in Dougie Freedman. Did an excellent job at Palace under very testing financial restraints (which will come in handy with our current embargo). Then in one season, turned Bolton's fortunes around, going from relegation scrapers and to playoff scrappers. 1 win in 10 saw him sacked.

Dougie will do fine, for the moment, i just thank our lucky stars we didn't end up with Keane or Clough Jr. In an ideal world I'd love to see either Sean Dyche (ex Forest player) or Nigel Pearson (Nottingham boy) take over, but that wasn't a goer given their current employment status.

Forest are a circus at the moment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/nottingham-forest/11385607/Nottingham-Forest-face-further-turmoil-as-chief-executive-follows-Stuart-Pearce-out-of-the-City-Ground.html
    Dougie Freedman will be unveiled by Nottingham Forest on Tuesday with the club facing further turmoil after the departure of chief executive Paul Faulkner.

Forest have been plunged into another off-field crisis after Faulkner followed Stuart Pearce out of the exit door, with sources claiming his position was untenable under the regime of chairman Fawaz Al-Hasawi.
    Pearce, the legendary former captain, has also rejected a consultancy role at the City Ground to finally sever his links with the club following his dismissal by the Championship club on Sunday.

Freedman was appointed barely an hour after Pearce’s dismissal was confirmed and is due to hold a press conference today but it is Al-Hasawi, the Kuwaiti owner, who is facing renewed scrutiny after the exit of Faulkner.

Telegraph Sport understands Faulkner, who was appointed in August, was frustrated for more than four months by the restrictions placed on him and clashed repeatedly with Al-Hasawi’s assistants.

He was keen to introduce a proper structure and long-term plan for the future but was frequently ignored and undermined by financial director Lalou Tifrit and Hassan Saef, two aides close to Al-Hasawi.

The Football League is believed to have written to Saef last year to ask him to subscribe to the owner and directors’ test, amid suspicions he is involved in daily operations at the club.

Faulkner is alleged to have been exasperated by Al-Hasawi’s delay in paying clubs for players, with Hull City and Crystal Palace thought to have been waiting for payments owed for the Thomas Ince and Jack Hunt deals respectively.

Peterborough are also owed around £1.5million for Forest's £5.5million signing Britt Assombalonga and chairman Darragh MacAnthony accused Al-Hasawi of missing a payment on Monday night, insisiting it had prevented them from signing players.

In a series of tweets, he wrote: "There wont be any incoming signings today but that has nothing to do with players having to leave etc, the real reason is due

to a certain championship club failing to make an agreed large payment (not thousands btw) last week on plyr they bought from us.

"This same club did this to us in August & now again. Truthfully its a disgrace & their chairman is the same. It has put us last minute in a terrible predicament.

"Its also a shambles the Football League allow this nonsense to carry on & not for the first time. I'm also sure we are not only club who its happened to but the knock on effect is outrageous."

Many agents and suppliers are also understood to have been paid late or are still waiting for money.

There is no suggestion that Al-Hasawi is experiencing financial difficulties but there have been issues regarding the distribution of funds since the takeover in the summer of 2012.

The final straw for Faulkner came when Freedman’s appointment was made without him even being consulted.

Faulkner, who previously held a similar role at Aston Villa, informed Al-Hasawi of his decision to resign and was promptly placed on gardening leave.

Pearce’s extensive back-room staff, which included Steve Wigley, Brian Eastick and Tim Flowers, have also been put on gardening leave in a mass clear-out which is likely to cost a significant amount of money in pay-offs.

Freedman addressed Forest’s players at the training ground on Monday morning in a brief discussion and is expected to bring in long-serving assistants Lennie Lawrence and Curtis Fleming. His contract is rumoured to only be until the end of this season.

The 40-year-old is Al-Hasawi’s seventh managerial appointment in just over two-and-a-half years and he will be working under a transfer embargo after the club breached financial fair play rules.

Despite those financial restrictions, Forest managed to stave off interest from West Bromwich Albion in winger Michail Antonio while Burnley were rebuffed in an attempt to sign Henri Lansbury.

Another win for the Cobblers, only unbeaten league team for calender year (big woop I know, but still) League 2 manager of the month and couple of points of play offs. 6 weeks ago I was more worried about relegation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Another win for the Cobblers, only unbeaten league team for calender year (big woop I know, but still) League 2 manager of the month and couple of points of play offs. 6 weeks ago I was more worried about relegation.

It just show the almost ridiculous nature of the league. Last season yourselves and Wycombe just about managed to avoid getting out of the division the wrong way. Now, this season, you're both in a position to exit the division in the right way, especially Wycombe.

Meanwhile, Southend are looking good for their annual League Two play-off finish! :rolleyes::pac:

It was a good point away to Shrewsbury, but not when it happened in the fashion that it did, conceding an equaliser five minutes from time.

• Advertisement

Wilberto wrote: »
    It just show the almost ridiculous nature of the league. Last season yourselves and Wycombe just about managed to avoid getting out of the division the wrong way. Now, this season, you're both in a position to exit the division in the right way, especially Wycombe.

Meanwhile, Southend are looking good for their annual League Two play-off finish! :rolleyes::pac:

It was a good point away to Shrewsbury, but not when it happened in the fashion that it did, conceding an equaliser five minutes from time.

I think there's been some money thrown at contracts at Northampton. Southend got John Joe O'Toole back on form for us too! He wasn't even making squads, couple of weeks on loan at the seaside and he's playing well again.

Beaten by bottom club Hartlepool today, shame the good run ended. Onto the next one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Good win at home to Cheltenham for Southend. Up to fourth not, just four points off the new league leaders, Shrewsbury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Frustrating night for Burton trying to break down 10 man AFC Wimbledon, Shrewsbury's two last minute goals didn't help either! Still only 6 points separating 1st to 5th and only 2 points separating the top 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Good win at home to Cheltenham for Southend. Up to fourth not, just four points off the new league leaders, Shrewsbury.

We're going up, I think.

• Advertisement

Think Southend will finally get up this year too.

For Northampton its John-Joe o'Toole Day on Saturday. Mansfield away should be a sea of headbands and long hair.(or probably not) On another note, Mansfield should be applauded for their ticket prices, the most the away fans will pay is 7 quid in. Over a thousand Cobblers tickets sold already.

http://www.ntfc.co.uk/news/article/john-joe-otoole-day-2216471.aspx

Well John Joe O'Toole day is going well. He was sent off for an apparent stamp in first half and now Northampton are losing. Shame for the 1200 plus fans who travelled up there.

Think my midtable prediction is right.

Southend are clearly afraid of missing out on their annual play-off semi final appearance and are currently losing 1-0 at home to Accrington Stanley as a result. A win would pull us level with Wycombe in third.

Scratch that, make that 2-0. :(

Scratch that, make that 2-1. The come back is on!

Good point for the Cobblers in the end, Richards last minute penalty salvaged a draw.

A couple of mad games in the Championship today

A couple of mad games in the Championship today

Get some good value madness in the Football league. Especially if Blackpool or Watford are involved in games.

Burton and Shrewsbury 5 clear of third. :D

Southend are clearly afraid of missing out on their annual play-off semi final appearance and are currently losing 1-0 at home to Accrington Stanley as a result. A win would pull us level with Wycombe in third.

Scratch that, make that 2-0. :(

Scratch that, make that 2-1. The come back is on!

Posted when Wycombe were being held by Newport.

However, due to Newport later winner, a win at home to Stanley would have lifted us above Wycombe and into third. Fairly depressing!

Heading to see the Cobblers this weekend, perfectly timed by me, just after their good run of form ground to a halt. It will be my kids first live game of football so hopefully it doesn't scar them for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Heading to see the Cobblers this weekend, perfectly timed by me, just after their good run of form ground to a halt. It will be my kids first live game of football so hopefully it doesn't scar them for life.
    At least they won't have high expectations, you never forget your first club!

• Advertisement

Just in the door (of my brother's house) great day, club mentioned the kids in the programme, so they were made up with that, good performance from Northampton, who even missed a penalty (which was never, ever a penalty so justice was done) and won 3 nil. Anyone complaining about officiating in top divisions need to see the dross lower leagues put up with.

Fuppin freezing though, just beginning to defrost now.

Good news (imo) the Football League have decided against allowing plastic pitches. Northampton Town weren't bothered either way so had a fan vote to decide their stated position in discussions, which came down conclusively against artificial pitches.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/article/2015/league-clubs-keep-it-real-2292106.aspx

Big away win today for Northampton, beat a previously unbeaten at home Shrewsbury who could have gone top with win. Cobblers have hit some great form since the new year but think it'll be too much to get into play offs this season. 6 points off them in 10th.

Big away win today for Northampton, beat a previously unbeaten at home Shrewsbury who could have gone top with win. Cobblers have hit some great form since the new year but think it'll be too much to get into play offs this season. 6 points off them in 10th.

Many thanks from Southend! It proved to be a great day for us in fifth, and Luton in fourth, with the top three all dropping points.

Another day, another win for Northampton, 3 points off the play-offs, leading scorers in division (I think) leading scorer in the division Marc Richards. I think the key is playing with stadium that only has three sides like the glory days of the county ground!

What a comeback for Birmingham against Derby. Very tight at the top of the table, any 2 of 8 could go up automatically.

Richards out for 8 weeks and lost against Plymouth, not a great day for Northampton.

Good comeback for the Cobblers from iffy results and back to 3 points off the play offs after one nil win against Tranmere.

Burton back on track with 2 wins, looking good for promotion now.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Burton back on track with 2 wins, looking good for promotion now.

Jimmy Floyd doing a decent job carrying on the good work there.

Gary was always going to be a tough act to follow but Jimmy has been brilliant so far.

What a huge win for Burton tonight! Injury time in the first half saw them go a goal and then a man down to Southend. Some turnaround in the second half to win 2-1 with 10 men. 5 points clear at the top and 9 points clear of third.

Cobblers got beat at home last night by Carlisle so play offs still out of reach.

Derby imploding. Might not even get the playoffs if their recent form continues. Wolves picking up momentum. Impossible to call who will get automatic promotion at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bournemouth v Middlesbrough tomorrow afternoon, 12:15pm kick off.

Huge, huge game in terms of the automatic promotion spots. 'Boro could find themselves 5 points clear of 3rd with a win or end the day 1 point away from automatic promotion if they lose.

• Advertisement

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Derby imploding. Might not even get the playoffs if their recent form continues. Wolves picking up momentum. Impossible to call who will get automatic promotion at this stage.

2 wins in the last 10 for Derby.

2 wins in the last 10 for Derby.

That own goal from their keeper Lee Grant last night will be on many Goals & Gaffes DVDs!

Bournemouth 1-0 up against Boro at half time. Eddie Howe done some job with them with limited funds. They've owned the first half. A lot of huffing and puffing from Karanka's men but not much else. 1 attempt on goal. Wilson a constant threat for Bournemouth, especially on the break. I really thought they'd do a Southampton and fall away but they're still there, truly amazing.

What a strike from Harry O'Arter :D :clap:

Cherries 2-0 Smoggies

Millwall in shock lead against Brentford.

Another defeat today for the mighty Cobblers, away to Bury who are in good nick, so my guess at mid-table is accurate, they had a great run, but the form end of last year left them too much to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement