Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stock Import Stopped!

Options
  • 06-08-2014 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi Guys

After reading other posts regards Boyds stocks and importing them I went ahead and ordered a stock for a 10/22 build last week and I have just received a letter from Portlaoise Mail Centre saying the following!

(Certain goods may only be imported under a licence e.g. Gun Licence issued by the Dept of Justice. Please forward the original licence from the relevant authority concerned, to the issuing office listed above. On receipt your goods will be posted to your address.)

(If a reply is not received with 14 days the parcel may be returned to the sender.)

What the hell is this about?how can one licence a piece of wood that doesn't contain a serial number, and I have seen so many guys on here import stocks with no issues!
    As always any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭loonymoony

Also I tried ringing them but the office hours are closed from 4,typical! So il try again tomorrow to see what is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

You send them your firearms licence the stock is for, as it acts as the import licence. The stock is a part of a firearm so they just want to make sure you have a licence for it etc... it will be no hassle once you send it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It's a component part of a firearm. I had one stopped last year and I just sent them a photocopy and they released it.

Ok il try it,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

I had this with a scope I imported a few years ago I faxed in my FAC and they sent it on. No real prob but bit of a mind melt like why would you buy a scope or stock unless you had a gun also can't customs check the Garda pulse?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The funny part is the gun stock is classed as a component part so you can understand the want for a firearms license, but a scope. Not a hope. They are imported as optics and even have a lower/different duty/vat/tax class.

I know showing the firearms license is the easiest route, but it's completely unnecessary and possibly not legal. It's not a component part in that the gun will function well without one, not to mention you don't need a firearm or firearms license to own a scope.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

loonymoony wrote: »
    Hi Guys

After reading other posts regards Boyds stocks and importing them I went ahead and ordered a stock for a 10/22 build last week and I have just received a letter from Portlaoise Mail Centre saying the following!

(Certain goods may only be imported under a licence e.g. Gun Licence issued by the Dept of Justice. Please forward the original licence from the relevant authority concerned, to the issuing office listed above. On receipt your goods will be posted to your address.)

(If a reply is not received with 14 days the parcel may be returned to the sender.)

What the hell is this about?how can one licence a piece of wood that doesn't contain a serial number, and I have seen so many guys on here import stocks with no issues!
    As always any advice would be greatly appreciated

Happened me as well as the lads send in license and it will be released straight away

It's just ridiculous stuff, at the end of the day it's just a glorified chuck of wood!I mean a baseball bat is more dangerous in the right hands! And what's stopping me from cutting down a tree in my back garden and carving it into a rifle stock!nothing! Do I need a licence for that too! Sorry for the rant but I'm just really sick of the stupidity of this silly country and it's frivolous laws or lack off in some cases!

PS thanks for the advice lads

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

loonymoony wrote: »
    And what's stopping me from cutting down a tree in my back garden and carving it into a rifle stock!nothing! Do I need a licence for that too!

Not a thing. As long as it wasn't imported.

The law can be a dick, but as said above it's easier to show the license and get what you want than stand on your principles and end up fighting tooth and nail for €100 worth of timber.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Not a thing. As long as it wasn't imported.

The law can be a dick, but as said above it's easier to show the license and get what you want than stand on your principles and end up fighting tooth and nail for €100 worth of timber.

Very true, just wish is wasn't the case.think il start making my own stocks if anyone is interested, haha

Advertisement