Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 month braces, where to go???

• 06-08-2014 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

So i am looking into getting braces, preferably the clear 6 month ones and would like to know if anyone knows of a dentist that is good but has a payment plan. I dont have that much spare cash so one that can offer a long payment plan would be better. I dont mind traveling and hear it is cheaper up the north and i have started looking on-line but i really dont know where to start.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

I think the payment plan will only last for the duration of the treatment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I am no orthodontist, but all these quick braces (more correctly limited objective orthodontics) work in the same principle, that is that they do not fully correct the bite or malocclusion but concentrate on the issues that bother adult patients most. They are sometimes most heavily marketed by dentists with limited training and experience with orthodontics.

From talking to orthodontists, these treatment have their pros and their cons. I would recommend you visit a dentist that provides ALL forms of braces treatments because if your only tools is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.

there are certain immutable biological limits to how fast teeth can be move safely that cannot be overcome with a fancy bracket or wire.

I think that all these things can work well and work terribly depending on who does it and case selection. Seek a consultation with a orthodontist/ dentist with experience in providing all forms of braces so your getting the treatment that you need not the only treatment the dentist provides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭pinkbear

I agree with fitzgeme. I asked my dentist about them, and he said don't go near them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

pinkbear wrote: »
    I agree with fitzgeme. I asked my dentist about them, and he said don't go near them.

Limited objective orthodontics is a good treatment. You just need the pros and cons explained before you start. And only a dentists who does a lot of orthodontics and is familiar with all ways of moving teeth and the various systems can give you that advice.

When your only tool is a hammer all you problems look like nails.

Advertisement