Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPAR Bottled Water: Drink within three days of opening ?

• 06-08-2014 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

So I bought a small bottle of water from SPAR last week and looked at the back label.

"Once Open Drink Within Three Days"

What is that all about ? Yes I do know that water never expires, but plastic in bottles does get old .... but three days ?? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Is this really a consumer issue? I'm not sure what the question is?

And water will very much expire. Once you open it , it will start growing bacteria very quickly, especially if it's not in the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Piliger wrote: »
    So I bought a small bottle of water from SPAR last week and looked at the back label.

"Once Open Drink Within Three Days"

What is that all about ? Yes I do know that water never expires, but plastic in bottles does get old .... but three days ?? :confused:

Its to cover their asses legally. Like having a "warning contains nuts" on a packet of peanuts or "keep hands away from moving parts" on chainsaws and lawnmowers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Is this really a consumer issue?

How can it not be a consumer issue ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

That's completely reasonable.

The water's packed in in an aseptic environment and should be bug-free when it goes into the bottle.
    Once you open the water and drink (or backwash it) it'll be full of bugs.

Because bottled water's not chlorinated (i.e. doesn't contain bleach) like tap water, it's effectively just a bottle of stagnant water once it's opened.

So, the label is completely sensible. It's basically stating the obvious, but even so it's probably not a bad idea to mention it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I just checked 2 well known brands of water here and both say the same. And rightly so, as Former Legend explained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's not a Consumer Issue - moving to Food & Drink.

As other posters have said, once the seal is broken and opened, the contents are exposed to the outside world.

Advertisement