Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Howard Webb retires from refereeing

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I thought he was a great ref.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Kiith wrote: »

Agreed, Mike Dean is the one I'd be celebrating to see the back of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He was no Collina, I'll say that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Someone needs to tell him van Gaal already has an assistant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Collina was overrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Agreed, Mike Dean is the one I'd be celebrating to see the back of.

Best referee in the league currently IMO.

He always looks to let the game flow and isn't afraid to make big decisions. Some referees avoid making any sort of big call, but Dean certainly doesn't and that's to be applauded IMO.

Arsenal rarely win when he's in charge so I can understand why you don't like him. The statistic is mental to be fair.

On another note, his reactions mid-game are hilarious. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Cue the jokes about Howard Webb and Man Utd.

b757 wrote: »
    Cue the jokes about Howard Webb and Man Utd.

10478932_1455960684688347_7162612769781940098_n.jpg?oh=a27f8c78a361b0a2840a978512c26913&oe=5446D13F&__gda__=1413557589_6315a99fd74e1d9644bd57b4adefe6e0

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Paully D wrote: »

Arsenal rarely win when he's in charge so I can understand why you don't like him. The statistic is mental to be fair.

Pretty much my whole argument against him right there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

bohsboy wrote: »
    Collina was overrated.

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Could say that about every referee other than Collina. So good he even managed to be on the cover of one of the best football games of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

As a United fan I can say what an awful day, we didn't think he would be on the list that would be leaving United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Earned himself a reputation as a good referee in England because he often put his sizeable frame between opponents squaring up to each other. His actual decision making was dreadful at times.

With the World Cup on the horizon he was afraid of his life to make the wrong call and some of his decisions were bizarre to say the least. The 2010 World Cup final should have been enough for him not to get the call up again anyway.

Hilarious to see some Liverpool fans still buy into the favouritism towards United.

Glad he's gone, a few more should follow suit. The standard of refereeing is very poor in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Kiith wrote: »

Really? Would a great ref give a yellow card for this?

Nigel-de-Jong-006.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

On another note, his reactions mid-game are hilarious. :pac:

webb.gif

WHAT. WHAT IS. THIS. THIS IS A HAND? *Whistles*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Augmerson wrote: »
    webb.gif

WHAT. WHAT IS. THIS. THIS IS A HAND? *Whistles*

I was talking about Mike Dean's reactions, not Howard Webb's. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

11 out of 15, apparently;

BuYZoxtIcAAHb8J.jpg

blueser wrote: »

So United are only his 4th favourite team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭irishgoldberg

317476.jpghes gonna spend more time with his family!

• Advertisement

So United are only his 4th favourite team?
    Eh? Did you look at the table?

Eh? Did you look at the table?

Yes. City, Arsenal and Norwich have a better PPG average than United.

BTW I was being facetious as that table means absolutely f*ck all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭Ardent

The standard of refereeing is very poor in the Premier League.

You said it. So many games every season ruined by incompetents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Friend was complaining about Webb robbing his team so I looked at the last 10 games he's reffed for each of the top teams. More or less the same cards distributed. Not much difference. (Depends on the team really, how dirty they play)

*should have put in yellow cards to opposition but I'm falling asleep and forgot ha

Last 10 games he has reffed for:
    Yellow Cards Given To Team
    Red Cards Given To Team
    Red Cards Given To Opposition
    Arsenal:
    Chelsea:
    Liverpool:
    Man City:
    Man United:

I think some people just remember bad calls given to their team and build their opinion around that one call. The whole United thing came from back in 2009 in the FA cup.

Honestly I think he was a good character to have. Going to be weird not seeing him ref. Most refs in premiership are on the same level. Not the best refs in the world and in most cases the decisions go in favour of the home side.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Not necessarily a bad thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

LVG must be gutted. 10 points a season down the tubes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

BuYZoxtIcAAHb8J.jpg

He was talking about Mike Dean, can't remember our win percentage but It's shocking around 20% I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Why has no one mentioned Phil Dowd?

Awful referee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

BuYZoxtIcAAHb8J.jpg

Why does that start in 2009???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

efb wrote: »

The question you should be asking is:

What type of person sits down to make this type of thing?

efb wrote: »
    Not got a clue. It wasa lifted off Sky Sports Twitter page (presumably on their site as well).

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

A rerun of the United vs Liverpool match at Old Trafford from January 2013 was on MUTV last night with Webb refereeing. How any Liverpool fan can seriously say that he was biased towards United is beyond me. Based on that game, if anything he was extremely favourable towards Liverpool.

I didn't really see Webb any differently from any other referees. He was as inconsistent as the rest for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Webb was a very good ref. He got a couple of calls massively wrong in the 2010 World Cup Final but that shouldn't overshadow his handling of games which got him that game, and so many other high profile matches over the years.

The Man United jokes are so tired.

He should have got the 2014 World Cup Final as well, IMO. The Brazil vs Chile game was probably the refereeing performance of the tournament despite a hostile crowd baying for every decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

cournioni wrote: »
    A rerun of the United vs Liverpool match at Old Trafford from January 2013 was on MUTV last night with Webb refereeing. How any Liverpool fan can seriously say that he was biased towards United is beyond me. Based on that game, if anything he was extremely favourable towards Liverpool.

I didn't really see Webb any differently from any other referees. He was as inconsistent as the rest for sure.

I cant speak for all liverpool fans but I'd hazard a guess our opinion, mine certainly, is based on more than one game.

I'd also point out that basing an opinion on one game is idiotic

Iang87 wrote: »
    I cant speak for all liverpool fans but I'd hazard a guess our opinion, mine certainly, is based on more than one game.

So do you genuinely think he favoured United? or didn't like Liverpool? Or both?

• Advertisement

My opinion is based on the fact that he never stood out to me as somebody even remotely biased towards United. In fact there are a number of high profile incidents involving Webb that went against United.

That game happened to be on last night and I found some of the decisions he gave against United to be shockingly poor. If Liverpool fans could back up some of their claims then maybe the non-Liverpool fans could take it at least a bit more seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'm just glad he's gone. Awful ref that gave dubious decisions. Not that he was the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

He wasn't the worst referee by any means but prone to a few gaffs (like most refs) that, because he was a high-profile figure, tended to get scrutinised further. The 'United bias' thing was pretty silly (I'm a LFC supporter) and although the Babel twitter photo was an amusing episode, it made me cringe that fellow supporters would believe that a referee would have a conscious bias to a team.

I'd like to see more done to help referees get the big decisions right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The Howard Webb favoring United myth is just the perfect example of how many fans will actively and joyfully embrace complete ignorance.

If Liverpool fans could back up some of their claims then maybe the non-Liverpool fans could take it at least a bit more seriously.

He gave a penalty to United when a Liverpool player fouled a United player in the box. He also gave a red card to a Liverpool player when they recklessly tackled a United player.
    I mean the absolute cheek of the man...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Only ref to send a player off for back chat in the FA's very short respect the ref campaign which happened to be a Liverpool player at Old Trafford

He was just a bad ref who made bizarre decisions at times

Only ref to send a player off for back chat in the FA's very short respect the ref campaign which happened to be a Liverpool player at Old Trafford

Was that not Steve Bennett that sent off Mascherano? You're mixing up haircuts I think.

In fairness, Mascherano was utterly stupid to persist with his "back chat" after the publicity surrounding the Ashley Cole incident at the time. I agree with you though, that respect campaign was a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Was that not Steve Bennett that sent off Mascherano? You're mixing up haircuts I think.

In fairness, Mascherano was utterly stupid to persist with his "back chat" after the publicity surrounding the Ashley Cole incident at the time. I agree with you though, that respect campaign was a joke.

You maybe right they all mix into one as some times they are just all bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Players should be punished for back chat, harassing, insulting and trying to influence the referee. It might cut out all the bull**** playacting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Glen Johnson effed and blinded at the ref during the United/Liverpool friendly the other day after the ref rightfully gave a foul against him. It was totally unwarranted and deserved a red card and a ban. The ref bottled it, as most do.

If more refs had the courage to send players off for swearing at them, the game would be the better for it.

So do you genuinely think he favoured United? or didn't like Liverpool? Or both?

honestly thought there was an element of both. I remember maybe a year ago Liverpool were playing united and the ref was announced and when webb was announced uniteds odds shortened to win the game.

In saying that I think its probably more a case of a dislike of liverpool than doing united favours.

My dislike the past year or two comes from Webbs simple refusal to make a decision in a match. Was it him in the liverpool arsenal cup game that didnt give a stonewall penalty which would have made the score 2-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

honestly thought there was an element of both. I remember maybe a year ago Liverpool were playing united and the ref was announced and when webb was announced uniteds odds shortened to win the game.

You know how bookies work, right? How they make their profits from moving the line? It works off the bets made.

The silly punters hear the Webb news, believe the ridiculous notion about him favouring United and put a load of bets on. Then, the odds shorten accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Or no decisions at all! Over the last couple of seasons he just seemed to ignore every potentially big / controversial decision.

As a Liverpool fan the game that sticks out in my mind is the Chelsea one in Stamford bridge last season (Etoo escaped a red card in the opening minutes and then a stone wall penalty towards the end).

I think he just lost his bottle though in general rather than 'favouring' one team over another

Kirby wrote: »
    You know how bookies work, right? How they make their profits from moving the line? It works off the bets made.

The silly punters hear the Webb news, believe the ridiculous notion about him favouring United and put a load of bets on. Then, the odds shorten accordingly.

I know how bookies work. These odds were cut befoe the money went on. I think you missed that part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Kirby wrote: »

If more refs had the courage to send players off for swearing at them, the game would be the better for it.

This, the problem would be eliminated / reduced over night if they done this. Worked for the tackle from behind, so why do FIFA/ FAs give the refs the respect the deserve / need and support them into doing something like this?

Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
Advertisement