Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Howard Webb retires from refereeing

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Iang87 wrote: »
    honestly thought there was an element of both. I remember maybe a year ago Liverpool were playing united and the ref was announced and when webb was announced uniteds odds shortened to win the game.

In saying that I think its probably more a case of a dislike of liverpool than doing united favours.

My dislike the past year or two comes from Webbs simple refusal to make a decision in a match. Was it him in the liverpool arsenal cup game that didnt give a stonewall penalty which would have made the score 2-2

That chart above shows 7 United losses out of 20 with him in charge. Now I could harp on about how that's an inordinately large percentage of games to lose for a team at the top of English football during his career or I could look past the numbers and come to the conclusion that Howard Webb, regarded as the top referee in the league got a lot of the big games. Tough games for United against the likes of City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea.

He also got a lot of Liverpool's big games at a time when Liverpool were not in the same class as the other big names in the league and as expected wouldn't have a fantastic record in those games leading to a poor record under his officiating.
    It's such a cop-out to look at the results when he was in charge and then form the opinion he was biased against Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

That chart above shows 7 United losses out of 20 with him in charge. Now I could harp on about how that's an inordinately large percentage of games to lose for a team at the top of English football during his career or I could look past the numbers and come to the conclusion that Howard Webb, regarded as the top referee in the league got a lot of the big games. Tough games for United against the likes of City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea.

He also got a lot of Liverpool's big games at a time when Liverpool were not in the same class as the other big names in the league and as expected wouldn't have a fantastic record in those games leading to a poor record under his officiating.
    It's such a cop-out to look at the results when he was in charge and then form the opinion he was biased against Liverpool.

I'm not using liverpools record under him particularly based on that chart that was doing the rounds because liverpool in the past 5 years have been hit and miss. Its moreso decisions he made against us that were very poor over the past ten years. Any google search will pop you up 4 or 5 awful ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I'm not using liverpools record under him particularly based on that chart that was doing the rounds because liverpool in the past 5 years have been hit and miss. Its moreso decisions he made against us that were very poor over the past ten years. Any google search will pop you up 4 or 5 awful ones

But you could do that for any team over the past 10 years. If I could be arsed trawling though games that he officiated in I'm sure I could find a few terrible decisions for any team. It's because it's a team with such a huge fan base that hasn't had the success they think they should have in these kind of fixtures that it becomes more noticeable and the videos go up on YouTube or whatever.

If you searched my post history on Webb you would see me claim on many an occasion that he was a poor ref for everybody, not any particular team.

Two high profile games last year for liverpool had two webb clangers.

I do think theres more to it though than just people take more notice because its liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

cournioni wrote: »
    A rerun of the United vs Liverpool match at Old Trafford from January 2013 was on MUTV last night with Webb refereeing. How any Liverpool fan can seriously say that he was biased towards United is beyond me. Based on that game, if anything he was extremely favourable towards Liverpool.

I didn't really see Webb any differently from any other referees. He was as inconsistent as the rest for sure.

The stats are atrocious for us, P5 D2 L12, but in fairness it's probably because we were a bit shyte for most of that time.
    The Howard Webb favoring United myth is just the perfect example of how many fans will actively and joyfully embrace complete ignorance.

It also shows how some fans can miss a joke when it is aimed at their team.
    That_Guy wrote: »
    The question you should be asking is:

What type of person sits down to make this type of thing?

Indeed. Well played.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

You maybe right they all mix into one as some times they are just all bad

oh deary me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Flouride in the water, 9/11 was an inside job, NWO, Illuminati, Chemtrails, Magic Bullet, Howard Webb conspired against Liverpool and for United.

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

I assumed it was going this way alright. Awful pity we have to assume all referees are robots and have no feelings towards any club they referee because as soon as you question it people like you make us out to be spastics.

The funniest thing about this thread is the people getting all upset over the Utd jibes! Hilarious. Cmon lads learn to take a joke, I don't think anyone actually thinks Webb was on the Utd payroll.

He was awful for EVERY team. Hometown ref and a bottler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I assumed it was going this way alright. Awful pity we have to assume all referees are robots and have no feelings towards any club they referee because as soon as you question it people like you make us out to be spastics.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/video-ref-howard-webb-leads-3327187

WAKE UP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

With Webb in charge of a game you where nearly always gauranteed a bad decision at some stage .
    I have always said he was a poor ref and the World Cup final he did really showed how bad he was .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Anyone who watched him in the World Cup or Champions League will have seen how good a referee he is. Whatever your opinion of him, he has been an excellent referee over the last decade in the PL and was duly rewarded with high-profile matches as well as doing the League Cup, FA Cup, Champions league and World Cup finals. Pretty amazing career. There are very few PL referees who you would like to see in charge of a big match now so he will undoubtedly be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ardent wrote: »
    You said it. So many games every season ruined by incompetents.

So where is the standard good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Flouride in the water, 9/11 was an inside job, NWO, Illuminati, Chemtrails, Magic Bullet, Howard Webb conspired against Liverpool and for United.

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Don't worry if you don't believe in the Illuminati, they believe in you.

Advertisement