Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judges & Courts in Ireland after '22

Options
  • 06-08-2014 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi lads

I always wondered what happened to the judiciary after 1922. Were the old judges sent to the boats to the UK? Or did they just switch allegience to the new state? I cant imagine pre 22 judges being taken seriously after independence? Did the government just appoint brand new judges?

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

the British executioners were kept on.

Henry Hanna KC certainly stayed on as a judge in the Free State. Can't remember if he was a judge before 22 though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From my reading a book on the constitution law, it was fairly much the same law as before. Thus there was no point in removing any of the judges. There had been an attempt to re-model the law into an old Brehon model, but that never really got much traction. Hence any pre-Independent law still is in force unless it is "repugent to the constitution",

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

da_hambo wrote: »
    Hi lads

I always wondered what happened to the judiciary after 1922. Were the old judges sent to the boats to the UK? Or did they just switch allegience to the new state? I cant imagine pre 22 judges being taken seriously after independence? Did the government just appoint brand new judges?

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks in advance.

Good question. Also were prisoners who were sentenced to long prison terms, maybe life for murder instead of hanging, under British rule, not War of Independence related, kept in prison under the Free State

Advertisement