Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do many school teach Russian in 5th year

• 06-08-2014 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

or is it only a very rare number of schools

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Its very rare most people I've heard of who did Russian for the leaving did it either out side of school or were Russian and were fluent speakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Only 285 sat Russian at higher level in 2013 and SEC don't publish stats for subjects where less than 10 sit the subject. So <10 for OL last year.

I can't imagine there are many schools offering it. I'd echo ComputerKing. Probably mainly native Russian speakers, people doing it on their own etc.

Last three years stats show 78-80% A grade rate and approx 14% B grades. That certainly suggests almost all native speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

most of the paper is in english, i'd deffo go for it. but it would look very unique

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is a Russian school in the grounds of Muckross in Donnybrook used to do classes on a Sunday - probably still does.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I did the 90 Pimsleur 30 minute Russian lessons (like a book on tape thing) and could understand a lot of the Ordinary Paper after that. Taught myself the Cyrllic alphabet using YouTube. Writing in Cyrllic is tricky though. Its a two year course and not aimed at native speakers (some like Lithuanian are I believe). I think the hardest thing is that you'll be up against native speakers in a way. The correcter will be reading yours at the same time as native speakers and will be comparing to a point. That said, it's a great language and if you can put in the time and effort it would look very unique on a CV. You can find Russian speakers to practice with on many sites like italki.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DennisZ

jhon boy wrote: »
    or is it only a very rare number of schools

Fingal Community College in Swords provides 2yrs course.

Advertisement