Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dressmakers?

Options
  • 06-08-2014 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

Hi - I'm asking this on behalf of my neighbour...

She'd like a dress made and has found a dressmaker - Jo King in Princes St. Charge is E250, plus fabric.

Would this be a reasonable charge for the dress? I have no idea TBH.

And does anyone have any other recommendations?

TIA :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

It completely depends on the quality of the dressmaker - if it is someone who will advise your friend on shapes that suit her and will cut it beautifully exactly to fit your friend then no, I wouldn't say it is expensive. If it is someone who will just cut out a pattern and make it without adjustment to suit your friend, then its probably expensive, if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Makes total sense - Thanks for that. My neighbour went in with a swatch of fabric and the idea of making a maxi dress out of it. Dressmaker advised her to have a knee-length dress with sweetheart neckline and gentle ruching around the waistline which she felt would be more flattering to her.

I thought it was reasonable enough as the dress would be 'designed' for her. But I'm kind of working off London prices and have no idea what would be charged here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Id say that is quite a good price.. I remember getting one made with Ernest Perryman and it was around the same not inc the material..

Is she getting something special made!! Would be interested to know how it turns out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Sorry Milly! After all that, she found a nice outfit in town which she'll be picking up later...

But thinking about it, it does sound about right as I said. I was quoted £600 for a dress in London excluding fabric. And £2k for a wedding dress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah well at least she got sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement