Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do some folks hate Metalcore?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I wouldn't actually consider Crossfaith Electronicore to be honest. I'm quite partial to Jägerbomb and Monolith myself though more in a manner akin to how I'm partial to hearing Soil by Halo come on when I'm in a place that serves booze and plays metal music. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Ah but they are Electronicore..... they are the good Electronicore, some of that stuff linked earlier was the bad try-hard/heavy-rock/dance-blend $hite. Now you're just trying to ensure you can dislike the genre 100% by saying Crossfaith aren't a part of it. :pac:

Cormac... wrote: »
    Ah but they are Electronicore..... they are the good Electronicore, some of that stuff linked earlier was the bad try-hard/heavy-rock/dance-blend $hite. Now you're just trying to ensure you can dislike the genre 100% by saying Crossfaith aren't a part of it. :pac:
    Well I've never seen them referred to as Electronicore really nor would I say I dislike the genre 100%. Hell, I don't think I could say that about any genre. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

For example, I like this quiet a bit, regardless of others hate and vitriol :D

Whoah! That was good! :D How have I not listened to them before? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

For example, I like this quiet a bit, regardless of others hate and vitriol :D

Oh I'm liking this.....

• Advertisement

Hey!!!!!
    Get back into your boxes metal fans!!!
    *Grabs sweeping brush*
    Scram!!!
    Onwards with you!!!
    Nothing to see here!!!
    Kerry King does not feature here!!!!
    Shooo!!!

;););)

(i listen to a LOT of Japanese music, these guys a Japanese)

gizmo wrote: »
    Well I've never seen them referred to as Electronicore really nor would I say I dislike the genre 100%. Hell, I don't think I could say that about any genre. :o

Funnily enough it was via the Wikipedia definition of "Electronicore" that I discovered Crossfaith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronicore

And i'm not even kidding, the definition of the genre led me to look them up after I realised MCM were considered early Electronicore

(skip to 45 seconds, audio quality isn't the best but you get the idea)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I don't hate metalcore, I'd listen to it the odd time, but that'd be about it really. Deathcore on the other hand, I largely hate that one.

(i listen to a LOT of Japanese music, these guys a Japanese)

Same as :D

I take it you've listened to Blood Stain Child then?

Links234 wrote: »
    Same as :D

I take it you've listened to Blood Stain Child then?

If this thread has gotten 2 new people to listen to Crossfaith, then it is easily the most productive "Hate" thread on boards :pac::pac::pac:

The main Japanese bands I like are (prepare for a wall of youtube links that might get me banned :pac::pac::pac: ):

Mad Capsule Markets (R.I.P.)
    All Animals Are Equal (AA=, Takeshi Uedas post MCM band, great 1st 2 albums)

One OK Rock (GREAT band, the best rock from any continent in the last decade hands down)

Knock Out Monkey (Fun Skate Punk Rock)

RottenGraffty (This ****king song kicks too much a$$)

Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas (kind of corny, happy Electronicore)

Also dabbled in some DollBoxx, Baby Metal (which I know you are a fan of, but did you know Takeshi Ueda, of MCM and AA=, writes all their music :) )

BAN ME!!!! It was worth it :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Funnily enough it was via the Wikipedia definition of "Electronicore" that I discovered Crossfaith
    Ah, their own wiki page doesn't mention it, hence my confusion. I tend to avoid the sub-genre wiki pages in general, they can make my head hurt sometimes. :o

As for Crossfaith's popularity in general, Metal Hammer have been pimping the hell out of them for aaaaaaaaages, like since before the Zion EP was released. I think it was through their New Music Monday that I first heard of them too.

EDIT: All of the above links and you didn't mention Maximum The Hormone? Terrible :D

I'm gonna take the time to watch all those vids in a bit Cormac ;) Thanks!

Never heard of Maximum The Hormone or Blood Stain Child to be honest (checking them both out now), the only way I found out about 90% of the bands is via Youtube recommendations as no-one I know listens to Japanese stuff :D

Anyhow, there's now a dedicated thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057270319

Let's mosey on over there cause I feel we're gone of Metalcore topic a bit

Links.... just listen to the 1st 30 seconds of RottenGraffty and tell me over there if it does not absolutely kick A$$

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The "Metalcore" label is a new one to me, but I've looked at a few videos on this thread, and they generally represent a type of rock/metal that just doesn't appeal to me. I don't hate them, and maybe it's just me, but these days I expect more originality and less formula. It's like they're not really trying to make new music any more.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Also dabbled in some DollBoxx, Baby Metal (which I know you are a fan of, but did you know Takeshi Ueda, of MCM and AA=, writes all their music :) )

Doll$Boxx are awesome :D

But yeah, I know Babymetal has some serious talent behind it, I think some of the guys from Blood Stain Child are involved too.

Maybe "All" was an overstatement.

Back to Metalcore.... GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr

It's one of those things, when done well, it's great, when doing poorly, it's formulaic

Would people consider BFMV Metalcore?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Is Asking Alexandria "Metalcore"? They're heading to Dublin again on 29 October, playing the Olympia. New single:

If this is a representative example of "Metalcore", it's ... it's ... I don't know what the heck that is. I don't hate it, but I've heard it all before in different places. It's like they've done a "cut-and-shut" job on other Metal styles.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

This is pretty much why people don't like metalcore.

the above post is a good example too, these kinds of bands are what's generally considered metalcore, not saying there aren't decent bands associated with the scene as well. Just for me these bands aren't horrible, they just really don't capture my attention, they're not doing anything particularly interesting. Formulaic is a great word to describe it.

I don't know if Black Veil Brides even count? :confused: They're pretty much a modern glam metal band, they're sorta what Steel Panther would be if Steel Panther took themselves seriously.

They're not even that bad, although the lyrics are downright terrible

It's pure 80's style cheese metal

Damnit, now I'm listening to Steel Panther, look what you've done? :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'd say glam crossed heavily with emo. I wouldn't have associated them with metalcore at any rate.

• Advertisement

Angron wrote: »
    I'd say glam crossed heavily with emo. I wouldn't have associated them with metalcore at any rate.

Me neither (and I don't really see the emo there either), but it's kinda making me think people just label whatever they don't like as 'metalcore'. On the other hand, between Black Veil Brides and Steel Panther, it looks like I'm bit of a glam/shock rock evening :pac: Listening to Alice Cooper right now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Links234 wrote: »
    I don't know if Black Veil Brides even count? :confused: They're pretty much a modern glam metal band, they're sorta what Steel Panther would be if Steel Panther took themselves seriously.

They're not even that bad, although the lyrics are downright terrible

It's pure 80's style cheese metal

Damnit, now I'm listening to Steel Panther, look what you've done? :pac:

I know they're definitely widely considered metalcore, I think possibly they sort of moved away from the genre a bit but I would say the association is still there. Other bands who I'd also think of when I hear "metalcore" would be along the lines of bring me the horizon, escape the fate and bullet for my valentine. There's nothing wrong with them really, I just think a lot of people would have similar bands come to mind which can be a little hard to take seriously with their tendency towards melodramatic lyrics and, well, the whole image thing. :P

see I've known some fans of emo music who get very annoyed at being associated with bands like this, this is emo.

That's the thing though, maybe fans of emo will say "that sucks, it's metalcore" and fans of metalcore go "that sucks' it's emo", haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I'd say glam crossed heavily with emo.
    Here I am trying to imagine Slade crossed with American Football.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Deschain

IT'S THE SAME CHORUS FOR EVERY SONG BY EVERY BAND! THE EXACT SAME!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

I can safely say that nothing posted in this thread appeals to me whatsoever. I'd consider everything listed as sh!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Some people hate metalcore because it's what "in vogue" in the moment, and as such they are exposed to a lot of poor examples of the genre as well as good ones. In this way it's similar to how nu-metal was roundly derided in the late 90s owing to the swathe of awful bands (Puddle of Mudd) which got swept along with the good ones (Korn) (Yes, Korn. Go shove it up your arse ;) ) It's absolutely ridiculous to bash a genre because of its formula since all genres have one... otherwise how would we categorise them in the first place?

The good stuff is great, and there's a little of it. The bad stuff is rubbish, and there's a lot of it. And that's something which is by no means exclusive to metalcore.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

My problem is with the OP's opening sentence...he's basically asking why people hate and entire genre of music....when the fact is...you cannot like or hate a genre....genre's are silly...within genres there are influential bands driving it...all these bands ahve something in common...they are very good....the bands that follow them and make up the "genre" are not so good....hence we have the so called "big 4" of thrash...not the big 50098....

I would have thought the problem is the assertion that this...

is the same as this...

Granted, if someone told me all of metalcore was like that second travesty then I'd probably make an effort to avoid it too. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Love converge

Would hatebreed be considered metalcore?

• Advertisement

I'd imagine they would all right.

Advertisement