Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Questions/Chat Regarding GR

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Fair enough, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

Just an idea of the forward thinking in relation to the UK Specials

Quote:
    Special constables could be paid an annual tax free bounty in the same way as their counterparts in the Territorial Army, under new plans at a force.

Anthony Stansfield, Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) for Thames Valley, said the move would attract high-quality candidates – and crucially help to retain them.

He also stressed that the annual payment would reward those clocking up the greatest number of hours, and send a message that commitment was highly prized.

There has been an historic power to pay specials a bounty, which was amended in 2003 to make it the responsibility of individual forces to set the level of, subject to Home Office approval.

Mr Stansfield said that the measure was being considered in order to cope with cuts to force budgets, as increasing the use of special constables could help efficiency.

In the Territorial Army, personnel are paid a bounty and are required to attend annual training weekends and camps each year. They are also expected to maintain the level of fitness required for their role and paid a full time rate if mobilised on operations.

Retention assistance

Mr Stansfield – a former soldier who served with the 2nd Battalion, The Royal Green Jackets and the Army Air Corps – said: “I do not see why Armed Forces personnel should get a bounty and special constables should not. It would help with retention.

“It could be used as an incentive if volunteer police officers put in so many hours. It costs a lot to train specials, and I think a payment would help retention a great deal.”

Last year, Northamptonshire PCC Adam Simmonds proposed creating a paid, part-time reserve police force. This measure was then revised in favour of setting up a payment for specials who served for more than their minimum required hours.

However this plan has also been dropped – with the force saying it was rejected by the volunteer officers themselves.

A spokeswoman told PoliceOracle.com: “They told us they would prefer the money to be spent on equipment but also that money was not a driver in persuading them to sign-up, it was more about volunteering and making a difference where they live.

“Following this and a review on the sustainability of paying a bounty, it was decided that it was not an appropriate course for us to take.”

Assistant Chief Officer James Deller, Secretary of the Association of Special Constabulary Chief Officers (ASCCO), said that while the principle of paying specials was sound it had often historically become complicated by red tape.

He added: “People currently join to provide a service to support the public. If you pay specials you might get people joining for monetary reasons. I think it is more important that specials get the proper recognition for the contribution they make to the community.”

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Any indication as to when the Guards might be recruiting again?

Never, if this government have their way. The Minister for Justice said the other day they have made no committment to taking on anymore than the current 100.

billie1b wrote: »
    I think its supposed to 25km or 25 miles from where they live but its not enforced rigidly I think, few lads I went to school with are based in our local station and still live in the area and a couple of others are in the next station over, all part of the one areas juristiction and they live close by too.

You are meant to be 20 miles (minimum) away from your home town. Our local station has a chap 15 miles from his home town. Seems to expections for some.

Same with husband and wives working in the same town, but again expections seem to have been made with a few eyebrows raised.

pah wrote: »
    Having not really pointed out what you think is wrong, even after all that rambling once again ~ how would you do it differently?

I would not copy the model from another county for a start. I would not allow candidates to be able to do tests online without be supervised either! It does not take a genuis to figure how to get around that recruitment process with the use of modern technology.

And if you see nothing wrong with the current recruitment proccess, well then you are not using your intelligence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

That's what you wouldn't do. What would you do, taking financial and time constraints into account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Anybody think the possible collapse of the government could put a halt on recruitment in 2015 or at least delay it?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

One can never be too sure but I do believe that since they have reopened the college and re-staffed it there a pretty good chance that the plan is to keep it open for the foreseeable future as numbers nee to be maintained.

• Advertisement
Advertisement