Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quiet Estate

Options
  • 06-08-2014 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I am approaching a time where I may be in the market for a used car. Vague, I know :p but I am researching some medium to long term plans. If things go well, I may be able to upgrade to a new wagon at some point in the next few years. If things do not, well, it is only the planning which goes to waste.

I am wondering if you guys and gals would have any opinions on quiet cars as due to health implications, noise is priority one at this stage.

I am planning on doing some serious sound deadening work on my Golf as previous attempts have worked very well and wind noise is not an issue. That said, at some point I will have to part ways with the wagon.

After noise levels the next most important things would be reliability, DIY-service-ability, a decent wad of power, tax (2.0 engine or lower for pre 2008) and anything constructive which you may think is important.

The Volvo V50 is one I have recently had my eye on, based on aesthetics alone, but something of that size up to an A6 would be considered. Also, something which would be within the 5 grand mark now or in a few years.

Purely from a running costs perspective, I like the sound of the V50 1.6 Drive model which gives 70 odd mpg. Once I am older making my millions, I will get a decent car with solar system influencing BHP.

Sound perception is so subjective that it makes a thread like this only good for general pointers unless I have access to a good subjective testing methodology, so keyboards and good past experiences at the ready! :p

Thanks all!
    Tagged:

Advertisement