Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I terminate my contract two weeks early?

Options
  • 06-08-2014 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

I'm coming to the end of my year-long contract with Eircom but I'm wondering if it's possible to end it slightly "earlier". 

I contacted Eircom last August (and on this forum too) and spent weeks trying to set up a phone in this house with delays and problems along the way. It took until the middle of September 2013 to set up the contract and a working phone and broadband when I had hoped for the package to begin on September 1st (to coincide with the start of my 12 month lease). So the contract began roughly two weeks after I first planned for it and four weeks after I contacted Eircom. Now I've been told that I've still about 45 days left on my contract so I'll be paying for a few weeks even though my lease ends this month and I leave the country on August 29th.

In other words, instead of subtracting two weeks from my year contract for time when the internet and phone were not working in the property, they simply tacked on those weeks to the end of the period, which I'll have to pay for even though I won't be using the service. 

Is there any flexibility on this matter when it comes to ending a contract early in this case?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

I'm coming to the end of my year-long contract with Eircom but I'm wondering if it's possible to end it slightly "earlier". 

I contacted Eircom last August (and on this forum too) and spent weeks trying to set up a phone in this house with delays and problems along the way. It took until the middle of September 2013 to set up the contract and a working phone and broadband when I had hoped for the package to begin on September 1st (to coincide with the start of my 12 month lease). So the contract began roughly two weeks after I first planned for it and four weeks after I contacted Eircom. Now I've been told that I've still about 45 days left on my contract so I'll be paying for a few weeks even though my lease ends this month and I leave the country on August 29th.

In other words, instead of subtracting two weeks from my year contract for time when the internet and phone were not working in the property, they simply tacked on those weeks to the end of the period, which I'll have to pay for even though I won't be using the service. 

Is there any flexibility on this matter when it comes to ending a contract early in this case?
    Hi ireland.man

The contract would be effective from the date Service is active as opposed to the date the Service is ordered. However there is nothing to prevent you from ceasing a Contract earlier than the Contract end date on the basis that the Early Cease Charges are accepted.

thanks
    Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Eircom took weeks to set up a working package in the house. I had to keep on at them all through August and September and even afterwards they had to send out technicians to fix things, etc. It means that in future if I know I have a tight time frame, a 12 month lease, I shouldn't sign up for a contract with Eircom unless I'm willing to pay for their time delays and continue paying past when I'm using their service.

If the company can be so ambiguous and 'flexible' about the quality of service their customers are receiving (my net speed is a third of what I was promised), and can be so drawn out when setting up a package, then they should be prepared to be more flexible with their contract conditions.

Anyway, even though it's not the answer I wanted, I appreciate your reply Colm, Thanks.

Advertisement