Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect spelling of Sligo road signs??!!

Options
  • 06-08-2014 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Has anyone noticed small changes in spelling on local road signs?
    The last few years I have been driving past the Carraroe roundabout. The current spelling that they using is 'Carrowroe'.
    It was only recently that another set of signs have gone up for Cleveragh. These new signs are spelt 'Cleaveragh'.
    I've been living that side of town for 30+years so a bit peeved they changing spelling for no good reason!
    Is there a logical reason or am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

wally101 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed small changes in spelling on local road signs?
    The last few years I have been driving past the Carraroe roundabout. The current spelling that they using is 'Carrowroe'.
    It was only recently that another set of signs have gone up for Cleveragh. These new signs are spelt 'Cleaveragh'.
    I've been living that side of town for 30+years so a bit peeved they changing spelling for no good reason!
    Is there a logical reason or am I missing something?

They've been like that for years. I'm from Carraroe and that bloody sign has been doing my head in.

Down the south of the county they seem even worse, have you ever heard of the county football champions Tourlestraun? No, me neither.

The theory is (and it's probably utterly untrue) is that the contract for the signage went to a company up North, and somehow a load of the place names ended up being printed phonetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Confusion central is Sligo when it comes to place names.

Ballisodare, Ballysadare
    Tubbercurry, Tobercurry
    Etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Check the place names on the OSi map, afaik its those names that are used on signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

You can drive into Drumcliff and drive out of Drumcliffe.

Similarly Rathcormac and Rathcormack.

I always knew of Enniscrone turns out its Inishcrone.

Plazaman wrote: »
    Confusion central is Sligo when it comes to place names.

Ballisodare, Ballysadare
    Tubbercurry, Tobercurry
    Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

You can drive into Drumcliff and drive out of Drumcliffe.

Similarly Rathcormac and Rathcormack.

I always knew of Enniscrone turns out its Inishcrone.

Keash is on most signs as Kesh. That can get confusing as Kesh is in fermanagh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Some eejit even erected signs in town for the 'City Loop'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Ah the city loop riles people, I like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

And there is always the city core.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I live in Doonally or Dunally, depending on who you're talking to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I live in Doonally or Dunally, depending on who you're talking to!

Whereabouts? Do you have valuables?

I doubt we're the only county in Ireland with this sort of issue, I'd say it's pretty common to have different spellings of the same place seeing as most of the names are anglicised versions of Gaelic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If anyone's bothered here's the bottom line on how its supposed to be done from the Traffic Signs Manual
    Forms and Spelling of Place Names

1.1.49 It should be ensured that the correct forms and spelling of place names are used on traffic signs. In this regard, the following approach should be adopted:
    • Road Authorities should consult the relevant Place-names Orders published as Statutory Instruments;
    • If the place name is not included in a Place- names Orders, the Gazetteer of Ireland (The Placenames Branch of the Ordnance Survey) or www.logainm.ie should be consulted; or
    • In determining the correct Irish form of a place name which is not provided in the above sources, Road Authorities should consult with, and obtain advice from, An Coimisiún Logainmneacha (The Place Names Commis- sion). Before consulting with An Coimisiún, Road Authorities may wish to ascertain through local consultation whether specific place names have a particular local significance or what traditional local usage may exist.

Same handbook/manual is used in all counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

And Coney outside of Ballisodare has become Cooney - does that mean Coney Island in US has to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

wally101 wrote: »
    Cleaveragh is actually the correct spelling going from local history books/records.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

thebuzz wrote: »
    Cleaveragh is actually the correct spelling going from local history books/records.

Same with Carrowroe.

Advertisement