Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD A8/A10 versus iCore 5/7

Options
  • 06-08-2014 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I'm not great with computers. My first laptop had an intel celeron and was chronically slow. My second laptop had an icore 5 and was super fast in comparison. Unforntuately it broke last week and I was given a refund (discontinued so no replacement) and now I have to go looking again and found a very well rated HP but it has an AMD A10 processor and I don't know what that is. It also comes in a AMD A8 version but only with a touchscreen.

Can someone compare the difference between A8 and A10 and those versus icore processors please.

I don't game but I like a fast computer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It's impossible to compare processors based on the brand alone. There are celeron processors released now that are faster than the oldest i7 processors. You can only compare with the full model number. Go to a site called passmark, then click the tab for cpu benchmarks, then select find my cpu, in the search box you can type in the exact model numbers and get a numerical performance score.

I am actually delighted to see this post. You are the first non techie I have ever talked to that knew that the cpu is the main component in deciding how fast a computer is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

GarIT wrote: »
    It's impossible to compare processors based on the brand alone. There are celeron processors released now that are faster than the oldest i7 processors. You can only compare with the full model number. Go to a site called passmark, then click the tab for cpu benchmarks, then select find my cpu, in the search box you can type in the exact model numbers and get a numerical performance score.

I am actually delighted to see this post. You are the first non techie I have ever talked to that knew that the cpu is the main component in deciding how fast a computer is.

I'll have a look at that website now, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

What do non techies think is the main component??

versus.com is handy for comparisons aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Generally RAM.

• Advertisement

Would someone mind taking a look at the laptop for me - I can't seem to locate the CPU code I need for passmark or versus sites.

Any general opinions on it or comments all welcome.

HP 15.6-inch Pavilion Notebook PC (Midnight Black) - (AMD A10 Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Windows 81) by HP http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IG55RWC/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_EhZ4tb1NVMS46

And this is the one I would really like but it's a bit steep and also the waiting time is a bit of a turnoff but comparisons welcome. If anyone has an opinion on which is the better machine I'd much appreciated it.

Asus Zenbook UX303LA-R5160H 13.3-inch HD+ LED Ultrabook (Intel Co... http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K7Y5NLA/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_AkZ4tb0DBM5G2

Would someone mind taking a look at the laptop for me - I can't seem to locate the CPU code I need for passmark or versus sites.

Any general opinions on it or comments all welcome.

HP 15.6-inch Pavilion Notebook PC (Midnight Black) - (AMD A10 Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Windows 81) by HP http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IG55RWC/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_EhZ4tb1NVMS46
    Processor
    AMD Quad-Core A10-4655M APU with Radeon HD 7620G Graphics (2 GHz, 4 MB cache)

Graphics
    AMD Radeon HD 7620G/8670M Dual GPU (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Generally RAM.

Or worse, the "hard drive" (usually said while pointing at the case).

• Registered Users Posts: 83,258 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Or at the screen....

Generally speaking if you don't game I'd probably lean toward an i5 over an A10. If you do game I've had colleagues buy and try the A10 and they've been very happy with the results for gaming around those price ranges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 7620G isn't really any better than Intel's HD4000.

But as it happens that HP comes with an 8670m as well, so if you do planning on playing games, it'd be a bit better than the i5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 smithwills

I am looking for better one.

is saveonlaptops still the go to for a laptop?

I found one I really liked on Amazon but it is €100 more than it is on www.elara.ie, anyone know anything about that company? I always buy off Amazon even compared with PC World because they offer a full refund within a year as opposed to PC World always sending things away for repair and leaving you without a laptop.

Would someone take a look at this one for me - a little out of my budget but I think your getting a lot for your money - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JMAIPT2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=E4V5X5ZCUJTY&coliid=I24VB8HRJJV37L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In what way? That's an absolutely terrible spec for the money involved.

What are you looking for exactly?

Ability to play games? Portable size? Lightweight laptop?

In what way? That's an absolutely terrible spec for the money involved.

What are you looking for exactly?

Ability to play games? Portable size? Lightweight laptop?

Portable size definitely, my last laptop was a 13.3 inch and that's why I changed my mind about considering a 15.6 inch again. Light weight is a huge factor. 3 USB ports. Long battery life. Windows 8. Fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

At this stage I'd take a basic dual core, 4 gigs of ram and a 128Gb ssd over a I7 with 32gigs and a 5200rpm 1Tb drive.

In the last 5 years for me the difference between a fast and slow machine has been hard disk response time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

At this stage I'd take a basic dual core, 4 gigs of ram and a 128Gb ssd over a I7 with 32gigs and a 5200rpm 1Tb drive.

In the last 5 years for me the difference between a fast and slow machine has been hard disk response time.

If your computer usage is limited to word processing, spreadsheets and a bit of web browsing then I would agree. If you use your computer for anything that does much computing then I wouldn't.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

With those specs, it will be very slow trying to use Word and Excel. It will freeze up sometimes but if it's just email then you're fine. Honestly though, the i3 processors are worth it and make life much easier for everyday use. I think an SSD is a bit of an overkill for everyday use unless you need performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If your computer usage is limited to word processing, spreadsheets and a bit of web browsing then I would agree

You mean like 95% of computer users.
    Mr. G wrote: »
    With those specs, it will be very slow trying to use Word and Excel. It will freeze up sometimes but if it's just email then you're fine. Honestly though, the i3 processors are worth it and make life much easier for everyday use. I think an SSD is a bit of an overkill for everyday use unless you need performance.

Word and excel work fine on a modern dual core in terms of CPU power. They are not exactly bastions of multi-threaded program design.

If you encounter a modern slow machine, its not running 100% cpu usage or 100% ram usage. The seek time and random IOP's are always killing the crappy platter drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

They are not exactly bastions of multi-threaded program design.

Hahaha. :D
    The seek time and random IOP's are always killing the crappy platter drive.

Agree strongly. Any piece of crap laptop will fly along with a lovely, lovely SSD.

Advertisement