Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions for a trip to Kerry tomorrow - quick answers appreciated!

Options
  • 06-08-2014 9:24pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm off to Kerry tomorrow. Staying in Killarney for the first night and a B&B in cork the second. I was there years ago but I'm after some advice and tips - and I have a few questions.

From Dublin, which route should I take? Google says go via limerick but I'd be more inclined to go the cork road. Am I wrong?

So I'll get to Killarney around lunchtime tomorrow (Thursday) and need to figure out what to do. I might do the gap of dunloe Thursday afternoon. Am I ok to drive it? Last time it was blocked with horse & carriages and seemed difficult. Which direction should I go?

I'll prob do the whole ring of kerry on day 2 - Is clockwise the best direction to go? Or does clockwise get more traffic & busses etc? What are some places to go and and explore along the way?

Does anyone know exactly where on the ring of kerry this is??
    http://snag.gy/h6MGu.jpg
    http://snag.gy/38qAV.jpg
    I took these photos years ago, I remember coming around a very sharp bend on a bridge over a river, then pulling in at the side of the road - as we could see the sea. I'd love to go there again. Does anyone recognise it?

Sorry for the random questions but if anyone can give any other tips for the area that would be great!

Thanks
    Z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Take the cork road through mallow and onto killarney.
    Sorry dont have answers to your other questions.
    Enjoy your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Hi the pictures look like they're on Kenmare Bay between Kenmare and sneem

There is a small pier off the road down there and it might be that

the bridge you referred to is possibly blackwater bridge in the same area

it might be near the Parnasilla Hotel

there is parking near the bridge and you can get down to shore from there.

the picture with the guy sitting next to the single tree could be caragh lake too

Yeah, the pics are taken a mile or 2 from Blackwater Bridge, one looking across at Beara, the other looking out the bay.

As for directions on the Ring, all the buses travel counter clockwise so you could be stuck behind them unless you get out early. Going clockwise is probably better, you might meet them coming around corners where they tend to swing out, so use caution on narrower stretches like the road up to Molls Gap. Try to pop out to Valentia, but that will add a bit of time. Staigue Fort pretty good too. And head into Kenmare which is just off the Ring. Otherwise, the scenery most of the way pretty special anyway.

In the Gap, midweek shouldn't be too bad. The carriages travelling out from Kate Kearneys can be fuller as people can disembark and get the boats back in. You can drive it, but expect to pull in a few times.

I guess we'll always wonder...did we answer in time or were we too late...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks for the advice guys - it was all really helpful! I managed to find that exact spot, it was exactly where you said it would be! Delighted - cheers. I did the ring of kerry anti clockwise and got stuck behind a few buses which sucked, ah well. Did the gap of Dunloe at 6pm on Thursday and almost no traffic so it was great.
    Great trip, fantastic part of the world!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement