Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I've had my first SD card failure...

• 06-08-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭

Thankfully nothing too serious as it was the card in my carry around P&S and I'd copied most of what was on the card anyway (I don't wipe cards until necessary)

First free recovery option I found (Adroit Photo Recovery) seems to be working though.

But it has probably accelerated my DSLR upgrade plans. I don't think I'll EVER buy a camera for any serious purpose that doesn't have 2 card slots. Currently have a D90 so any natural upgrade route from there should be OK.

No particular point to this thread except there seem to have been quite a few card failures reported recently. Or maybe it's just my imagination.

Anyway thanks for reading, I feel better for sharing :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

just out of interest, what brand card was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

It's a Fuji I think. I'll confirm later.

The"free" recovery software found all my files but wants me to pay to get them back! As I have 90% saved anyway I mightn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 messythedude

I had a fuji sd card that failed also - it was the control unit of the memory card that had failed and i wasnt able to access any of the photos. It was my friends wedding which made it worse! I sent it off to two companys in Ireland who said they could recover the photos but 1 company could do nothing and i had to pay 40e just for them to look at it. The second company got 80% back but i was still missing the family photos!

after searching online i found this company called recoverfab.com - took him 3 days to recover 100% of the card and all the photos back - and half the price of what the crowd that only got 80% back for me. he is in germany so i was afraid of sending it but after reading all the reviews it worked out perfect and its a pity i didnt go to him in the first place.

just keep it in mind guys if you know anyone who has a card that become corrupt and software cant fix these guys are amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I can confirm it was a Fuji card.

I managed to get the images back using Adroit Photo Recovery. You can download and run the software and it will tell you what it can recover. You then decide if you want to pay for the s/w to get your pics back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I need to buy a few memory cards; any particular brands to go for or avoid? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I had Fuji fail on me and I'd never buy one again. I always use Sandisk but recently bought a Transcend after getting good reviews from people who use them professionally.

Advertisement